New Rumor, any comments

Last response: in Network Providers
October 27, 2004 11:55:47 AM

I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.

I sort of suspect that this is bogus, but I do beleive that all of
Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile

Any comments.

Chip

More about : rumor comments

October 27, 2004 12:35:04 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:55:47 -0400, Ralph Blach
<rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
>the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.

You must have heard wrong. cingular is going to buy the US
government.

October 27, 2004 6:47:28 PM

In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

> I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
> the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
>
> I sort of suspect that this is bogus, but I do beleive that all of
> Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile
>
> Any comments.
>
> Chip

Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.

SBC and Bell South (owners of CIngular) just had to sell off many assets
to be able to afford ATTWS. They are hardly in a buying mood now.

As for who they will sell off assets to, they will (in all cases) sell
to the highest bidder.
October 27, 2004 7:31:00 PM

In <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:55:47 -0400,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
>the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.

Utter nonsense.

>I sort of suspect that this is bogus, but I do beleive that all of
>Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile
>
>Any comments.

Some is already being sold to T-Mobile (California), but other parts may well
go to other buyers. T-Mobile would presumably only be interested in 1900 MHz
spectrum.

October 27, 2004 9:32:52 PM

> Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.

Agreed. It us not likely that the Justice Department would allow a merger
like that, because it would severely limit competition.

AT&T (the ORIGINAL AT&T) will reenter the cellular market once this merger
has been completed. I read somewhere that Cingular can use the AT&T logo
and trademark for up to 6 months, while they fold ATTWS into Cingular.

There has been a lot of speculation expressed that AT&T expects a
significant number of us former ATTWS customers to return to the familiar
AT&T brand, once they start up again, and I am hopeful that there will be
some really good incentives to switch.

AT&T has a 5-year deal to use Sprint's network to carry their calls, but
AT&T will set rates, handle their own billing and customer service, and
arrange their own roaming agreements.

This 5-year deal might give time to construct a new network if they so
choose. I don't know if AT&T plans to remain a virtual wireless company
indefinitely, but they could, if they wanted to, have a fully built-out
network over 5 years. And they can select which transmission protocol they
want to employ, rather than be saddled with both a TDMA and a GSM network,
as the old ATTWS had. That killed them, I think.

I'll be glad to see the REAL AT&T re-enter the wireless market, and I'll bet
that they will do it right this time around. Time will tell.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:32:53 PM

Well, beleive or not, I thought he was wrong to.
I do however see see Cingular selling the spectrum they own to T-mobile
or Sun-Com simply because they are GSM carriers

IMHO

Chip

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:32:52 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
wrote:

>I'll be glad to see the REAL AT&T re-enter the wireless market, and I'll bet
>that they will do it right this time around. Time will tell.

Well, considering how wrong they did it last time and considering
their track record with most everything that was associated with them
whether it be long distance, local service or credit card operations
they seem to have the knack for running themselves into the ground.
It's sad to see that a well-established well-thought of company has
fallen from such heights. Maybe judge Green is partly to blame or
it's just the natural order of things.

October 27, 2004 9:32:54 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:28:32 -0400, Ralph Blach
<rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>Well, beleive or not, I thought he was wrong to.
>I do however see see Cingular selling the spectrum they own to T-mobile
>or Sun-Com simply because they are GSM carriers

What does GSM have to do with it? Spectrum doesn't have to use any
single technology. It can use any technology.

October 27, 2004 10:43:42 PM

In <8ZQfd.11006$ta5.5841@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004
17:32:52 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote:

>AT&T (the ORIGINAL AT&T) will reenter the cellular market once this merger
>has been completed.

It already has, albeit on a limited basis.

>I read somewhere that Cingular can use the AT&T logo
>and trademark for up to 6 months, while they fold ATTWS into Cingular.

Correct.

>There has been a lot of speculation expressed that AT&T expects a
>significant number of us former ATTWS customers to return to the familiar
>AT&T brand, once they start up again, and I am hopeful that there will be
>some really good incentives to switch.

Perhaps, but it's difficult and expensive to build a customer basis from
scratch, and AT&T isn't exactly known for that kind of patience and execution
(to say the least).

>AT&T has a 5-year deal to use Sprint's network to carry their calls, but
>AT&T will set rates, handle their own billing and customer service, and
>arrange their own roaming agreements.
>
>This 5-year deal might give time to construct a new network if they so
>choose. I don't know if AT&T plans to remain a virtual wireless company
>indefinitely, but they could, if they wanted to, have a fully built-out
>network over 5 years.

