ASUS PW5 DH Deluxe for Conroe E6600

ultramo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Looking at building a system in about 2 weeks and i am concidering doing the switch over from AMD to Intel.

Need advise on components

Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975
E6600
Corsair XMS2 Pro 2Gig
7600GT (the motherboard only offers Crossfire, but if i never want to go with dual cards can i use a Nvidia card without a problem)
Plextor PX-716A
P160 Antec
WD 250 SATA II

Please give me your feedback, i am very interested in your comments!

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Doesn't the ds3 use the same base as dq6? How come suggest ds3 that significantly cheaper and not the dq6? I just read anandtech article and had mix feelings for 965 chipset... 975x has very good overclocking potential. There is an asus p5b avaliable for same price as p5w if you insist on 965 chipset. In my opinion, I think your mobo is fine.

Don't get me wrong, ds3 is a good mobo. You can divert those savings to a better card such as 7900gt. I would check out the general homebuild forums and see similar post of conroe builds.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975
* f*ck, if it's good enough for Anandtech, it's good enough for me.

E6600
* for $300, how can you lose ?

Corsair XMS2 Pro 2Gig
* which one -DDR2800C3, C4, C5 ? the one with the lights ? unless you have big funds, i'd forego the lights and get lower latency. are the lights real trick looking ?

7600GT (the motherboard only offers Crossfire, but if i never want to go with dual cards can i use a Nvidia card without a problem)
* eVGA 7600 GT CO, people are raving about at Newegg.

Plextor PX-716A
P160 Antec
WD 250 SATA II
* it's all good. does the Antec have a super power supply ? your system deserves superb power.

you know, these components are theoretically contaminateable by unknown strains of bird flu. i will selflessly volunteer to give your new computer a home during a 3 months burn-in period, and to make sure that reasonable overclocking does not cause any extra release of outgasing from inductive and capacitive components. all, to protect your health, of course.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Looking at building a system in about 2 weeks and i am concidering doing the switch over from AMD to Intel.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975

One of the authors of the article on Anantech told me in an email that if you MUST buy a motherboard now, this is the one. If you can wait Nvidia and ATI will have boards out in Aug/Sept. Also if you can wait the Asus should come down in price as demand increases.

As for the case I'd get the Antec p180b.

The other things I do not know enough about to comment on.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I would leave some room on what mobo till the official release date (27th?...) Prob more mobos will be available closer to the launch date. I mean, if I'm unlucky, I may get more time to read on more mobos if e6600 run short on launch day 8O

I wanted the gigabyte dq6 last week, and now I want the asus p5w, its a struggle waiting. But I defintely want a quality mobo with good overclocking ability. I can live without sli or xfire, so I don't necessarily have to wait for ati/nvidia boards...

What got me hooked on gigabyte last week was that dq6 would support kentfield chip. That would definitely allow me to reuse the mobo, though I plan to run with this conroe for atleast 3 years, and prob be better mobos for next chip, so maybe I can live w/o that feature...

I haven't really spent alot of mobos (current gigabyte mobo was <$100) and now I'm looking at $250+! If I'm going to spend that much, it better be damn good :mrgreen:

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I'd stick with a 975 motherboard, if you dont' plan to OC, i'd go with the Intel Motherboard bad axe Rev 304, otherwise go with the PW5 DH Deluxe

Also the 965 boards don't have PATA in the bios, which means you'd need drivers to install an OS through your PATA CD ROM, or what ever the hell the problem was, i recall people complaining about the lack of SATA CD/DVD drives. I really think the 965 is a weak attempt at crap :p IMO, Let me put it thiw way, i wouldn't want a 965 board for FREE.