Sign in with
Your question

How often do you guys change processors?

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2006 10:05:59 PM

More about : guys change processors

July 18, 2006 10:08:52 PM

I ask this question, because some of you seem to have really good processors that came out maybe 6 months to a year ago, and are planning to buy Conroe now.
July 18, 2006 10:12:24 PM

I upgrade about once every 4-5 years.

General
Related resources
July 18, 2006 10:22:14 PM

I rarely upgrade processors, I will just build another, as by that time the machine is mostly outdated, I might salvage a few parts...

~Ibrahim~
July 18, 2006 10:35:02 PM

I never change processors, as Ikjadoon does, i'm doing the same.

What processor is your friend having?
July 18, 2006 10:44:53 PM

Once a year
July 18, 2006 10:49:04 PM

2 times a year I would say, sometimes as much as 3
July 18, 2006 10:49:30 PM

Every other year (Budget permitting). No more than 4 years though (budget permitting or not).
July 18, 2006 11:04:13 PM

Once every couple of years is enough - it certainly has been recently, as clock speed increases slowed down.

I've currently got an A64 3500+ bought in Feb 2005 for £150, and I don't see that I will need to upgrade it for a while, as games are my main thing and those don't really need dual core yet.

So I expect I will upgrade in early 2007 to whatever looks a good deal then. And I will probably buy new mobo and memory as well, unless I get an X2.
July 18, 2006 11:35:47 PM

depends. a good product is a good product. if i feel its a worthy upgrade and a sensable one ill do it. so far ive got a socketA and a 478 downstairs and a 745 and my 939 upstairs. each time i upgrade i save the MB and CPU and put it in another PC. keeps the whole lot feeling kinda fresh.
July 18, 2006 11:38:08 PM

I agree with the above, usually when I build a new PC I buy whatever is the 'best bang for the buck' at the time - which in the current case is the San Diego 3700+ (which is still faster in most games than the dual-core CPU's upto about X2 4400+).

By the time i'm thinking of upgrading my CPU, its normally time for a completely new architecture :) 

A brief history of my PC's (missing bits im sure)

486 DX2-66 -> AMD K5-PR75 -> Pentium 133 -> Celeron 333 ->PIII 550 ->Athlon 1ghzish -> Athlon 64 1800+ -> Athlon 64 3700+ -> ???conroe???

I expect I might get one more CPU out of this motherboard before I change it for a new architecture version - this will most likely be a top-line dual-core CPU when they've dropped in price after the Conroe/AMD answer wars or whatever is next... idc, I'll just read the benchmarks then decide.

So, to finalise. I upgrade my CPU whenever its financially viable and whenever its neccessary to accomplish my computing goals at the time - whether its gaming, music production, or whatever. This will generally be once every year (two at most if I can squeeze more out of it with an uber graphics card or something).
July 19, 2006 12:09:27 AM

486 DX2-66 Rules!!! It was my first upgradeable computer.

I remember playing Archon on it...

Windows....no freaky ME or 95 or XP..Just plain Windows...and installing drivers was like the most insane thing you had to do
July 19, 2006 12:10:48 AM

I upgrade when it's worth upgrading. :) 

I have a 3.4 ghz Northwood right now, but with good other system components (Raptor 74 gig HD, nice monitors, etc)

The Prescotts were never really an "upgrade" - even if I went to a 3.8 ghz it "might" have got be another 10% (if that) real world - not even close to being worth $600.00

If Core2 had not rolled in likely would have build a new system based on a AMD 4200 or 4600+ type CPU fairly soon.

Probably buy a E6400 or E6600 this time around. - In two years when the mainstream Core2 is a 3.46 or so I so CPU swap to get another year out of the rig.
July 19, 2006 12:13:44 AM

What do you do with the older equipment? Sell? Keep?
July 19, 2006 12:24:18 AM

Every 2 years or so. I plan on sticking with my 3500+ for at least another year. I ditched my Northwood 2.4 after only 1 year, but that was because I wanted to move away from Dell.
July 19, 2006 12:24:56 AM

About once every 12-18 Months. But I never had the "Minimun Processor Speed Required" to play games, install apps, OS, etc. I stay within the Mid-Range to High End CPU. Same goes for Video Card-which I usually Upgrade once in a Series..
July 19, 2006 2:47:57 AM

every 3-4 years for me and its been 3 years

Quote:
a c 99 à CPUs
July 19, 2006 2:59:17 AM

Well, I have an X2 4200+ in a socket 939 motherboard, so any upgrade would be pretty fruitless. But you know what? It doesn't matter all that much as I generally get the upgrade itch roughly every 4 years- that's generally when the system starts to bog down some when doing my usual keep-a-lot-of-stuff-open work. Also, 4 years is about the time when there are a lot of improvements in speed and power of everything from the backplane on up front. I want to see a *real* increase in speed when I upgrade, and it takes about 4 years to get that 2-3x+ increase that is certainly noticeable in everything that is done on the computer.

