3Com Card gives Yellow exclamation after format

G

My brother has reformatted our computer, and now, our 3com card, used for our cable modem, gives a yellow exclamation
mark! I think it is a 3Com 509B Combo ISA, not sure tho...
Anyway, the rest of our system is:
1 ghz TBird
Abit KT-7A
32mb GF2 GTS
256mb RAM
W98 SE
46 gig IBm HD
SB Live

I do not belive it is shared MSInfo32 gives me it alone on IRQ 12

If anyone knows some problems common after formatting for people who dont do this often, i would appreciate it!

Thanks...

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try updating the driver with the latest one found for your OS version on the www.3com.com website.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just another thing to keep in mind: WinME and Win2K don't support ISA devices.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://netcomp.cjb.net" target="_new">http://netcomp.cjb.net</A></b>

G

I am using W98SE and i have removed it from device manager, and widnwos does pick it up correctly, and does instlal drivers but still there is that yellow mark!!!!

If anyone has more ideas plz post! thanks

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't remove it, windows will always put the same driver. Go on the 3com website, download the latest driver and update it trought your hardware manager. I think Windows is trying to install the wrong driver.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

ttaylor

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
That's the first I've heard of non-support for ISA devices in Win2k and WinME. I'm running Win2k Advanced Server with both a SoundBlaster and internal modem that are ISA with no problem. Are you sure?

bellmar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have a 509 but I have several 905 series cards. 3com recommends that you remove the card before install of a new operating system. Then you run a preinstall program that is included in the drivers called PREINSTL.EXE. Then after running that proggy, install the NIC. Then install the drivers. It worked on the 905b and c's I have. So hopefully it will on your 509 also, goodluck.