Bad laser printout, probable causes?

Hi.

I have a laser printer which produces very "dirty" prints, can someone
with printing knowhow tell me what is the probable cause for this?

The image of bad print is located at:

http://www.kukugaga.com/images/8830_badprint.jpg

Thanks!

Kirill
When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
"@" from the address.

Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
Addresse herausnehmen.
More about laser printout probable causes

    My layman's guess: Dirty optics on the laser. The "dirt" only appears
    around areas that are supposed to print. It makes me think of a focus
    problem, where some of the laser energy is scattered to nearby spots on
    the drum as it is being exposed.

    On some laser printers, you can inspect the exposed image on the drum,
    before transfer to paper. If you can do this, you can see if the
    problem is before/after transfer. If the image is OK before transfer
    to paper, then try to inspect after transfer, but before fusing. I
    don't know what type of printer you have, and I don't know if you can
    do this on yours. Be careful - don't blame me if you break the
    printer.

    Hopefully, others who know more than me about this will reply based on
    experience.

    Paul

    Kirill Ponazdyr wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a laser printer which produces very "dirty" prints, can
    someone
    > with printing knowhow tell me what is the probable cause for this?
    >
    > The image of bad print is located at:
    >
    > http://www.kukugaga.com/images/8830_badprint.jpg
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kirill
    > When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    > "@" from the address.
    >
    > Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    > Addresse herausnehmen.

    Kirill
    Please advise the make and model of the printer - that may help.
    First thoughts are....
    1. There are horizintal lines on the paper, caused possibly by a bad cartridge,
    in some models this can be caused by a near empty cartridge. Have you tried
    changing the cartridge? If not the cartridge then it could be the fuser.
    Knowing the model will assist.
    2. The strange ghosting around the print is worrying, it may be related to the
    lines, if not then it is either laser optics, laser or DC controller problems.

    Please advise model since without that I can only guess.
    Tony

    Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a laser printer which produces very "dirty" prints, can someone
    >with printing knowhow tell me what is the probable cause for this?
    >
    >The image of bad print is located at:
    >
    >http://www.kukugaga.com/images/8830_badprint.jpg
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Kirill
    >When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >"@" from the address.
    >
    >Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >Addresse herausnehmen.

    Dear Tony,

    This is a Xerox 8830 Laser Plotter.

    Jesus, this thing was DIRTY with Toner when I got it. So the first
    thing I thought of was dirty mechanics, but this really should go away
    after some prints, but it did not here.

    Regards

    Kirill

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:42:26 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

    >Kirill
    >Please advise the make and model of the printer - that may help.
    >First thoughts are....
    >1. There are horizintal lines on the paper, caused possibly by a bad cartridge,
    >in some models this can be caused by a near empty cartridge. Have you tried
    >changing the cartridge? If not the cartridge then it could be the fuser.
    >Knowing the model will assist.
    >2. The strange ghosting around the print is worrying, it may be related to the
    >lines, if not then it is either laser optics, laser or DC controller problems.
    >
    >Please advise model since without that I can only guess.
    >Tony
    >

    >Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>I have a laser printer which produces very "dirty" prints, can someone
    >>with printing knowhow tell me what is the probable cause for this?
    >>
    >>The image of bad print is located at:
    >>
    >>http://www.kukugaga.com/images/8830_badprint.jpg
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Kirill
    >>-------------------------------------------------
    >>When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >>"@" from the address.
    >>
    >>Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >>Addresse herausnehmen.
    >>-------------------------------------------------

    When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    "@" from the address.

    Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    Addresse herausnehmen.

    Kirill
    I don't work on Xerox lasers unfortunately (due to some local difficulty with
    Xerox, they refuse to sell us or any other independant repairers any parts!!!).
    Try this (Paul has suggested something similar) -
    Send a page to be printed with a reasonable amount of data on it, open the
    cover when you think the paper is about to enter the fuser. Remove the
    cartridge, carefully remove the paper (the toner will not be fused and will be
    easy to smear) and examine the drum and the paper.....what is the image like on
    the drum and on the paper, let me know.
    Tony

    Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >Dear Tony,
    >
    >This is a Xerox 8830 Laser Plotter.
    >
    >Jesus, this thing was DIRTY with Toner when I got it. So the first
    >thing I thought of was dirty mechanics, but this really should go away
    >after some prints, but it did not here.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Kirill
    >
    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:42:26 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>Kirill
    >>Please advise the make and model of the printer - that may help.
    >>First thoughts are....
    >>1. There are horizintal lines on the paper, caused possibly by a bad
    >>cartridge,
    >>in some models this can be caused by a near empty cartridge. Have you tried
    >>changing the cartridge? If not the cartridge then it could be the fuser.
    >>Knowing the model will assist.
    >>2. The strange ghosting around the print is worrying, it may be related to
    >>the
    >>lines, if not then it is either laser optics, laser or DC controller problems.
    >>
    >>Please advise model since without that I can only guess.
    >>Tony
    >>

    >>Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >>>Hi.
    >>>
    >>>I have a laser printer which produces very "dirty" prints, can someone
    >>>with printing knowhow tell me what is the probable cause for this?
    >>>
    >>>The image of bad print is located at:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.kukugaga.com/images/8830_badprint.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>
    >>>Kirill
    >>>-------------------------------------------------
    >>>When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >>>"@" from the address.
    >>>
    >>>Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >>>Addresse herausnehmen.
    >>>-------------------------------------------------

    >When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >"@" from the address.
    >
    >Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >Addresse herausnehmen.

    Thanks Paul,

    This is a Xerox 8830 Plotter, big beast!

    I am kinda worried about digging deep into it, it is full of toner and
    I am not sure if my lungs will like it.

    Cheers

    Kirill

    On 12-May-2005, gnewsremove1@uugw.hifn.com wrote:

    > Dirty optics on the laser.

    There is a clue in that he says the printer is full of toner,
    it's a good bet that there is a film of toner on the mirror assy.
    Vacuming it may not get it off, a soft brush might, if you
    can get into the optics. From the repeating lines there
    also appears to be a cartridge problem, the toner forming
    the lines going round again, instead of being scavenged by the
    doctor/scraper blade, into the waste toner hopper. They
    repeat by the circumference of the drum. Worst case
    ghost images of already printed text appear.

    Sorry
    I didn't see this before I replied to the poster. Your diagnosis is probably
    spot on.
    Tony

    On 13-May-2005, Tony <> wrote:

    > Sorry
    > I didn't see this before I replied to the poster. Your diagnosis is
    > probably
    > spot on.
    > Tony

    Think of the effect as being like car headlamps in a fog.
    Well except for California where they don't get fog.
    He mentions being afraid of the dust. Do it outside
    on a breezy day, stand upwind, and all the dust is
    blown away from you. Dust everywhere in the printer
    can occur if it's been shipped by carrier, with an
    unsealed partially used cartridge.

    I have been to California several times although I live in a different country,
    and the worst memory I have is of the dreadful smog that you fly into when you
    arrive in LA. So I'm a bit confused by your post. I can only assume that you
    live in LA since those poor folks simply do not notice what they are breathing
    every day. <G> <G>.
    Tony

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:44:00 +0000, wrote:

    > Most domestic vacuum cleaners will pick up the majority of it

    And it will pass straight through the filters and out the exhaust. It's
    not urban legend. I did it many years ago on a Panasonic "bottle fed"
    laser (KX-P4450? maybe?) which someone had "refilled" by emptying the
    waste toner back into the main hopper :-(

    Fortunately, it was done outside. There was a black streak up the wall
    where the vacuum clean exhaust was pointed.

    --
    Dave

    Fair enough, I guess it depends on the vacuum cleaner, I have used domestic
    cleaners in an emergency with no problem, perhaps they had the fine filters
    that are quite common now for anti-allergenic situations, who knows. Waste
    toner is good for adding to concrete, gives that streaky look :-(
    Tony

    DaveG <dave-ng@nospam.tld> wrote:
    >On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:44:00 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >> Most domestic vacuum cleaners will pick up the majority of it
    >
    >And it will pass straight through the filters and out the exhaust. It's
    >not urban legend. I did it many years ago on a Panasonic "bottle fed"
    >laser (KX-P4450? maybe?) which someone had "refilled" by emptying the
    >waste toner back into the main hopper :-(
    >
    >Fortunately, it was done outside. There was a black streak up the wall
    >where the vacuum clean exhaust was pointed.
    >
    >--
    >Dave

    Tony,

    Okay, I managed to do a test printout, stop printer and look at the
    drum. The result is: The dirt is around the lines already on the drum.

    So, laser or "mirror" is dirty, which is very possible since when I
    looked indepth with the flashlight I saw tons of toner in there.

    The problem is: I cannot find any resonable way to access the deeper
    areas, I really need a Xerox 8830 service manual, can anyone help?