I think there's a reasonably good chance that AT&T would either buy out or
joint venture with Sprint, and thus acquire an established customer base.

>And they can select which transmission protocol they
>want to employ, rather than be saddled with both a TDMA and a GSM network,
>as the old ATTWS had. That killed them, I think.

Bad management killed ATTWS. Cingular has done a much better job of managing
transition from TDMA to GSM.

>I'll be glad to see the REAL AT&T re-enter the wireless market, and I'll bet
>that they will do it right this time around. Time will tell.

True, but AT&T has a very poor track record in pursuing such opportunities,
and I personally doubt that it will do much better this time around. The
corporate culture still hasn't improved.

October 27, 2004 10:43:51 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:55:47 -0400, Ralph Blach
> <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
> >I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
> >the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
>
> You must have heard wrong. cingular is going to buy the US
> government.

I didn't know Halliburton had it up for sale....

Mark

---
October 27, 2004 10:56:49 PM

In <10nvq6aigbdf31@corp.supernews.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:28:32 -0400,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

>I do however see see Cingular selling the spectrum they own to T-mobile
>or Sun-Com simply because they are GSM carriers

Certainly possible. It's also possible that it might be sold to
folks-you've-never-heard-of that will use it to sell roaming coverage.

October 27, 2004 11:13:54 PM

In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:

> I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
> the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.

Cingular is going to buy my car. They said so.
October 27, 2004 11:13:55 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:13:54 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
> Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
>> I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
>> the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
>
>Cingular is going to buy my car. They said so.

Do they *really* want a Yugo? :)

October 28, 2004 2:28:29 AM

In article <ch20o01q8hatvonbbkg9evoln1fn157pqc@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:28:32 -0400, Ralph Blach
> <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
> >Well, beleive or not, I thought he was wrong to.
> >I do however see see Cingular selling the spectrum they own to T-mobile
> >or Sun-Com simply because they are GSM carriers
>
> What does GSM have to do with it? Spectrum doesn't have to use any
> single technology. It can use any technology.

Presumably carriers that mainly use 1900 MHz would be more interested in
that spectrum, whereas Verizon which uses mostly 800 MHz wouldn't.
October 28, 2004 2:28:30 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:28:29 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <ch20o01q8hatvonbbkg9evoln1fn157pqc@4ax.com>,
> Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:28:32 -0400, Ralph Blach
>> <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, beleive or not, I thought he was wrong to.
>> >I do however see see Cingular selling the spectrum they own to T-mobile
>> >or Sun-Com simply because they are GSM carriers
>>
>> What does GSM have to do with it? Spectrum doesn't have to use any
>> single technology. It can use any technology.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>Presumably carriers that mainly use 1900 MHz would be more interested in
>that spectrum, whereas Verizon which uses mostly 800 MHz wouldn't.

Verizon uses both cellular and PCS. Do you know many carriers that
are going to turn down spectrum if offered to them?

October 28, 2004 2:31:30 AM

In article <ob20o0h75t7u5ftfrarld2deghobkiptoc@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:32:52 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'll be glad to see the REAL AT&T re-enter the wireless market, and I'll bet
> >that they will do it right this time around. Time will tell.
>
> Well, considering how wrong they did it last time and considering
> their track record with most everything that was associated with them
> whether it be long distance, local service or credit card operations
> they seem to have the knack for running themselves into the ground.
> It's sad to see that a well-established well-thought of company has
> fallen from such heights. Maybe judge Green is partly to blame or
> it's just the natural order of things.

AT&T (Long Distance) will gain back the name AT&T Wireless in 6 months.
They already have a 5 year deal to have a cellular service using
Sprint's Network, sort of like Virgin does.

http://wirelessreview.com/ar/telecom_att_corp_goes/
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:26:25 AM

In <elmop-589110.19135427102004@text.usenetserver.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004
19:13:54 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
> Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
>> I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
>> the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
>
>Cingular is going to buy my car. They said so.

That old junker?

October 28, 2004 5:24:27 AM

In <lrh0o09igvj62jtjvhcc3mnb2lpj157scb@4ax.com> on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:13:38
-0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>... Do you know many carriers that
>are going to turn down spectrum if offered to them?

Depends on the price. It won't be free.