I'll save my monitors, HDDs, case, and probably the CD and DVD burners. The PSU can stay if it will still work with new stuff and if it's big enough (500W should be, but...) The old mobo, CPU, RAM, and GPU would either sit in a box in a closet in case I or somebody else need them for something or they go to refill an even older box that a friend or parent has. My parents have some rather old machines and I highly doubt that they upgrade until I do again in about 2010. I'll just buy an inexpensive case and PSU and use the 120GB ATA HDD and optical that's in their current HP 1.8 Willy and put the old gear in it most likely. That Willy sure is poky- dang.
July 19, 2006 3:25:45 AM

Only when my current cpu no longer provides a good performance on the latest games and softwares I am using. On average about once every year.
July 19, 2006 4:51:49 AM

Every 2-4 years depending on the finances.

Past three computers have been
Via Cyrix 233mhz 128mb ram 6 gig hd Gf2 mx200
Dual P3 550s 1Gig ram 80 gig hd fx5200
Athlon XP 2600+(T-bred) 1 gig ram 160gig hd 5900 ultra
coming soon: new machine(AMD?) (Intel?) don't know
July 19, 2006 5:34:00 AM

about 3-4years....heck u can always overclock the son of a gun for some extra time :D 

but of course i use a northwood..shes old but stable.. :)  but my system is getting an overhaul (basicly a new rig) in 07 ish
July 19, 2006 5:39:50 AM

About every 8 years. LOL :oops: 

I'm serious, because right now i'm using my p2 366mhz, my first and only computer. But finally after the price cuts i'll be getting a new AM2 system with a 5000, and everything new and almost top of the line.
July 19, 2006 7:07:55 AM

Quote:
depends. a good product is a good product. if i feel its a worthy upgrade and a sensable one ill do it. so far ive got a socketA and a 478 downstairs and a 745 and my 939 upstairs. each time i upgrade i save the MB and CPU and put it in another PC. keeps the whole lot feeling kinda fresh.
Same here. My wife's computer gets the hand-me-downs, then hers goes to my basement for experimenting, linux, etc. and my daughter gets an upgrade. Wife and daughter are a little happier, as everything "works" and is a little faster, and Daddy has a new toy. :p 
July 19, 2006 7:11:16 AM

I change mine 3 times a day.

In the morning i am running my Socket 775 P4 3.06Ghz
At about 1 - 5pm i am running my pentium d 805 for all my multitasking needs

At night i put in my Pentium 965 For some hard core gaming!
July 19, 2006 7:11:48 AM

There's no set time limit. I've been from a P4 1.6 to a 2200+ to a 2800+ to a 3500+ and then added an X2 4600+.

Each time the upgrade was due to just needing a faster CPU, either for a game or for work.
July 19, 2006 7:15:22 AM

Quote:
Each time the upgrade was due to just needing a faster CPU, either for a game or for work.

Yep! Same Here!
July 19, 2006 4:40:59 PM

Quote:

Usually every 3 months or 3,000 miles, which ever comes first.
July 19, 2006 5:15:55 PM

Quote:

Usually every 3 months or 3,000 miles, which ever comes first. Do you get a lube with that too? :wink:
July 19, 2006 5:41:19 PM

Depends on the needs and what I wanna play. Bought a athlon xp 1600+ in late 2001 and just bought and Athlon 64 3200+ December 2005. Three years for that one. And in that time, changed the hard drive twice, changed the graphics card and sound card, and even bought a new monitor.

Ultimately, just depends on what I want to run. I'm fixin' to upgrade from my Radeon 9800 Pro. I would do that before I would upgrade the processor. I'm sure I would get more bump from a 7900 GT than getting an Athlon X2 XXXX.
July 19, 2006 6:22:48 PM

Quote:
I have a better question:
How often does the n00b Miecz have to post stupid random questions?

@topic:
You're supposed to upgrade whenever you need one. If you're a hardcore gamer, you'll be upgrading parts like RAM, GPU, CPU, mobo quite regularly. If all you do is surf the net, than a P1 could handle it fine.

