Printer startup script in XP

Hello,

I am desperate here! Nobody seems to be able to help me, I am currently
running a printer startup script via a batch file off of a
Win2k server for Win2k clients, however when I attempt to run the startup
script for WinXP clients I am unsuccessfull. The batch I use is below:

Create a batch file (e.g. printers.bat) containing lines of the following
form (the PrintUIEntry bit is case-sensitive):

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer1
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer2
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer3

The script runs fine in Win2k, and appears to run for XP, however once
logged in the printers do not appear. Is there any reason the script will run
for
Win2k but not for XP?

Thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about printer startup script

    Had a similar issue and my resolution was to give the end user admin rights
    to the PC, printers were isntalled w/o a problem.
    If you find another solution please post it here.

    "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am desperate here! Nobody seems to be able to help me, I am currently
    > running a printer startup script via a batch file off of a
    > Win2k server for Win2k clients, however when I attempt to run the startup
    > script for WinXP clients I am unsuccessfull. The batch I use is below:
    >
    > Create a batch file (e.g. printers.bat) containing lines of the following
    > form (the PrintUIEntry bit is case-sensitive):
    >
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer1
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer2
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer3
    >
    > The script runs fine in Win2k, and appears to run for XP, however once
    > logged in the printers do not appear. Is there any reason the script will
    > run
    > for
    > Win2k but not for XP?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    A better idea might have been to make the domain user account object a
    member of the local Power Users group. However, while that works for
    WIN2000 Pro I want to say that I remember that it does not work in WINXP
    Pro. Sorry, do not have any test systems available at the moment.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Chris" <kierownikx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Had a similar issue and my resolution was to give the end user admin
    > rights to the PC, printers were isntalled w/o a problem.
    > If you find another solution please post it here.
    >

    > "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am desperate here! Nobody seems to be able to help me, I am currently
    >> running a printer startup script via a batch file off of a
    >> Win2k server for Win2k clients, however when I attempt to run the startup
    >> script for WinXP clients I am unsuccessfull. The batch I use is below:
    >>
    >> Create a batch file (e.g. printers.bat) containing lines of the following
    >> form (the PrintUIEntry bit is case-sensitive):
    >>
    >> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer1
    >> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer2
    >> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer3
    >>
    >> The script runs fine in Win2k, and appears to run for XP, however once
    >> logged in the printers do not appear. Is there any reason the script will
    >> run
    >> for
    >> Win2k but not for XP?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    Take a look at the con2prt utility in the admin tools. This was first a
    part of the NT 4.0 tools and on the Microsoft web site. This is your best
    bet.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am desperate here! Nobody seems to be able to help me, I am currently
    > running a printer startup script via a batch file off of a
    > Win2k server for Win2k clients, however when I attempt to run the startup
    > script for WinXP clients I am unsuccessfull. The batch I use is below:
    >
    > Create a batch file (e.g. printers.bat) containing lines of the following
    > form (the PrintUIEntry bit is case-sensitive):
    >
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer1
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer2
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\printserver\printer3
    >
    > The script runs fine in Win2k, and appears to run for XP, however once
    > logged in the printers do not appear. Is there any reason the script will
    > run
    > for
    > Win2k but not for XP?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!