Ink Level report -- HP 5650 on network

I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a home-network. It is shared with a second computer
(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
only the printing initiated from that computer.

Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it is to be hoped correct) on both machines?

P. Taine

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
printer to the driver.
Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer from
the network)?
Tony

P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
>I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
>home-network. It is shared with a second computer
>(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from
>the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
>only the printing initiated from that computer.
>
>Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
>is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
>
>P. Taine

I followed some rather detailed instructions from HP tech-support (but now they want money to talk to me). I connected
the printer the XP machine (the host-to-be) and installed a downloaded driver/software package (from the HP site). This
was Version 9.4.2.0 of "HP DeskJet Full Feature software/driver: For USB and parallel cable" for the 5650. I then moved
the printer to the 98SE machine (the client-to-be) and installed the same software package. (Note that I had to
uninstall the printer and software from each machine first.) Then I moved the printer back to the host machine and
"shared" it. Finally I configured the client to print to the shared printer on the host.

Everything seems to work, save the ink level display.

I guess I'm going to have to fill in the damn, interminable form on the HP site and spend a few days e-mailing back and
forth to India! I hate that form! I had hoped there was some obvious fix that would be known here.

Cyril

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:53:27 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

>Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
>printer to the driver.
>Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
>the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
>adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer from
>the network)?
>Tony
>

>P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
>>I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
>>home-network. It is shared with a second computer
>>(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from
>>the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
>>only the printing initiated from that computer.
>>
>>Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
>>is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
>>
>>P. Taine

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi Cyril
Strange problem but I suspect that the way you have installed the printer on
the Win98 machine is not the best way.
If the problem is important enough to you then I suggest that you try this:-

Uninstall the driver from the Win98 computer and reboot.
Leave the printer attached and installed on the WinXP computer.
On the Win98 machine use the control panel to "add new printer" (don't have a
win98 computer anymore so this may be a bit sketchy), choose network printer,
search for the printer on the WinXP computer (from the Win98 computer over the
network) and select it (or enter the shared name if requested), press the
appropriate buttons (OK or whatever). Some files will be transferred and you
should have access to the printer from the Win98 computer. Reboot again.
If this does not fix the problem then there is some difference in the way Win98
and WinXP interpret the ink level information sent by the printer and you may
have to go through the Calcutta route!!! There should be a telephone number you
can call HP directly for assistance I have used it several times where I live,
obviously you will need to check that out in your country. By the way check the
HP website and search for any tips for your printer, a few HP printer drivers
do not uninstall correctly and HP post workarounds for this, not sure if your
model is affected.
Tony

P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
>I followed some rather detailed instructions from HP tech-support (but now
>they want money to talk to me). I connected
>the printer the XP machine (the host-to-be) and installed a downloaded
>driver/software package (from the HP site). This
>was Version 9.4.2.0 of "HP DeskJet Full Feature software/driver: For USB and
>parallel cable" for the 5650. I then moved
>the printer to the 98SE machine (the client-to-be) and installed the same
>software package. (Note that I had to
>uninstall the printer and software from each machine first.) Then I moved the
>printer back to the host machine and
>"shared" it. Finally I configured the client to print to the shared printer
>on the host.
>
>Everything seems to work, save the ink level display.
>
>I guess I'm going to have to fill in the damn, interminable form on the HP
>site and spend a few days e-mailing back and
>forth to India! I hate that form! I had hoped there was some obvious fix
>that would be known here.
>
>Cyril
>
>On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:53:27 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
>
>>Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
>>printer to the driver.
>>Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
>>the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
>>adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer
>>from
>>the network)?
>>Tony
>>

>>P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
>>>I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
>>>home-network. It is shared with a second computer
>>>(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level
>>>from
>>>the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
>>>only the printing initiated from that computer.
>>>
>>>Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
>>>is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
>>>
>>>P. Taine

Tony,

Defining the virtual printer was part of the "configure printer on client" step. The moving of the printer back and
forth was (I a pretty sure) because the software/drives wouldn't install if the printer wasn't attached, and this
amounted to an update of the drivers (again, I think). There is a 'phone number, but I was asked for my credit card
before they would help me (the printer is out of warrenty).

P. Taine