Ink replacement (R200)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 12, 2005 8:52:35 PM

I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different types of
compatibles.
Where do I go from here.

More about : ink replacement r200

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:55:19 PM

If you print load is not extremely high, you do not need to risk
screwing up the delicate Epson printheads. If you print load is high
then do you research carefully.

Dgethin wrote:

>I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
>I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different types of
>compatibles.
>Where do I go from here.

May 12, 2005 11:06:11 PM

bart.frank@gmail.com wrote:

>here has some reviews for "bulk ink", you can take a look:
>http://www.inkrepublic.com/reviews.asp

Why isn;t this cute. The Fox is guarding the Hen House. Here you have
a reseller vendor providing reviewq on what he is selling. If any of
you out there believe this I have a bridge I would like to sell you. :-D
:-D
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:03:18 AM

I use a series of auto-reset chips on a R300 printer. Each time I print
something (even one page) the printer does a cleaning cycle. Becuase of this
fact the printer uses 20 times more ink than the ink would be used for
printing the pages... Does someone knows how to solve it? Do all continues
ink systems behave the same way??? Are there different chips avoiding this
fact?

--
Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

--
<bart.frank@gmail.com> wrote in message

> here has some reviews for "bulk ink", you can take a look:
> http://www.inkrepublic.com/reviews.asp

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:03:19 AM

"Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message
>I use a series of auto-reset chips on a R300 printer. Each time I print
> something (even one page) the printer does a cleaning cycle. Becuase of
> this
> fact the printer uses 20 times more ink than the ink would be used for
> printing the pages... Does someone knows how to solve it? Do all continues
> ink systems behave the same way??? Are there different chips avoiding this
> fact?

I'd complain to the suppliers of the auto-reset chips; they obviously aren't
working right if the printer is doing a cleaning cycle everytime you print
something. Using 'normal' non-resting chips mine does a clean cycle about
once every two weeks, or maybe less if I use the printer regularly.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:03:19 AM

"Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message news:1115939115.363188@athnrd02...
> I use a series of auto-reset chips on a R300 printer. Each time I print
> something (even one page) the printer does a cleaning cycle. Becuase of this
> fact the printer uses 20 times more ink than the ink would be used for
> printing the pages... Does someone knows how to solve it? Do all continues
> ink systems behave the same way??? Are there different chips avoiding this
> fact?
>
> --
> Yianni
> in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

I leave my r200 on all the time, and the few times I do turn it off, I use the
button on the printer -- not a power strip switch. I sometimes don't print for
several days, but when I do print, I have never noticed it do a 'cleaning
cycle' -- just the print. There is no ink used between prints, and no 'extra'
ink used during a single print. I use epson carts and I don't refill. Maybe it
doesn't like your reset chips.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:03:19 AM

Yianni wrote:

>I use a series of auto-reset chips on a R300 printer. Each time I print
>something (even one page) the printer does a cleaning cycle. Becuase of this
>fact the printer uses 20 times more ink than the ink would be used for
>printing the pages... Does someone knows how to solve it? Do all continues
>ink systems behave the same way??? Are there different chips avoiding this
>fact?

I was going to buy an R300 but when I heard about what you are saying I
bought a Canon IP4000 and do not have the problem.

>--
>Yianni
>in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)
>

>--
><bart.frank@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>here has some reviews for "bulk ink", you can take a look:
>>http://www.inkrepublic.com/reviews.asp

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:04:41 AM

SamSez wrote:

>"Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message news:1115939115.363188@athnrd02...
>

>>I use a series of auto-reset chips on a R300 printer. Each time I print
>>something (even one page) the printer does a cleaning cycle. Becuase of this
>>fact the printer uses 20 times more ink than the ink would be used for
>>printing the pages... Does someone knows how to solve it? Do all continues
>>ink systems behave the same way??? Are there different chips avoiding this
>>fact?
>>
>>--
>>Yianni
>>in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)
>>

>I leave my r200 on all the time, and the few times I do turn it off, I use the
>button on the printer -- not a power strip switch. I sometimes don't print for
>several days, but when I do print, I have never noticed it do a 'cleaning
>cycle' -- just the print. There is no ink used between prints, and no 'extra'
>ink used during a single print. I use epson carts and I don't refill.