:?:

with what, linux redhat and Lynx? I dare you to try loading this thread in a p1 machine with IE6. you'll get through dinner and it still won't be done

What are you trying to do, match a stupid question with a stupid answer? 8O
July 19, 2006 6:44:10 PM

Wait as long as you possibly can, faster and cheaper always on the horizon. But now does seem like a good time if you're due.
July 19, 2006 7:08:33 PM

Quote:
I have a better question:
How often does the n00b Miecz have to post stupid random questions?

@topic:
You're supposed to upgrade whenever you need one. If you're a hardcore gamer, you'll be upgrading parts like RAM, GPU, CPU, mobo quite regularly. If all you do is surf the net, than a P1 could handle it fine.

:?:

with what, linux redhat and Lynx? I dare you to try loading this thread in a p1 machine with IE6. you'll get through dinner and it still won't be done

What are you trying to do, match a stupid question with a stupid answer? 8O

He did not mention IE6. Just to clarify, you don't need IE6 to surf the net. There are other options that are less CPU/memory intensive than IE6.
July 19, 2006 7:22:01 PM

I upgraded about 2 months ago for the first time in 4 years. Before that it had been about 2 or 3...both times i build a whole system and slavaged only harddrives. This past build i didnt even slavage the drives, i got all new ones and migrated my data over. Generally I end up out growing the system. Hence a full on build. But i do have plans for my last system...it needs a few things to be replaced though (case fans, and cpu fan also vidcard downgrade, its gonna be a server so i dont want a vidcard with a fan). But i do wonder sometimes how people can afford to drop hundreds of dollars on 3 or 4 cpus a year. Move out of the rents basement and try that...
July 19, 2006 7:23:54 PM

IE6 = crap
July 19, 2006 7:42:27 PM

Every other year, in late spring after I get my income tax return back.
One year, refund builds a new computer.
The next year, money goes into savings or for work on my old house.

And, to answer the other part of your question:
I just built a new Socket 939 AMD 64 X2 3800+ system in February. It is taking care of my needs for now.
Next April/May, we'll see ... I may go ahead and upgrade, I may wait another year. Probably, I'll wait and just upgrade the video card a few times.

Core 2 Duo looks impressive, but not enough for me to scrap a very capable, strongly-performing system to build yet another new computer. Not right now, anyway.
July 19, 2006 7:47:16 PM

I upgrade my CPU every 6 months or so...
sometimes a complete system othertimes just the CPU...
wife get's my older system.
July 19, 2006 8:21:08 PM

Once every 2 years or so. Usually change platform every 3 or 4.

It really depends on the market.

About every 4 years they change the system bus somehow and force you to change platform or be left in the dust :?

There's nothing wrong with a PCI video card, I tell ya!
July 19, 2006 11:54:28 PM

im still using my pIV 1.7 Ghz cpu which i got in a sony vaio in 2001 but hopefuly ill build a new system once the ati's dx10 cards come out,ill probably get a core 2 duo e6600...lol that will be a huge change for me lol :wink:
July 20, 2006 12:29:49 AM

January 1999 - Pentium2-350
mid 2003 - overclocked Pentium2-350 @ 392
mid 2004 - tried celeron in a slocket, not work
late 2004 - tried Tualatin in a slocket, not work
early 2005 - Pentium3-450, slot, worked
late 2005 - Pentium3-600, slot, worked, still using.

all this with the same mobo. who needs to upgrade?
July 20, 2006 12:58:41 AM

interesting lol ...what mobo is that btw?
July 20, 2006 1:19:43 AM

3 ~ 4 years unless something dirty cheap comes on the market where every second PC user's got one!!!!
July 20, 2006 1:24:02 AM

Quote:
interesting lol ...what mobo is that btw?
Aopen AX6B+, 440BX, slot one, 100FSB, 4x sdram slots, 2x agp, and the + means onboard Wide-SCSI, got it for my $500 SCSI quad-speed burner back in the day. still going strong...
July 20, 2006 1:49:01 AM

nice, thats what i like about some products, they can be upgraded, not replaced, thats why im looking for a mobo that wil work with the conroe, as well as the quad cores, so atleast the mobo would last me that 5 years or so. if ill build my system in 2007, itll be 6 years of usage of my surrent pc lol
July 20, 2006 2:08:10 AM

yeah, that's why i'm looking towards am2, even if conroe beats the crap out of it, because i upgrade new processors for another 18 months, probably more if am3 is indeed backwards-compatible (and then another 5 more years of cheap ebay processors, like where all my others came from)

