High-End Gaming Com. Need Help

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hey everyone, hope you can help me a bit here with building a system for me with the primary use to play high-end games; Oblivion, BF2, F.E.A.R. and some movie/sound editing.
I have a budget on around 3000$ - dosen't mean I have to use them all :p - I would like the latest Hardware with the best perfomance on the market.

What I would like in it:
Soundcard
GPU Card
CPU ( Conroe :D )
Motherboard
DVD Burner
DDR2 RAM ( 2x1GB or 1x2GB )

I already have a NorthQ PSU on 400 Watt; http://www.northq.com/products/powersupply/nq4001at.html
I don't know if I have to change that, but some of my mates say's it isn't needed, if it is, please find another one for me that suits the system best.

I would be pleased if you could find/make 1 - 3 different systems on 1 - 3 different sales budgets (Know what I mean? :/) so I could see some exampels on systems high-end gaming computers that allows me to play Oblivion etc.

Thanks for reading this :)
Sorry for my grammar/english - from Denmark :roll:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hey everyone, hope you can help me a bit here with building a system for me with the primary use to play high-end games; Oblivion, BF2, F.E.A.R. and some movie/sound editing.
I have a budget on around 3000$ - dosen't mean I have to use them all :p - I would like the latest Hardware with the best perfomance on the market.

What I would like in it:
Soundcard
GPU Card
CPU ( Conroe :D )
Motherboard
DVD Burner
DDR2 RAM ( 2x1GB or 1x2GB )

I already have a NorthQ PSU on 400 Watt; http://www.northq.com/products/powersupply/nq4001at.html
I don't know if I have to change that, but some of my mates say's it isn't needed, if it is, please find another one for me that suits the system best.

I would be pleased if you could find/make 1 - 3 different systems on 1 - 3 different sales budgets (Know what I mean? :/) so I could see some exampels on systems high-end gaming computers that allows me to play Oblivion etc.

Thanks for reading this :)
Sorry for my grammar/english - from Denmark :roll:

Ok lets tackle these one by one. Link me to the store you want to buy from, and I will try to edit this post to links to what I give you.

PSU- 400W from a brand i never heard of. Replace it with a Truepower II 550W from Antec.

Sound Card: on-board is fine in most cases

GPU: Look at the 7950 from Nvidia or X1900XT from ATI

CPU: E6600

Motherboard: No idea, someone help

DVD burner: NEC or Lite-on $40ish USD

DDR2RAM- Corsair or OCZ DDR2-800 CLS4

Case: Antec P180

I know the SATA interface itself won't make a difference, although it will help by getting rid of the relatively bulky IDE cable that any other dvd burner would use. However, my suggestion for that burner was mainly because of the 8MB buffer. In theory this will help speed up application installs, since the optical drive is still a big bottleneck in that area.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
i'd recommend the E6700 if your going to spend that much thats plenty of money to get that cpu, even if he is going to overclock the 6600

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I know the SATA interface itself won't make a difference, although it will help by getting rid of the relatively bulky IDE cable that any other dvd burner would use. However, my suggestion for that burner was mainly because of the 8MB buffer. In theory this will help speed up application installs, since the optical drive is still a big bottleneck in that area.

I wonder if anyone here has tested this theory? I read one review of the SATA Plextor and it was a little slower than the Panasonic IDE.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
First of all; thanks for helping me :)

1) I thought about buying the Extreme X6800 Core 2, i've seen the prices - $999 - and that bothers me a little, so i'm more over to the Duo E6700. The only problem is that I don't have a clue on how to OC it. I've never tried it :/
How much was it the Duo E6700 have been overclocked too with air cooling in stabile condition. If I have some money left over, I would try go for some Water Cooling, which one should I chose here?

2) I've seen a lot of test from both Nvidia & ATI's; 7950 & X1900XT, the thing is that I can't really choose which one i'm going to buy.

3) I'm more over to Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fal1ty FPS, but how big is the difference, haven't really had luck with finding any test about it.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

With such a large budget available, I recommend that you get a really solid PS since you could end up with a high current GPU or two, at least eventually. I've had good luck with the OCZ Gamextreme and the mushkin PS. Both have four 12V rails and can handle a large load with ease. The large FSP is also a very bulletproof unit. I've had lousy luck with Antecs as have others here.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Sorry I ment X1900XTX / NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
Currently thees are the greatest GPU Cards on the market.

For the PSU, how much Watt would you recomend? What names should I be going after? I really dont have A clue on how much Watt a good reliable PSU should have etc.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I would also suggest going for something that is a bit cheaper like the 1900xt. With DX10 expected next year you might want to upgrade so get a good card now and a great one later...

As for PSU, all the brands listed by Clue are good but also look at Silverstone and Enermax. 600W is probably more than you'll ever need even if you add water cooling. As to water cooling, there are quite a few threads in the Coolers and Heatsinks Forum. It really depends on how much you want to spend and whether you want to DIY or buy a kit.

Don't forget to get a really good case with good airflow. Antec, Lian-Li, Thermaltake and Coolermaster make some good cases. If you are going to watercool now or later then a larger case makes that easier.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
For the PSU, how much Watt would you recomend? What names should I be going after? I really dont have A clue on how much Watt a good reliable PSU should have etc.

