Odd attacks when selling to NPCs

Last response: in Video Games
July 19, 2004 7:48:29 AM

In the past few days I've experienced some oddness when selling loot
to NPC merchants. A nearby NPC will come racing towards me hollering
about my crimes or stolen loot or some such, and attack me. This
happens while actively engaged in selling to the merchant, and so far
the merchant him/herself has never been the attacker.

The two cases where I've had this happen are:

1) Balmora, Mages Guild, upstairs with the NPC who performs
enchantments. When this first happened, I reloaded my last save game
and experimented a bit. It seemed to be triggered by attempting to
sell a stack of lower-end uncharged soul gems, but again, it was
random - sometimes I got attacked, sometimes not. I'm quite certain
I've never stolen a soul gem, or anything else, from anyone in the
Mage guild. Frankly, I'm pretty poor at the stealth activities, and I
doubt I could steal anything even if I wanted to.

2) Yesterday, on a Hlaalu quest, I traveled to Indarys Manor at Bal
Isra, where I relieved the world of a certain troublesome nobleman,
and everything in his room. Though I looted his room, I left
everything and everyone else in the manor untouched. I then went on to
the outpost at Maar Gan to sell the loot. While engaged with the
merchant, some nearby punk hollers something to the effect of "Hey you
dirtbag, that's my sword" and leaps onto me. Now, this was my very
first trip ever to either Bal Isra or Maar Gan, and I had cleared out
all my to-sell inventory before I started the trip, so I'm not sure
why this fella had his undies in such a bunch.

About the only new thing I've got going on that coincides with the
start of these attacks is that I'm now wearing a Redas Robe of Deeds.
A search of the web doesn't indicate this is a cursed item or that it
should draw attackers like flies, and even if it did, the attacks
should occur any time, not just when I'm with a merchant.

Any ideas?

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

Greg Johnson <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> wrote:

>I consider this to be a borderline
>bug, that some outside containers have ownership while almost identical
>others don't.

Ah, I believe you've nailed that one. When I first arrived in Balmora,
I noticed that the guards didn't seem to care when I took stuff from
random crates outside. So, I emptied them all, being a noob in need of
cash. I bet one of the soul gems I'm selling came from a crate 'owned'
by the mages guild.

>The most likely case is that the loot did not belong to him, but to his
>faction. If that's the case, _anyone_ in the faction will call you a
>thief if you sell to them.

Faction owned loot is something I was unaware of. I expect you've also
nailed this one. So long as no one in the faction ever expects to get
that nice ebony longsword back, we'll get along fine :)

Memo to self... save game before attempting to sell.

>Try looking at your inventory's actual ownership with TFH.

I'm woefully ignorant of the console commands. I'll give this one a
try the next time I play.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:06:45 AM

":p hant" <phant@usagi.comix> wrote:

>Wouldn't matter. Once you take an item from someone, you can never
>sell them the item. Doesn't matter if it's actually the specific
>item you took or just an identical one. (another borderline bug?)

That's why I'll be making a point of saving my games right before
selling. I cleared every outdoor crate in Balmora, so no doubt I
annoyed plenty of folks. There's certainly no way I'll ever be able to
remember what came from where, even if several weeks of real time
hadn't already passed. At least if I raise someone's ire, I can go
back to the save game and sell the item in question to a less
discerning vendor.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Related resources
July 20, 2004 11:21:06 AM

"Greg Johnson" <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message

> As far as I know, the crates outside the Mages Guild belong to them, the
> crates outside the Fighters Guild belong to them, and there are a couple
> of crates elsewhere that belong to House Hlaalu.

I've often cleaned out all of the crates in Balmora (with my shadier
characters) and I've never had a problem dealing with anybody in the shops
or guilds. The same goes for other towns. I've always found it odd that
you could just take what you wanted because there have never been any
consequences in any of my games.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:10:41 PM

"Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>I've often cleaned out all of the crates in Balmora (with my shadier
>characters) and I've never had a problem dealing with anybody in the shops
>or guilds. The same goes for other towns. I've always found it odd that
>you could just take what you wanted because there have never been any
>consequences in any of my games.

Probably just chance that you didn't happen to try to sell any
'stolen' loot to the owners. I emptied all the crates in Balmora weeks
ago, and only a few days ago did I encounter a problem.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
July 21, 2004 12:15:11 AM

"DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I've rarely played thieves, but recently I've been using the console
> command "tfh" (toggle full help) to check out how the game labels
> items. None of the trash bins (crates, etc.) in Balmora have
> ownership labels (and if I missed any, I didn't miss many). So, it
> should be safe to raid those. Bins INSIDE places--such as Hlaalo
> manor--however, are labeled.

That makes sense, because I only raid crates OUTSIDE and as I said, all the
times I've done it, I was not a member of the guilds at the time and I never
had any problems trading with any merchants afterwards.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:48:53 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:21:06 -0400, "Sarah"
<scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>"Greg Johnson" <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message
>
>> As far as I know, the crates outside the Mages Guild belong to them, the
>> crates outside the Fighters Guild belong to them, and there are a couple
>> of crates elsewhere that belong to House Hlaalu.
>
>I've often cleaned out all of the crates in Balmora (with my shadier
>characters) and I've never had a problem dealing with anybody in the shops
>or guilds. The same goes for other towns. I've always found it odd that
>you could just take what you wanted because there have never been any
>consequences in any of my games.

If you belong to the Fighters Guild then you can take their stuff with
no consequences; ditto for the Mages Guild. I don't know one way or the
other about Hlaalu's stuff, but how many merchants belong to that house?
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.