How do I move the domain naming master role?

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Active Directory
  • Servers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 20, 2005 3:28:22 PM

I got this error in my event log:
----------------------
Ownership of the following FSMO role is set to a server which is deleted or
does not exist.
Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until
this condition is corrected.
----------------------

When I go to change the operations master using 'Active Directory domains
and trusts' snap in - the domain nameing master role doesnt exist, it just
says 'ERROR'.

How do I move this role to another server? The 'change' button is greyed
out...

Thanks,
Grant

More about : move domain naming master role

June 20, 2005 3:37:00 PM

try this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

"Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got this error in my event log:
> ----------------------
> Ownership of the following FSMO role is set to a server which is deleted
or
> does not exist.
> Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail
until
> this condition is corrected.
> ----------------------
>
> When I go to change the operations master using 'Active Directory
domains
> and trusts' snap in - the domain nameing master role doesnt exist, it just
> says 'ERROR'.
>
> How do I move this role to another server? The 'change' button is greyed
> out...
>
> Thanks,
> Grant

June 20, 2005 4:23:00 PM

Thanks for the link, that seemed to work...

"ade" <noone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> try this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
>

> "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I got this error in my event log:
>> ----------------------
>> Ownership of the following FSMO role is set to a server which is deleted
> or
>> does not exist.
>> Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail
> until
>> this condition is corrected.
>> ----------------------
>>
>> When I go to change the operations master using 'Active Directory
> domains
>> and trusts' snap in - the domain nameing master role doesnt exist, it
>> just
>> says 'ERROR'.
>>
>> How do I move this role to another server? The 'change' button is greyed
>> out...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Grant

!