How do you recommend setting up SATA & EIDE on same PC?

Time2Ride

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I did a search and read through a lot of posts but it seems like everyone has a different situation. I did learn alot though :) I haven't built a PC since the Cyrix days !!

I'm buying components for a new build (Conroe, of course) and while thinking through the installation, i have a question about connecting a previous hard drive. In my current Dell PC, i added a secondary drive 160Gb Western Digital EIDE that holds all of my iTunes. It's less than a year old and that's all i use it for.

I bought a new hard drive Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB SATA that i want to be my main/primary/boot drive.

Are there too many compatability issues with SATA/EIDE to make it worthwhile? Or should i just buy another SATA hard drive and transfer all of my data over so i would have 2 SATA drives?

I also saw an EIDE to SATA converter cable? Is that a better option?

Thanks,

Time2Ride

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Converters are never recommended by the manufactures and will void a warranty ( no that they'll ever find out) if they somehow they hear thats a part of you RAM reason.

What mobo are you planning to use, btw? IDE and SATA drive can co-exists, as long as the board you want to use current supports 1 or more IDE channel.

Time2Ride

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I haven't made a final decision on mobo yet. I'm still waiting for Conroe availability 7/24/06 and then I will look at all the mobo choices. So, right now I'm pretty open. I'm watching NewEgg and Tiger Direct and they don't have many mobo choices for Conroe posted yet. I guess they don't want a bunch of pre-order questions.

A couple of options I have found are the Intel D975XBX Gigabyte and GA-G1975X boards. Both of these have SATA and EIDE connectors. (I plan to get a decent mobo probably spend around $200-$250 on it).

I guess my question came up because i saw a bunch of different posts with varying degrees of success integrating these drives. So, i was trying to find out if there is a "best practice" for getting these two types of drives to work together or if it was going to be a pain i'd just get two SATA drives.

Appreciate the help....Time2Ride

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I have never had an issue running sata and ide drives together. What possible issue could there be? They will both show up in bios, make the sata the first drive, then when you install windows make sure you partition/format and install on the right drive. After that you will boot from that drive and Windows will assign a drive letter to the ide one....

TheTallGuy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
If you're worried about wiping your music, or putting XP on the wrong drive, just add the IDE after you're up and running with XP on the SATA. No problem.

Time2Ride

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Thanks Waylander......one common item of confusion i read was which jumper setting to use on the EIDE drive. The confusion was because even though it's a second drive, you still need to set it to Master. At least that's what i was reading. Do you know if this is correct or not?

Time2Ride

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
TG, good idea. Yea, i don't want to dump the tunes!

I think this may be the best way for me. Get the build up and running on XP, make sure all is good, do all of my updates, then add the EIDE. Sounds like a plan. Just need to figure out the jumper setting?

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I have never had a problem and i have used several different drives in the past while. No SATA and PATA compatibility problems at all.

alfor

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
The first thing for everyone to do is get there terms correct before giving advice or opinions. The correct term is PATA not IDE. IDE refers to the controller integrated on the drive. PATA as well as SATA refers to the type of connection for the IDE controller.

G

go to google do a search "sata to ide" and it will give u results most cables are under $20

Dlifnxs

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Will this work with the ide driveas the os drive and the sata drive as second?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Dlifnxs: no problem. Once the drive units are correctly installed on your machine and the port parameters configured, ANY drive can be the boot unit as long as it actually is set up as bootable with an OS installed on it. There is a place in the BIOS Setup where you specify what is the Boot Priority Sequence. Most people set theirs to try the optical drive unit first and, if that does not have an OS to boot (the usual case if you don't put a disk in the drive), the second choice set is the hard drive you want to use. As you set this, the BIOS will make available a list of drive devices and you just pick the one you want. Unless you have some other you want to use, just do NOT set it to try any other unit.

In my case, with up to four possible choices allowed in the BIOS list here, I set it to floppy drive first (yes, I have one), optical, then my SATA_0 port that has the OS installed on that drive, and NO fourth choice. My second choice, an optical drive, is actually on an IDE (PATA) port, but that is a non-issue, it is just a valid drive unit.