I mentioned the OCZ Gamextreme, the big FSP and the mushkin. Mushkin only makes one unit and there's a $40 MIR through Newegg right now. This is a 650 watt PS but I believe it is conservatively rated. You can choose between 600 and 700 watt OCZ GE's. The 600 should be sufficient to drive a DX-10 rig or a big SLI or XFire rig. I've run XFired 1900XTs on the 700 watt unit and it didn't break a sweat.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I almost forgot the main thing :/

HD!
I don't really know how big such a thing should be, around 160 - 300GB?
Now when Windows Vista comes out I presume it should have a lot of space.

Btw, I thought about some more expensive RAM, real gamer RAM :>

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

You can pick up a 250GB HD for around 80 bucks. I like the enterprise series WD drives like this. Five year warranties are nice. You can also step up to a 400GB for about $180 or a 500 for a bit more. It just depends on your needs but I can't see going smaller than 250 for a desktop HD these days.

I almost forgot the main thing :/

HD!
Now when Windows Vista comes out I presume it should have a lot of space.

Btw, I thought about some more expensive RAM, real gamer RAM :>

Based on Beta 2 Build 5384 of Vista, the OS after install will use approximately 7GB of drive space.

Muff89

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Ok I thought of a system so far, so here goes:

CPU - Conroe Duo E6700 ($530)

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127206 ($550)

GPU Cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118222 ($50)

Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144424 Don't know if this is a good gamer Harddrive ($169)

Motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...w.aspx?ProductID=2295&ProductName=GA-965P-DQ6 Maybe another one, will see when they get on the market for "real". ($???)

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227030 ($199)

Sound - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102189 ($199)

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001 ($134)

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129017 ($130)

Speakers - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120 ($238)

DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827249006 ($105)

$2305 (Without knowing what the MB is costing, I guess $200)

This is my thoughts, please comment Hardware that you would change :)

Suggested Changes:

CPU: Drop to the E6600. It's exactly the same as the E6700, just clocked higher. Overclocking these chips will be very easy.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X1900XT <--- Better specs than the MSI, and $40 cheaper.

Video Card Heatsink: Zalman VF900 <--- This one should keep your temps lower than the Fatal1ty FS-V7, and it's cheaper too. Anything with the Fatal1ty name has an inflated price, just because because of the name.

Hard Drive: Use this for your games and OS: WD Raptor 74GB SATA 10k RPM, and this one for general storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum

My estimate on the motherboard would be about $250. The GA-965P-DQ6 will allow you to upgrade to Kentsfield (Intel's Quad Core CPU). If you don't want Kentsfield support, go for the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I'd add - get two of those WD Raptors. The main "drive" would be a RAID-1 stack. They run hot and hard, and data recovery is a total pain.

RAID-1 also gives you better read throughput, though no increase in writing bandwidth or speed. This is great for games - levels load very fast.

2k7zero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
First of all; thanks for helping me :)

1) I thought about buying the Extreme X6800 Core 2, i've seen the prices - $999 - and that bothers me a little, so i'm more over to the Duo E6700. The only problem is that I don't have a clue on how to OC it. I've never tried it :/
How much was it the Duo E6700 have been overclocked too with air cooling in stabile condition. If I have some money left over, I would try go for some Water Cooling, which one should I chose here?

2) I've seen a lot of test from both Nvidia & ATI's; 7950 & X1900XT, the thing is that I can't really choose which one i'm going to buy.

3) I'm more over to Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fal1ty FPS, but how big is the difference, haven't really had luck with finding any test about it.

1.I've read in some overclocker forums the E6700 overclocking up to 5ghz on liquid cooling.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I would wait on the H20. See how your temps are before switching, or else it may just be a waste of money. You'll probably be so happy with Core 2's performance that you'll have no need to overclock, and if you do want to, the chips run cool enough that 3000MHz on air is a conservative estimate.

But I do doubt that 5GHz is running cool, even under a waterblock.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Danmark hejsa =P... :D

i am from denmark too.. (but i have read somewhere that we are not alowed to speak danish (wich is fair)
anyway.. i collected my computer about a month ago and it runs smooth.. i am satisfied with everything (exept i could have used a better CPU, but did not want to spend too much money.. (the price droped 2 days after =S)
anyway, you can look at my signature and maby get some ideas from that.. you are also more than welcome to email me.. but be aware that i know nothing about overclocking (or at least i have ne exerience with it)..
i can only recommend the 7900GTX as i run oblivion at full settings (exept for selfshaddow, wich makes people look like they all have big beards..)

and i am also happy with my SATA2 HD and my 2GB's of RAM..

and about the kabinet.. it looks pretty cool (window and blue LSD) with a great airflow (two 12cm fans and one 8 cm), but it is a little noisy i think..

about CPU it is hard to tell nowadays.. it used to be AMD very you clearly got the most out of your money.. but things looks like changing.. but maby it changes back when AM2 comes.. (i am going to buy one when the prices settle i think) but AM2 is not introduced this year i think.

but i am gled to see that i am not the only dane in here :wink:

BTW!
if you want to buy the things at the same place (wich is good for RMA), and maby even have it collected for you, check out SHG.dk

and to the rest of you, dont be surprised about the danish prices for electronics, for some things we have to buy nearly twice as much =S.
as an eksample, my system costed more than 2000$ - without the stereo that is.