October 29, 2004 5:15:48 AM

>I do beleive that all of
>Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile

We who have Cingular, AT&T and T-Mobile can only hope that this is correct!

--
John S.
October 30, 2004 2:33:21 AM

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.
>>

> AT&T (the ORIGINAL AT&T) will reenter the cellular market once this merger
> has been completed. I read somewhere that Cingular can use the AT&T logo
> and trademark for up to 6 months, while they fold ATTWS into Cingular.
>
> There has been a lot of speculation expressed that AT&T expects a
> significant number of us former ATTWS customers to return to the familiar
> AT&T brand, once they start up again, and I am hopeful that there will be
> some really good incentives to switch.
>
> AT&T has a 5-year deal to use Sprint's network to carry their calls, but
> AT&T will set rates, handle their own billing and customer service, and
> arrange their own roaming agreements.

While AT&T (as a Sprint reseller) will not turn down retail customers, their
primary target is businesses. They want to continue to offer cellular in
their business phone packages (along with wireline, VOIP, etc).. Up until
now ATTWS was being contracted for that purpose by AT&T. One of the things
Cingular gains in the merger is a lot of business users. Cingular will work
hard to keep them since it is a segment in which Cingular has not been
traditionally strong.
-- Cary
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 2:10:17 PM

> In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
> Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>
> > I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
> > the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
> >
> > I sort of suspect that this is bogus, but I do beleive that all of
> > Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile
> >
> > Any comments.
> >
> > Chip
>
> Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.
>
> SBC and Bell South (owners of CIngular) just had to sell off many assets
> to be able to afford ATTWS. They are hardly in a buying mood now.
>
> As for who they will sell off assets to, they will (in all cases) sell
> to the highest bidder.

Just what assets did they have to sell to "afford" ATTWS?

Link please.

------------
SS
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 9:44:56 PM

In <2uhp82F2a14n6U1@uni-berlin.de> on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:10:17 -0500,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <10nv35s6k9d6eb4@corp.supernews.com>,
>> Ralph Blach <rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> wrote:
>>
>> > I was at a Cingular store, yesterday, and the employee said that
>> > the new rumor was that Cingular was going to purchase T-mobile.
>> >
>> > I sort of suspect that this is bogus, but I do beleive that all of
>> > Cingulars excess spectrum will be sold to T-mobile
>> >
>> > Any comments.
>> >
>> > Chip
>>
>> Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.
>>
>> SBC and Bell South (owners of CIngular) just had to sell off many assets
>> to be able to afford ATTWS. They are hardly in a buying mood now.
>>
>> As for who they will sell off assets to, they will (in all cases) sell
>> to the highest bidder.
>

>Just what assets did they have to sell to "afford" ATTWS?
>
>Link please.

http://www.infoamericas.com/announcements/ITandT-sales/...

October 31, 2004 1:38:21 AM

In article <sqQgd.2388$_3.30178@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <2uhp82F2a14n6U1@uni-berlin.de> on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:10:17 -0500,
> "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:
>

> >"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> Totally bogus. Next time ask for a URL.
> >>
> >> SBC and Bell South (owners of CIngular) just had to sell off many assets
> >> to be able to afford ATTWS. They are hardly in a buying mood now.
> >>
> >> As for who they will sell off assets to, they will (in all cases) sell
> >> to the highest bidder.
> >

> >Just what assets did they have to sell to "afford" ATTWS?
> >
> >Link please.
>
> http://www.infoamericas.com/announcements/ITandT-sales/...
> es.htm

On top of the $41 Billion in ATTWS stock, they assumed about $9.5
billion in debts.

7.350% Senior Notes due 2006 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $1,000,000,000;

7.875% Senior Notes due 2011 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $3,000,000,000; and

8.750% Senior Notes due 2031 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $2,500,000,000.

6.875% Senior Notes due 2005 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $250,000,000;

7.500% Senior Notes due 2007 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $750,000,000; and

8.125% Senior Notes due 2012 with an aggregate outstanding principal
amount of $2,000,000,000.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:10:35 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:50:27 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Well, considering how wrong they did it last time and considering
>their track record with most everything that was associated with them
>whether it be long distance, local service or credit card operations
>they seem to have the knack for running themselves into the ground.
>It's sad to see that a well-established well-thought of company has
>fallen from such heights. Maybe judge Green is partly to blame or
>it's just the natural order of things.

I think the corporate mentality is still stuck in "we're the only game
in town so we can do whatever we want" gear.
!