Your question

AMD X2-3800 vs X2-5000 after price drop

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2006 5:25:22 PM

After the coming AMD price drop, for a system to be used for stock and financial trading (via the net) with 2 or 3 monitors and a 2D video card (mostly all 2D charts, etc) would I notice or get much difference in speed with an AMD X2 5000 vs an AMD X2 3800?

Would the projected $150 price difference between the 3800 and the 5000 be worth it?

What will be the price/performance "sweet spot" for the X2's after the price drop?

Right now, I don't think I want to wait for the Conroe CPU's and mobo's to sort themselves out. Maybe in a year. Is that a good idea? I want my system up and going within a month.

Thanks guy's (and gal's)

gar

More about : amd 3800 5000 price drop

July 18, 2006 5:53:52 PM

you might be lucky within a month if you were to try and get conroe. Conroe releases very soon.... the next week or so. If you are able to get your hands on a conroe then do so and screw x2. If you cant then pay no more than $350 for an x2 processor as you will probably be losing money over price/performance ratio. You can also overclock slower processors to get the performance you want in faster processors. So you might want to look into getting the 4800 or the 4400 when the price goes down and then overclock them to higher speeds.
July 18, 2006 6:03:40 PM

Wouldn't you need a card to support two monitors? What you're describing doesn't seem like you even need the x2-3800. How about a bottom end cpu/mobo rig and a card with multi-monitor support?
Related resources
July 18, 2006 6:27:53 PM

I see no reason why you would even need a dual core processor for 2d video and stock trading.
Unless you have money to throw away just get yourself a fast single core 3500+ or higher. You can always upgrade to dual core later if you feel the need.
Otherwise I would just go with the x2 3800, you will see no difference between that and a x2 5000 trading stocks.
July 18, 2006 7:00:59 PM

I think at best you'd notice VERY minor differences between the x2 3800 and x2 5000 for online trading. If you're going to be running lots of windows on several different monitors I think a low end dual core like the x2 3800 would be a good choice.

That being said, if you're building from scratch right now anyway you'd be crazy not to wait a couple weeks and see if you can get your hands on a Conroe. The E6600 outperforms AMD's top of the line chip in most benchmarks, and is supposed to only cost around $300...stability really shouldn't be an issue.

You'd be much better off spending a $150 upgrade to go from a x2 3800 to a E6600 IMO.
a c 487 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 123 À AMD
July 18, 2006 7:16:47 PM

Unless you are doing some financial modelling (I am assuming you are not) on your PC to determine if a stock is worth buying, then you really don't need anything as powerful as a X2 3800+. A lot of the financial tools are available via the internet, so I think your primary concern should be a secure and reliable internet connection. If you do something like video encoding or play games after you finish trading, then that's a different story.

If you feel the urge to upgrade, the X2 3800+ should suffice for a very long time.
July 18, 2006 8:22:45 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you need a card to support two monitors? What you're describing doesn't seem like you even need the x2-3800. How about a bottom end cpu/mobo rig and a card with multi-monitor support?

If you're talking about a video card, yes and I will be using a PNY Quadro NVS 440 which supports 4 monitors and is mostly used in work stations and for financial trading, etc.
July 18, 2006 8:31:41 PM

Quote:
you might be lucky within a month if you were to try and get conroe. Conroe releases very soon.... the next week or so. If you are able to get your hands on a conroe then do so and screw x2. If you cant then pay no more than $350 for an x2 processor as you will probably be losing money over price/performance ratio. You can also overclock slower processors to get the performance you want in faster processors. So you might want to look into getting the 4800 or the 4400 when the price goes down and then overclock them to higher speeds.

Thanks. Boy, people seem to really love those Conroe's don't they? Are they really that good? Are they going to be that affordable compared to the X2's?
July 18, 2006 8:39:06 PM

Quote:
Unless you are doing some financial modelling (I am assuming you are not) on your PC to determine if a stock is worth buying, then you really don't need anything as powerful as a X2 3800+. A lot of the financial tools are available via the internet, so I think your primary concern should be a secure and reliable internet connection. If you do something like video encoding or play games after you finish trading, then that's a different story.

If you feel the urge to upgrade, the X2 3800+ should suffice for a very long time.

