Money for PocketPC 2003 on WM2003 - what was the trick aga..

December 9, 2004 9:25:31 PM

Hi all,

I need to reinstall MS Money on my PocketPC 2003. Alas, the regular
installation of MS Money 2003 for PocketPC claims, that it can only
install on PocketPC 2002 - not 2003(SE).

Now, I KNOW for sure that this works, because I had it installed
before and it worked perfectly. I recall that one had to overcome that
barrier using some trick. If I recall correct one had to grab some
..cab file from a temporary directory while some error message claiming
that this version could not be installed was still standing on-screen
and then one had to transfer and execute that .cab file on the PPC
"manually".

But alas, I forgot the exact details of this procedure. Anybody out
there who still knows that trick or a URL where this is described?

Michael
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:12:47 PM

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to reinstall MS Money on my PocketPC 2003. Alas, the regular
> installation of MS Money 2003 for PocketPC claims, that it can only
> install on PocketPC 2002 - not 2003(SE).
>
> Now, I KNOW for sure that this works, because I had it installed
> before and it worked perfectly. I recall that one had to overcome that
> barrier using some trick. If I recall correct one had to grab some
> .cab file from a temporary directory while some error message claiming
> that this version could not be installed was still standing on-screen
> and then one had to transfer and execute that .cab file on the PPC
> "manually".
>
> But alas, I forgot the exact details of this procedure. Anybody out
> there who still knows that trick or a URL where this is described?
>
> Michael

Wasn't it posted in the newsgoups? Try searching, the money one may be your
best bet.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 1:19:24 AM

Michael Moser wrote:
> But alas, I forgot the exact details of this procedure. Anybody out
> there who still knows that trick or a URL where this is described?

There's something wrong in the installation routine that prevents the
installation. But once installed, it works ok. You have two options to get
Money on your WM2003 Pocket PC:

Upgrade: get Microsoft Money 2004, and use the client that goes with that
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI......
84c8-80302049e51d&DisplayLang=en) (one big URL)

Solution: as posted earlier:

-----

I got this from another user on Brighthand and it works great.
I am impressed.

Follow these instructions and you should be able to
install Money for the
PPC (2003 version):

1. With the PPC in the cradle and ActiveSync running,
start the installation
of Pocket Money for Money 2003 on the desktop.

2. Go through the normal install routine, following the
prompts on the
desktop machine.

3. When the PPC pops up an error message, don't clear it.
Instead, open File
Explorer on the PPC. (I don't know if the error message
needs to remain
open,

but without having experimented, I suggest leaving it on
screen for now.)

4. Browse to "My Device /Windows /AppMgr /Install" and
tap-and-hold on the
file that is in that folder. (This is the one caveat...
your folder may end
up

being different, but something tells me that this is the
folder you should
look in). The file should be obviously related to Pocket
Money.

5. When the menu appears, choose copy.

6. Still using File Explorer on the PPC, browse to "My
Device /Temp" and
paste the file in this new folder.

7. Once the file appears in this new folder, single tap
the file. The
installation will begin on its own.

8. Close the error message from the original installation.

9. After you have successfully installed Money, with the
PPC in the cradle,
explore the PPC (use Explore from within ActiveSync).

10. Browse to "My Device /Windows" and look for "MoneyCE".

11. Right click on this file and choose "Create a
shortcut".

12. Move this shortcut to "My Device /Windows /Start
Menu /Programs" to
finish the install.

13. Rename this new shortcut as "Microsoft Money".

14. Remove the PPC from the cradle. Check the settings
for the Money Conduit
in ActiveSync, place the PPC back into the cradle, and
away you go.

At this point, it should be working like a charm. Money
shows up in the
uninstall listing on the PPC, but I actually don't know
if it will work or
not. Good luck!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 1:10:30 PM

> 3. When the PPC pops up an error message, don't clear it.
> Instead, open File
> Explorer on the PPC. (I don't know if the error message
> needs to remain
> open,
>
> but without having experimented, I suggest leaving it on
> screen for now.)

I'm pretty sure I recall it DOES need left open.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:45:24 AM

Microsoft has just relases Microsoft Money 2005 for Pocket PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/money....

"Michael Moser" <michael-nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to reinstall MS Money on my PocketPC 2003. Alas, the regular
> installation of MS Money 2003 for PocketPC claims, that it can only
> install on PocketPC 2002 - not 2003(SE).
>
> Now, I KNOW for sure that this works, because I had it installed before
> and it worked perfectly. I recall that one had to overcome that barrier
> using some trick. If I recall correct one had to grab some .cab file from
> a temporary directory while some error message claiming that this version
> could not be installed was still standing on-screen and then one had to
> transfer and execute that .cab file on the PPC "manually".
>
> But alas, I forgot the exact details of this procedure. Anybody out there
> who still knows that trick or a URL where this is described?
>
> Michael

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:15:42 AM

Thanks.