Ink Level report -- HP 5650 on network

I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a home-network. It is shared with a second computer
(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
only the printing initiated from that computer.

Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it is to be hoped correct) on both machines?

P. Taine
4 answers Last reply
More about level report 5650 network

    Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
    printer to the driver.
    Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
    the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
    adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer from
    the network)?
    Tony

    P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
    >I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
    >home-network. It is shared with a second computer
    >(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from
    >the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
    >only the printing initiated from that computer.
    >
    >Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
    >is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
    >
    >P. Taine

    I followed some rather detailed instructions from HP tech-support (but now they want money to talk to me). I connected
    the printer the XP machine (the host-to-be) and installed a downloaded driver/software package (from the HP site). This
    was Version 9.4.2.0 of "HP DeskJet Full Feature software/driver: For USB and parallel cable" for the 5650. I then moved
    the printer to the 98SE machine (the client-to-be) and installed the same software package. (Note that I had to
    uninstall the printer and software from each machine first.) Then I moved the printer back to the host machine and
    "shared" it. Finally I configured the client to print to the shared printer on the host.

    Everything seems to work, save the ink level display.

    I guess I'm going to have to fill in the damn, interminable form on the HP site and spend a few days e-mailing back and
    forth to India! I hate that form! I had hoped there was some obvious fix that would be known here.

    Cyril

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:53:27 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

    >Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
    >printer to the driver.
    >Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
    >the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
    >adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer from
    >the network)?
    >Tony
    >

    >P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
    >>I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
    >>home-network. It is shared with a second computer
    >>(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level from
    >>the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
    >>only the printing initiated from that computer.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
    >>is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
    >>
    >>P. Taine

    Hi Cyril
    Strange problem but I suspect that the way you have installed the printer on
    the Win98 machine is not the best way.
    If the problem is important enough to you then I suggest that you try this:-

    Uninstall the driver from the Win98 computer and reboot.
    Leave the printer attached and installed on the WinXP computer.
    On the Win98 machine use the control panel to "add new printer" (don't have a
    win98 computer anymore so this may be a bit sketchy), choose network printer,
    search for the printer on the WinXP computer (from the Win98 computer over the
    network) and select it (or enter the shared name if requested), press the
    appropriate buttons (OK or whatever). Some files will be transferred and you
    should have access to the printer from the Win98 computer. Reboot again.
    If this does not fix the problem then there is some difference in the way Win98
    and WinXP interpret the ink level information sent by the printer and you may
    have to go through the Calcutta route!!! There should be a telephone number you
    can call HP directly for assistance I have used it several times where I live,
    obviously you will need to check that out in your country. By the way check the
    HP website and search for any tips for your printer, a few HP printer drivers
    do not uninstall correctly and HP post workarounds for this, not sure if your
    model is affected.
    Tony

    P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
    >I followed some rather detailed instructions from HP tech-support (but now
    >they want money to talk to me). I connected
    >the printer the XP machine (the host-to-be) and installed a downloaded
    >driver/software package (from the HP site). This
    >was Version 9.4.2.0 of "HP DeskJet Full Feature software/driver: For USB and
    >parallel cable" for the 5650. I then moved
    >the printer to the 98SE machine (the client-to-be) and installed the same
    >software package. (Note that I had to
    >uninstall the printer and software from each machine first.) Then I moved the
    >printer back to the host machine and
    >"shared" it. Finally I configured the client to print to the shared printer
    >on the host.
    >
    >Everything seems to work, save the ink level display.
    >
    >I guess I'm going to have to fill in the damn, interminable form on the HP
    >site and spend a few days e-mailing back and
    >forth to India! I hate that form! I had hoped there was some obvious fix
    >that would be known here.
    >
    >Cyril
    >
    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:53:27 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
    >>printer to the driver.
    >>Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
    >>the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
    >>adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer
    >>from
    >>the network)?
    >>Tony
    >>

    >>P. Taine <user@domaine.invalid> wrote:
    >>>I have an HP 5650 attached (USB) to a computer (running XP Pro) on a
    >>>home-network. It is shared with a second computer
    >>>(running 98SE) on the same network. When I check the estimated ink level
    >>>from
    >>>the 98SE computer it seems to reflect
    >>>only the printing initiated from that computer.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to have the ink level estimates reported be the same (and, it
    >>>is to be hoped correct) on both machines?
    >>>
    >>>P. Taine

    Tony,

    Defining the virtual printer was part of the "configure printer on client" step. The moving of the printer back and
    forth was (I a pretty sure) because the software/drives wouldn't install if the printer wasn't attached, and this
    amounted to an update of the drivers (again, I think). There is a 'phone number, but I was asked for my credit card
    before they would help me (the printer is out of warrenty).

    P. Taine

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 23:28:34 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

> [...]
    >>printer back to the host machine and
    >>"shared" it. Finally I configured the client to print to the shared printer
    >>on the host.
    >>
    >>Everything seems to work, save the ink level display.
    >>
    >>I guess I'm going to have to fill in the damn, interminable form on the HP
    >>site and spend a few days e-mailing back and
    >>forth to India! I hate that form! I had hoped there was some obvious fix
    >>that would be known here.
    >>
    >>Cyril
    >>
    >>On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:53:27 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Most peculiar. I am sure that the ink level information is reported by the
    >>>printer to the driver.
    >>>Do you have drivers installed on both computers or is the 98SE computer using
    >>>the WinXP driver (ie. did you install the printer on the 98SE computer by
    >>>adding a network printer from the control panel and selecting the printer

Printers Computer Hewlett Packard Peripherals