Smart Move. I assume you do not have any problems.

>Maybe it
>doesn't like your reset chips.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:26:44 PM

You ask around for reputable ink cartridge suppliers in your area from
people who use them. Keep in mind that longevity of ink from fading may
differ between inks.

Art

Dgethin wrote:

> I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
> I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different types of
> compatibles.
> Where do I go from here.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:44:33 PM

arthur,

according to inkrepublic's site, they claimed their chipset can prevent
cleaning cycle? is that for real?

what do we really waste if doing head cleaning?

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> You ask around for reputable ink cartridge suppliers in your area
from
> people who use them. Keep in mind that longevity of ink from fading
may
> differ between inks.
>
> Art
>
> Dgethin wrote:
>
> > I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
> > I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different
types of
> > compatibles.
> > Where do I go from here.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:26:48 PM

> according to inkrepublic's site, they claimed their chipset can prevent
> cleaning cycle? is that for real?
>
> what do we really waste if doing head cleaning?

Head cleanings use a bit of ink. more or less depending on various factors.
Not cleaning will most likely result in clogged printheads, especially if you
do not print often.

- Bob Headrick
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:10:10 PM

Epson has changed it's systems several times, so it depends upon the
printer model.

The printers keep track of three basic pieces of information:

1) Waste ink pad ink amount

2) amount of ink left in the cartridge (intelledge cartridge or status
ink monitor or both)

3) time between last cleaning cycle which may move around depending on
last startup.

To my knowledge, the cartridge chips themselves are not responsible for
the storing or actuating that part of the equation, but instead, in
firmware and some memory, but I could be mistaken.

Are you sure they aren't claiming that with their cartridge chips, the
printer will not read a cartridge low or empty, which would trigger a
cartridge replacement and the larger purging process.

A regular head cleaning may use between 1% to 3% of the ink, but major
purges like with the printer when brand new, or the cleaning between may
mean a lot more up to 20%, as I recall. Cleaning for changing
cartridges is probably about 5% of the ink or so, but it's out of each
of the cartridges, so that adds up/

Art

bart.frank@gmail.com wrote:

> arthur,
>
> according to inkrepublic's site, they claimed their chipset can prevent
> cleaning cycle? is that for real?
>
> what do we really waste if doing head cleaning?
>
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>>You ask around for reputable ink cartridge suppliers in your area
>
> from
>
>>people who use them. Keep in mind that longevity of ink from fading
>
> may
>
>>differ between inks.
>>
>>Art
>>
>>Dgethin wrote:
>>

>>>I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
>>>I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different
>
> types of
>
>>>compatibles.
>>>Where do I go from here.

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:44:33 PM

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Epson has changed it's systems several times, so it depends upon the
> printer model.
>
> The printers keep track of three basic pieces of information:
>
> 1) Waste ink pad ink amount
>
> 2) amount of ink left in the cartridge (intelledge cartridge or status ink
> monitor or both)
>
> 3) time between last cleaning cycle which may move around depending on
> last startup.
>
> To my knowledge, the cartridge chips themselves are not responsible for
> the storing or actuating that part of the equation, but instead, in
> firmware and some memory, but I could be mistaken.

I've read about this problem before somewhere - because the ink level
reset's everytime the printer is used and confuses the printer making it do
a clean cycle (it thinks the ink carts have been changed). The better
auto-reset chips will only reset when the ink level gets down to 10% or less
and therefore don't trigger more than the normal level of clean cycles.
May 14, 2005 9:46:37 PM

bart.frank@gmail.com wrote:
> arthur,
>
> according to inkrepublic's site, they claimed their chipset can prevent
> cleaning cycle? is that for real?
>
> what do we really waste if doing head cleaning?

