Sign in with
Your question

AM3 Back to 939 Pins

Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2006 1:55:12 AM

I guess AMD enjoys going retro. AM2 went back to 940 pins, and now it's been announced that AM3 will return to 939 pins. This would explain how they'll be backwards compatible with AM2, since instead of reorganizing the pin out, they just remove a pin.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=633569&starttim...

Quote:
For the upcoming Socket AM3 interface, it has 939-pins and is designed to consistent with Socket AM2. With 939 pins only, Socket AM3 processors are compatible to 940-pin Socket AM2 mainboard. The only limitation is just DDR2 and Hyper-Transport 1.0 support only. However, 940-pin Socket AM2 processors are certainly not compatible to 939-pin Socket AM3 mainboard.

The other tidbit, is that desktop K8L processors are to arrive in Q1 2008. This has kind of been implied, but this seems to be the first time someone has bluntly gone out and said it.

Quote:
The last high-end K8 processor Athlon 64 FX-66 (3.2GHz/1MBx2 L2/1GHz HT) is expected to release in 2007 Q3. After that, new K8L products are going to appear in 2008 Q1.

Also, there's a curious statement about 65nm Turions.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=633603&starttim...

Quote:
According to the latest roadmap of AMD mobile products, 65nm process introduction in is scheduled in the upper half of 2007. Without any change in design, Tyler and Sherman are the codenames for 65nm Turion 64 x2 and Mobile Sempron. As dual-core is becoming common, AMD has no plan for 65nm single-core Turion64 and Turion64 is going to fade out in 2007 Q3.

The question is what does "upper half" mean? H1 or H2? I would hope H1 since H2 is too late. Anyways, the first 65nm Turions look to be a die shrink "without any change in design" just like the first 65nm desktop chips. No sign of Bulldozer. The earliest Bulldozer can appear would probably be in Q3 maybe closer to Q4 if K8L's server introduction, which supposedly is for Q2 or Q3, requires more of AMD's attention.

More about : am3 back 939 pins

July 19, 2006 1:59:12 AM

Sux to be an AMD fanboy, especially if your name is BaronMatrix.
a c 473 à CPUs
July 19, 2006 2:14:13 AM

Quote:
I guess AMD enjoys going retro. AM2 went back to 940 pins, and now it's been announced that AM3 will return to 939 pins. This would explain how they'll be backwards compatible with AM2, since instead of reorganizing the pin out, they just remove a pin.

Hmm....

Interesting, perhaps they simply remove one of the pins that draws power. Could mean a slightly more power efficient design. Pure speculation though.
Related resources
July 19, 2006 2:17:07 AM

One pin isnt going to make a difference, the additional pin for AM2 is probably redundant.
July 19, 2006 2:20:18 AM

Quote:
One pin isnt going to make a difference, the additional pin for AM2 is probably redundant.

Awesome so all AMD has to do is move a pin around and keep the same basic peice of plastic !!! cost savings passed on to the customer of course !!! hehehe ohh I feel for them as ill be dumping a perfectly good 775 bourd here to buy another one for Core 2 LOL
a c 473 à CPUs
July 19, 2006 2:33:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that could be true too. Anyway, it's not a big deal.
July 19, 2006 3:00:45 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is; it had to do with people not mistakenly buying an AM2 processor and trying to put it into a 939 board.
July 19, 2006 3:13:19 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is; it had to do with people not mistakenly buying an AM2 processor and trying to put it into a 939 board.

Yes but then AMD is missing out of alot of sales on fried CPU's !!! just think you could make all your CPU's fit in one socket and when it fried becouse some noob tried to stick it in the wrong socket BAM ! 300$ Profit !!! Of course this could do some damage to there image as a consumer freindly company :) 
July 19, 2006 3:24:34 AM

This is more to 9-inch specifically, but try if possible to place as many related articles as you can in one thread to avoid spamming the forum. I believe the mods have commented for you to start a official 9-inch News Thread before.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Intel-Announcem...

Something like the above isn't as flashy or attention grabbing, but it wouldn't be right for me to have flooded the forum with 6 articles one after another.
July 19, 2006 3:46:11 AM

Quote:
Sux to be an AMD fanboy, especially if your name is BaronMatrix.

That would actually be "username" considering that I spent awhile trying to find one that would work on every site.

