event error 8021

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

hello all,

Just checked a DC's event logs and this is logged in the system log.

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master
\\LAPTOPNAME on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{DD75D3BD-53C5-42A3-AE1A-15B4A001FF44}. The data is the
error code.

I recall there is a registry hack in
HKLM\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\services\browser\paramteres\MaintinServerlist
- 0

Should that fix stop this issue on client machines?

BTW, could someone let me know how the browser service should be configured,
I was always under the impression that the DC holding the role pf PDC
emulator would fulfill this.

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Just noticed event ID 8003

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
DOMAINCONTROLLER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain
on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{33244DFC-2DA8-46. The master browser is stopping
or an election is being forced.

We have 6 dc's, 2 on each physical site, the secondary ones recently
installed (1 on each site) names are where DOMAINCONTROLER is, the events
are bein logged on the macine that holds the role of PDC Emulator.

Any help much appreciated.

"ade" <noone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> hello all,
>
> Just checked a DC's event logs and this is logged in the system log.
>
> The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser
master
> \\LAPTOPNAME on the network
> \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{DD75D3BD-53C5-42A3-AE1A-15B4A001FF44}. The data is
the
> error code.
>
> I recall there is a registry hack in

HKLM\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\services\browser\paramteres\MaintinServerlist
> - 0
>
> Should that fix stop this issue on client machines?
>
> BTW, could someone let me know how the browser service should be
configured,
> I was always under the impression that the DC holding the role pf PDC
> emulator would fulfill this.

Ade

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Just had a ratch around, this seems to be caused by our routers forwarding
UDP packets on port 137 and 138 for the IP helper, so, the idea of having a
master browser on each subnet is null.

Hope this helps someone else out.