Don't see that happening.

I use a 1270 on a regular basis I had just printed 4 A3+ prints and had
to do a colour cartridge change. having done this printed a further 2
A3+ prints and on the third the magenta blocked, leaving me to clean the
heads and restart the print again.

Seems that heads just clog for no apparent reason - this exercise heaps
of ink went through the heads, so it wasn't standing around and the
printer is used on a regular basis. Head cleaning perhaps should be done
on a regular basis without question.

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>>You ask around for reputable ink cartridge suppliers in your area
>
> from
>
>>people who use them. Keep in mind that longevity of ink from fading
>
> may
>
>>differ between inks.
>>
>>Art
>>
>>Dgethin wrote:
>>

>>>I have a problem, do I buy genuine epson cartridges or compatibles.
>>>I have been scouring the internet, and there are so many different
>
> types of
>
>>>compatibles.
>>>Where do I go from here.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:58:20 AM

From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
Canon and HP do not have.

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>

>>Epson has changed it's systems several times, so it depends upon the
>>printer model.
>>
>>The printers keep track of three basic pieces of information:
>>
>>1) Waste ink pad ink amount
>>
>>2) amount of ink left in the cartridge (intelledge cartridge or status ink
>>monitor or both)
>>
>>3) time between last cleaning cycle which may move around depending on
>>last startup.
>>
>>To my knowledge, the cartridge chips themselves are not responsible for
>>the storing or actuating that part of the equation, but instead, in
>>firmware and some memory, but I could be mistaken.
>>

>I've read about this problem before somewhere - because the ink level
>reset's everytime the printer is used and confuses the printer making it do
>a clean cycle (it thinks the ink carts have been changed). The better
>auto-reset chips will only reset when the ink level gets down to 10% or less
>and therefore don't trigger more than the normal level of clean cycles.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:14:29 AM

> From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
> Canon and HP do not have.

And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
problems that Epson don't have too.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:22:22 AM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
>>Canon and HP do not have.
>>

>And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
>problems that Epson don't have too.

Much less

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 2:54:14 AM

"miswrite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Ivory Floppy wrote:
>
>>"miswrite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
>>>Canon and HP do not have.
>>>

>>And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
>>problems that Epson don't have too.
>>

> Much less

...probably because HP and Canon printers are less popular............and in
the case of the bottom end of the market, built to Lexmark quality and are
disposable when they go wrong.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:20:11 AM

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
> >"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
> >>Canon and HP do not have.
> >>

> >And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
> >problems that Epson don't have too.
> >

> Much less

How about the worst fading of the three?

Kind of makes all the other 'problems' pale in comparison.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:22:24 AM

"SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>>
>> >"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
>> >problems that Epson don't have too.
>> >

>> Much less
>
> How about the worst fading of the three?
>
> Kind of makes all the other 'problems' pale in comparison.

"pale in comparison" ... groan.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:39:28 AM

SamSez wrote:

>>Ivor Floppy wrote:
>>

>>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>And from other posts it appears that Canon and HP have a whole lot of
>>>problems that Epson don't have too.
>>>

>>Much less
>>

>How about the worst fading of the three?
>
>Kind of makes all the other 'problems' pale in comparison.

No fading in 9 months.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:40:27 AM

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>"SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
>

>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Much less
>>>

>>How about the worst fading of the three?
>>
>>Kind of makes all the other 'problems' pale in comparison.
>>

>"pale in comparison" ... groan.

More BullShit. No fading in 9 months.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:00:49 PM

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
> >"SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>How about the worst fading of the three?
> >>
> >>Kind of makes all the other 'problems' pale in comparison.
> >>

> >"pale in comparison" ... groan.
> >

> More BullShit. No fading in 9 months.

I'll be a little more polite.

