Group policy not applied from upgraded NT4 server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 14, 2005 7:24:30 AM

Hi,

i have 2 domain controllers in my domain, which is a child domain in a
2 domain scenario.

Now when i upgraded the domain from nt4 to 2000 it all went fine,
however the server that i upgraded from NT4 to win2000 does not apply
group policies to the clients.
The other domain controller is a fresh install of 2000 srv [then made a
DC]and whenever this is the server that authenticates users then group
policy is applied. However when the upgraded server authenticates users
the group policy is not applied.

You can find out whcih DC has authenticated your logon by typing SET at
a command prompt then scolling up a bit and checking the "logonserver".

Is it the case that if you upgrade an NT4 box then it is likely that
group policies will not execuite from this machine whereas if you do a
fresh install of 2000 and make it a DC they do?

I had no idea MS had built this functionality in....

Any advice please? what do i need to check is missing from this
upgraded server? I know if i did a fresh install on it and made it a dc
again i bet it would work fine. Any idea what's happened considering
the other server works absolutely fine please? The event logs appear to
be fine - ie the server is sitting there "happy as larry" ffs.....

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:47:46 AM

Oh and one other thing. If the upgraded DC is the authenticating server
then logon scripts do not run either. Initially i just put the path to
the script in the users' profile path in their AD account however now i
use GP to distribute the scripts. In both scenarios the upgraded nt4 to
2k box does not run logon scripts when it is the authenticating server.
In fact the authentication side is fine on the upgraded box...
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:08:52 PM

any help appreciated pleeeeeease! :)
!