    Also: Is that normal for the laser plotter to leak this way? Looks
    kinda scary and incredible waste.....

    Regards

    Kirill

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:14:55 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

    >Kirill
    >I don't work on Xerox lasers unfortunately (due to some local difficulty with
    >Xerox, they refuse to sell us or any other independant repairers any parts!!!).
    >Try this (Paul has suggested something similar) -
    >Send a page to be printed with a reasonable amount of data on it, open the
    >cover when you think the paper is about to enter the fuser. Remove the
    >cartridge, carefully remove the paper (the toner will not be fused and will be
    >easy to smear) and examine the drum and the paper.....what is the image like on
    >the drum and on the paper, let me know.
    >Tony
    >
    >Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >>Dear Tony,
    >>
    >>This is a Xerox 8830 Laser Plotter.
    >>
    >>Jesus, this thing was DIRTY with Toner when I got it. So the first
    >>thing I thought of was dirty mechanics, but this really should go away
    >>after some prints, but it did not here.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Kirill
    >>
    >>On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:42:26 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kirill
    >>>Please advise the make and model of the printer - that may help.
    >>>First thoughts are....
    >>>1. There are horizintal lines on the paper, caused possibly by a bad
    >>>cartridge,
    >>>in some models this can be caused by a near empty cartridge. Have you tried
    >>>changing the cartridge? If not the cartridge then it could be the fuser.
    >>>Knowing the model will assist.
    >>>2. The strange ghosting around the print is worrying, it may be related to
    >>>the
    >>>lines, if not then it is either laser optics, laser or DC controller problems.
    >>>
    >>>Please advise model since without that I can only guess.
    >>>Tony

    >>-------------------------------------------------
    >>When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >>"@" from the address.
    >>
    >>Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >>Addresse herausnehmen.
    >>-------------------------------------------------

    When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    "@" from the address.

    Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    Addresse herausnehmen.

    Kirill
    No it is not normal for any laser printer to dump toner, the toner cartridge
    will need to be replaced or repaired or you will continue to get toner dumps.
    Try http://www.manuals4you.com/ for the service manual, couldn't see it listed
    there but ask him if he has that model. Failing that do a search for the manual
    or ask for it one one of the laser printer forums. Check the compliance label
    on the printer (where the serial number is) and make sure of the model number.
    Tony

    Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >Tony,
    >
    >Okay, I managed to do a test printout, stop printer and look at the
    >drum. The result is: The dirt is around the lines already on the drum.
    >
    >So, laser or "mirror" is dirty, which is very possible since when I
    >looked indepth with the flashlight I saw tons of toner in there.
    >
    >The problem is: I cannot find any resonable way to access the deeper
    >areas, I really need a Xerox 8830 service manual, can anyone help?
    >
    >Also: Is that normal for the laser plotter to leak this way? Looks
    >kinda scary and incredible waste.....
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Kirill
    >
    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:14:55 -0000, Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >>Kirill
    >>I don't work on Xerox lasers unfortunately (due to some local difficulty with
    >>Xerox, they refuse to sell us or any other independant repairers any
    >>parts!!!).
    >>Try this (Paul has suggested something similar) -
    >>Send a page to be printed with a reasonable amount of data on it, open the
    >>cover when you think the paper is about to enter the fuser. Remove the
    >>cartridge, carefully remove the paper (the toner will not be fused and will
    >>be
    >>easy to smear) and examine the drum and the paper.....what is the image like
    >>on
    >>the drum and on the paper, let me know.
    >>Tony
    >>
    >>Kirill Ponazdyr <ng1@@codeangels.com> wrote:
    >>>Dear Tony,
    >>>
    >>>This is a Xerox 8830 Laser Plotter.
    >>>
    >>>Jesus, this thing was DIRTY with Toner when I got it. So the first
    >>>thing I thought of was dirty mechanics, but this really should go away
    >>>after some prints, but it did not here.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>Kirill

    >>>-------------------------------------------------
    >>>When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >>>"@" from the address.
    >>>
    >>>Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >>>Addresse herausnehmen.

    >When replying via E-Mail, please remove duplicate
    >"@" from the address.
    >
    >Bei Antwort via E-Mail, bitte doppelter "@" aus der
    >Addresse herausnehmen.
  14. The problem here is two-folds you first have to clean the unit.
    Second you must do a general maintenace in replacing the developer and corona wire for the charging process and check the fuser and it cleaning web for your lines.

Printers Laser Printer Email Peripherals