No, I won't be doing any financial modelling (but I might try to get my girlfriend to do some NUDE modelling for me) just running multiple charts and programs for online trading.

I do have a good internet connection (about 3000 kbps) that I no longer use wireless, I find it's faster with the RJ45 cable connected to the computer right from the modem.
July 18, 2006 8:46:05 PM

Quote:
I see no reason why you would even need a dual core processor for 2d video and stock trading.
Unless you have money to throw away just get yourself a fast single core 3500+ or higher. You can always upgrade to dual core later if you feel the need.
Otherwise I would just go with the x2 3800, you will see no difference between that and a x2 5000 trading stocks.

I thought dual core would help me with downloading multiple charts quickly on multiple monitors. Besides, if the X2-3800 drops to $150-170 in about a week, that seems cheap to me. Plus, I "have money to throw away".
July 19, 2006 12:19:44 AM

Quote:
Are they going to be that affordable compared to the X2's?

Entry level Conroe, E6300, at about $200, is as good (better in some cases) than a FX62, which will be about $500 (give or take) after price drop. Why overpay?

Those figures are not right. There are conroes that beat the FX62, but they have 4MB cache, the E6300 only had 2MB I believe.
a c 487 à CPUs
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 123 À AMD
July 19, 2006 1:15:05 AM

Quote:

No, I won't be doing any financial modelling (but I might try to get my girlfriend to do some NUDE modelling for me) just running multiple charts and programs for online trading.

I do have a good internet connection (about 3000 kbps) that I no longer use wireless, I find it's faster with the RJ45 cable connected to the computer right from the modem.

Depend on what you are using right now, I may just suggest that you don't need to upgrade at all. But that depends on a couple of things:

1. What are you doing with it other than online trading?

2. What great is your urge to upgrade, even if your current system may be just fine?
July 19, 2006 4:58:34 PM

"Depend on what you are using right now, I may just suggest that you don't need to upgrade at all. But that depends on a couple of things:

1. What are you doing with it other than online trading?

2. What great is your urge to upgrade, even if your current system may be just fine?"

Thanks Jag.

What I am using right now is my old Fujitsu C2111 Lifebook laptop. It's about 3-4 years old. The mobo has been replaced twice because the AC connector breaks off of the mobo and can't be repaired.

The video card is an ATI Mobility with only 16 megs of RAM. The video crashes a lot and I don't know why. I've tried upgrading the drivers, but no luck so far.

It seems slow and overwhelmed wtih the online trading charts etc. I also run a little live video feed from the trading software and it all gets slow and crashes easily.

It came with 256 Ram and I added another stick, so it has 512 max now. Not enough I don't think for what I'm doing.

I want to go to 2 or 3 monitors and I think I need more power and speed. With all the charts changing and downloading, I think I need more CPU, Ram and Video power. The new video card will have 256 k Ram and dual GPU's and dual 400 mhz Ramdacs, whatever those are.

With the speed that the stock and currency markets move and fluctuate and the amount of money involved, the cost of a new computer is not that significant.

I think I want a new system pretty quickly and don't know if I want to wait for the Conroe. There don't seem to be that many mobo's for them yet either. How many are there and what is their price?

Sorry for the long winded reply.

People here are great and VERY helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you all.
July 19, 2006 5:26:26 PM

Quote:

Well, for nude modeling I say spare no expense! :D 
Quote:
I think I want a new system pretty quickly and don't know if I want to wait for the Conroe. There don't seem to be that many mobo's for them yet either. How many are there and what is their price?

Check out this list for a pretty comprehensive list of all the boards to support Conroe:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101408
The list doesn't have prices on it, but it looks like most of those on the list weren't out at the time the list was made. I'm sure NewEgg will have many, if not most, of these boards for you to check prices.

AMD boards seem to be pretty solid by now for AM2 so that would be a point in their favor.

Conroe would be awesome, but if supply is low and demand is high then just go with the X2 3800 (assuming the price drop on the AMD chips doesn't cause a similar scenario for the x2 3800s).

On the flip side, if you can get a Conroe shortly after the launch then definitely go for it!
July 20, 2006 5:37:58 AM

Thanks Fosh,

I'll check out the C2 mobos at extreme.
!