meanwhile:
Quote:

before my switch to suse, i had win98 running on my p2-350, and only 128mb pc100 ram. even with Netscape7 mail and browser, ICQ, and god knows what else running, it worked fine, no slowdowns at all. i've got an old server with a P1-120, 128mb of FastPage (pre EDO even), and win98 ran fine on that (NT4 server was a bit sluggish, but i also changed to win98 when i realised that the 5th disk in a raid5 was busted, so that could've contributed more to the slowdown than cpu speed).
And afaik, netscape7 was more memory hungry than either firefox or ie6 (i also had ie6 on my p2, but rarely used it, when i did it wasn't slow though).

my bet's on winXP, and all the associated spyware/adware/virus sweepers and personal firewall crap running that's causing most of the slowdowns. my computer at home's just as fast the ones at uni, and they're at least 3GHz p4s, chocked full of antivirus etc stuff.

even with my current rig (see siggy) i can run the so called "minimum P4-2.4" Google Earth 4 with barely any noticable slowness compared to my gf's celery 2.4 laptop with 512ram. and that's while having thunderbird, firefox, azureus all running on top of KDE 3.4 (kde is definately not known for its speed...)
(the new video card helped alot compared to my old tnt2, went from 2 -> 30+ fps, even when throttled from agp8x on the card to 2x on my mobo)
July 20, 2006 2:24:56 AM

Every 1-2 years, videocard is usually updated yearly.
July 20, 2006 2:27:16 AM

I with you. I am always on an extremely tight bugdet, and just cannot afford to get a new PC every 2-3 years, I have to wait around 5-6 years. To tell you the truth, I'm working on/fixing up a P4 2.8Ghz 400MhzFSB with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600. I have many reviews of the GPU bookmarked, I love reading that my card used to be the fastest at one point. Of course, they are from 2001, but that is OK. When I bought it, I was one of the few rigs with 1GB of RAM. It felt good, my friends.

~Ibrahim~
July 20, 2006 3:42:29 AM

lol atleast u have that 1 gig of ram lol im stuck with 512 and i dont think i can expand it anymore(i got that info a long time ago, never doublechecked it) to be honest i just see no reason for wasting more money into my current system, even if i could get a new gpu, and beter cpu, the increase wouldnt be as great as just geting a new build, which would cost me maby 2 times that but i would get a much beter"bang for the buck" longevity, and upgradebility, but im still looking for a mobo that can support IDE drives (got couple that i can use) and im begining to not look for a mobo which has a floppy suport, before about 4 or 5 months ago i was looking only at mobos that had a floppy suport, now i dont think i care much for it (it has been almost a year since i used a floppy disk, i think i stored some of my first C++ writen programs on it lol, so i gues il would print those out, or put them on a cd, and say goodbye to floppies :wink: ), now I only look for a mobo that has that ide suport, pcix(for x fire, im planing to use a physix card in a year or so, im not much into xfire itselfe) and thats basicaly it, not mentionin the mobo should be stable :wink: ....and so far im not tinking much about ocing the future cpu, i think that the step up from a PIV 1.7 Ghz to a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo is quite a step up, to be honest i dont realy like the fact that its only 0.7 Ghz more, but i know that the Ghz do not count anymore, so i think im geting used to it. :wink:
July 20, 2006 3:57:16 AM

around every 2 years, but it usually turns out to buying a new system
July 20, 2006 2:09:51 PM

lol, I guess then I am more lucky than I think I am. I am also thinking that it would be more cost-effective to get a new system than try to upgrade this one.

I also have come across that eventuality: Almost every processor that I will buy will have a lower clock than the one I have currently. It shows how CPU's have progressed, it really does...

Yeah, I have a 120GB 7200RPM IDE drive, which is enough space for me, but now that the newer boards are losing IDE controllers/plugs, I have no option but to either throw it in an office system or try to get some type of adapter for it, which usually inhibit performance, something I can't stand: Having a faster component, but being bottlenecked by something slower. And yes, that was a run-on sentence, so ha!

~Ibrahim~
July 20, 2006 2:29:45 PM

Quote:
486 DX2-66 Rules!!! It was my first upgradeable computer.

I remember playing Archon on it...

Windows....no freaky ME or 95 or XP..Just plain Windows...and installing drivers was like the most insane thing you had to do

I remember the Commodore 64 as a kid. I upgrade about every two years.
!