I'll say, ...I'm happy you're satisfied, however, your experience does not seem
to agree with the majority of independent testing...

and since you replied to both, I'll reply to both
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:00:35 PM

I was wondering how Canon deals with the waste ink from their printers?
Do they use some type of pad or bottle, and are they user replaceable?

Art

measekite wrote:

> From these posts it appears that Epson has a whole lot of problems that
> Canon and HP do not have.
>
> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
>> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>

>>> Epson has changed it's systems several times, so it depends upon the
>>> printer model.
>>>
>>> The printers keep track of three basic pieces of information:
>>>
>>> 1) Waste ink pad ink amount
>>>
>>> 2) amount of ink left in the cartridge (intelledge cartridge or
>>> status ink monitor or both)
>>>
>>> 3) time between last cleaning cycle which may move around depending
>>> on last startup.
>>>
>>> To my knowledge, the cartridge chips themselves are not responsible
>>> for the storing or actuating that part of the equation, but instead,
>>> in firmware and some memory, but I could be mistaken.
>>>

>> I've read about this problem before somewhere - because the ink level
>> reset's everytime the printer is used and confuses the printer making
>> it do a clean cycle (it thinks the ink carts have been changed). The
>> better auto-reset chips will only reset when the ink level gets down
>> to 10% or less and therefore don't trigger more than the normal level
>> of clean cycles.

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 9:30:39 PM

Check the archives for messages with "Waste Ink Tank Full Message" in the
header. There are lots of discussion about this. There is a felt pad in the
bottom that soaks up excess ink from the cleaning processes. Excessive deep
cleaning seems to be the major cause of this. The other part of the
situation is that once the message appears a sequence of commands must be
executed to the printer to clear this message and Canon doesn't divulge this
info. Lots of messages deal with this situation - cleaning the pads and
resetting the printer).

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:D X%he.1371385$6l.404888@pd7tw2no...
>I was wondering how Canon deals with the waste ink from their printers? Do
>they use some type of pad or bottle, and are they user replaceable?
>
> Art

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:48:42 PM

Thanks, I'll do some further reasearch.

Art

Ron Cohen wrote:

> Check the archives for messages with "Waste Ink Tank Full Message" in the
> header. There are lots of discussion about this. There is a felt pad in the
> bottom that soaks up excess ink from the cleaning processes. Excessive deep
> cleaning seems to be the major cause of this. The other part of the
> situation is that once the message appears a sequence of commands must be
> executed to the printer to clear this message and Canon doesn't divulge this
> info. Lots of messages deal with this situation - cleaning the pads and
> resetting the printer).
>
> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:D X%he.1371385$6l.404888@pd7tw2no...
>
>>I was wondering how Canon deals with the waste ink from their printers? Do
>>they use some type of pad or bottle, and are they user replaceable?
>>
>>Art

May 19, 2005 6:30:22 AM

Art - The code sequences are available on several web sites to reset many
of the
Canon waste ink counters. Emptying the receptical, however is not easy to
do for non-technicians. people have reported resetting the counter without
emptying the recepticle at least once without mishaps. Check
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html and
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for Canon code sequences.

> Thanks, I'll do some further reasearch.
>
> Art
>
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>> Check the archives for messages with "Waste Ink Tank Full Message" in the
>> header. There are lots of discussion about this. There is a felt pad in
>> the bottom that soaks up excess ink from the cleaning processes.
>> Excessive deep cleaning seems to be the major cause of this. The other
>> part of the situation is that once the message appears a sequence of
>> commands must be executed to the printer to clear this message and Canon
>> doesn't divulge this info. Lots of messages deal with this situation -
>> cleaning the pads and resetting the printer).
>>
>> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:D X%he.1371385$6l.404888@pd7tw2no...
>>
>>>I was wondering how Canon deals with the waste ink from their printers?
>>>Do they use some type of pad or bottle, and are they user replaceable?
>>>
>>>Art

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:22:10 PM

Thanks for the information. I was wondering how Canon was dealing with
this problem which is pretty much universal with inkjet prinetrs.

Art

!