Sign in with
Your question

How do you install a motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2006 10:03:22 PM

Do I need to leave a gap between the back of the motherboard and the case or can i put the motherboard directly on the case? THanks

More about : install motherboard

July 18, 2006 10:23:06 PM

Quote:
Do I need to leave a gap between the back of the motherboard and the case or can i put the motherboard directly on the case? THanks

Slow down buddy. Let's get on the same page. OK what is the back of the mobo. Assuming this is a tower, are you talking about the part where all the I/O ports are or are you talking about the underside of the mobo which would never be seen in normal cases.

If you are talking about the I/O part then no, you need to pop in the I/O shield that came with your mobo and then slide the mobo into that and rest it on the mobo riser studs that came with your case, then screw away.

For real though if you are asking this question, then please pop open a friends computer, even if its black box (Dell) and take a look inside that as a point of reference. Not body likes a shorted out mobo.

Good Luck.
July 18, 2006 10:37:43 PM

If you're asking this question, then check one of the numerous online 'how do I build a computer' pages. Gooogle.
Related resources
July 18, 2006 10:46:24 PM

Yes you should really read up on this before you start but for your specific question.

I'm going to assume that by "back" you mean the side that gets screwed into the case. There is supposed to be a gap there that is maintained by the risers that came with the case. The case manual should tell you where to put those risers (usually there are a bunch of letters beside each hole in the case such as : A, B, and T) All the A locations are for ATX, the B are for BTX. No idea what T stands for as I've never used it (maybe for extended ATX?).

Put those risers on the case then line up the holes on the motherboad with the risers... screw away!!!
July 18, 2006 11:22:40 PM

The motherboard orientation will be obvious as the holes for the risers in the case panel will match up with the available holes on the motherboard.

So, as has been said very well above, put in the risers first (they are generally bronze-ish colour, and have a 'male' screw end to screw into the case and a 'female' screwthreaded hole to recieve a screw into them).

Then, sit the motherboard on top, insert all the screws, and lightly do them up.

When you are happy with the positioning of your board, begin to tighten the screws fully (carefully, not too tight) starting from opposite corners. Eg top right screw, bottom left, bottom right, top left, top middle, bottom middle, left middle, right middle and so on.
July 19, 2006 12:42:46 AM

Quote:

Common sense should have tell you that, since there is small traces an many component on a motherboard, and since that every place that have solder seems isolated from the other.. I guess that it is better this way...
July 19, 2006 1:18:47 AM

Quote:

also. attatch it to the case with bubble gum. it helps to dampen vibrations and saves the enviroment.

use fries to keep the board from touching the bottom of the case tho. electricity is heavy and travels down the board. the fries stop it from running off the board.
July 19, 2006 12:21:50 PM

Quote:

also. attatch it to the case with bubble gum. it helps to dampen vibrations and saves the enviroment.

use fries to keep the board from touching the bottom of the case tho. electricity is heavy and travels down the board. the fries stop it from running off the board.

Nice, I *almost* started to panic till I got to your second sentence.
O I feel I need to add this for those extreeeeem n00bs....

PLEASE do not use gum or fries to assemble your computer, and I'll let you in on a l33t system builder tool that isn’t well know among your kind...It's call google.
July 19, 2006 2:35:27 PM

Quote:

Nice, I *almost* started to panic till I got to your second sentence.
O I feel I need to add this for those extreeeeem n00bs....

PLEASE do not use gum or fries to assemble your computer, and I'll let you in on a l33t system builder tool that isn’t well know among your kind...It's call google.

its amazing how few people use google...

(hes lying about the fries. just try it. ull get an extra 703fps in CS;S)
July 19, 2006 4:58:56 PM

Quote:

its amazing how few people use google...

(hes lying about the fries. just try it. ull get an extra 703fps in CS;S)

Ya know I wonder if it is more that people assume that we know everything cause we work with computers and for them to access this knowledge they have to go through technical people.

For the most part I don't know everything. I have some general troubleshooting skillz and a general knowledge of pc's from my experience over the years, but for the most part I have to look up a lot of my information. Then you can take pride in whatever you decide to do/buy and if it turns out to be a bad idea, then you know what the problem is instead of blaming some dude from across the interweb. Same way if it turns out to be a good choice then that was because of your research and extra time you devoted.
July 20, 2006 11:27:15 PM

That 703 fps thing really seperates the men from the newbs. If what you said about fries and bubblegum before didn't throw them off, which it should have, the rediculous fps number will. And, if it doesn't? teh noob.
July 21, 2006 1:46:41 PM

Quote:
That 703 fps thing really seperates the men from the newbs.

yes. because the wieght of electricity is far too believable.
!