I think I've done a good job of making sure no one ever adopts that username.

Oh and that's not my real name.
July 19, 2006 3:48:47 AM

[/quote]9-inch, BaronMatrix ----

Take note, this post is newsworthy and is appropriate for conversation. It does not violate the terms of agreement.
Quote:

If you look at my post about the server roadmap, either I already read this article or I'm a ringer.

Your choice.
July 19, 2006 4:24:50 AM

Notice that 'username' has the word 'name' in it. So obviously to save typing I just used name. Although by typing this out that saving is cancelled out and then some.

Anyways looks like AMD is going to get owned for a quite a while, especially in the mobile sector. A shame but their pricing should keep them competitive.
July 19, 2006 4:33:17 AM

Quote:

Hmm....

Interesting, perhaps they simply remove one of the pins that draws power. Could mean a slightly more power efficient design. Pure speculation though.

Redesigning sockets, cooler retention mechanisms and pin-layouts just for the sake of it isn't cheap, so why can't they just use something that they already know which works just as well... We will be able to use our retro zalman coolers again yay!!!

This just tells us that sometime after AM2 was released, AMD will be dropping support for anything but AM2, which we already knew.
July 19, 2006 4:45:06 AM

Quote:
Notice that 'username' has the word 'name' in it. So obviously to save typing I just used name. Although by typing this out that saving is cancelled out and then some.

Anyways looks like AMD is going to get owned for a quite a while, especially in the mobile sector. A shame but their pricing should keep them competitive.

And someone posted a story where AM3 would have "<= 940 pins."

Turion X2 posted record S3 power levels(total blank - Google MSI S3). I actually posted the link previously.

AMD is looking at power only. Starting at K8 is a real advantage. It was something totally unexpected that fit so well with HT that it didddddd make a name for them. I also remember posting that I wouldn't use AMD for my studio PC for years.
July 19, 2006 5:27:01 AM

Quote:

Who? When?

Quote:
Turion X2 posted record S3 power levels(total blank - Google MSI S3). I actually posted the link previously.

Those were TDP numbers not real numbers.

Quote:
Starting at K8 is a real advantage.

They didn't start at K8, its largely based off K7 you moron. Its obviously not an advantage since they're getting their asses handed to them.
July 19, 2006 6:46:36 AM

Quote:
]The last high-end K8 processor Athlon 64 FX-66 (3.2GHz/1MBx2 L2/1GHz HT) is expected to release in 2007 Q3.
Looks like AMD isn't just going to be late for the party, but they're showing up a day late after the cleanup. As far as the s939, i guess all the AMD fanboys who ragged about Intel doing the switch-a-roo with sockets over the years, are going to be eating their words...and now AMD is screwing their customers over....Intel style. :wink: This is becoming extremely amusing and gratifying to watch. Better than the soap operas my wife watches. :) 
July 19, 2006 6:50:36 AM

Sure K8 is a bit old, but as long as AMD can squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the sucker who cares?
July 19, 2006 6:53:05 AM

Quote:
Sure K8 is a bit old, but as long as AMD can squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the sucker who cares?
Just like Intel did with Netburst, but when Intel did it, it was stupid and they were ripping people off.
July 19, 2006 7:30:31 AM

Quote:

Oh and that's not my real name.

I hope its not.
July 19, 2006 7:48:25 AM

What could hurt them launching K8L that late, is tha it will be lucky to match Intels CPU in a year and a half. They also will have tweaked quad core 65nm by then and be working on 45nm probably with a working sample.

What it could do is create SELL SELL SELL on their stock, making it plummet to dangerous; levels if they don't save some face soon.
July 19, 2006 8:32:40 AM

I hope were not seeing the days when Athlon XP's were rated above their perfomance just to compete with P4 Northwood.

AMD just tried to keep on squeezing 66mhz for every speed bin until the gap between AthlonXP and P4 was 1ghz. We all know what happened back then, Athlon XP was slower and AMD kept losing money and wasn't able to release K8 faster.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself, AMD keeps on releasing K8's because they can't release K8L yet.
July 19, 2006 1:54:47 PM

Quote:
how much milk can they get from that?t

Talking about this, if K8 hasn't the temp/frequency limits of netburst, where do you think it's limits can be? It has relatively low clock speeds and the possibility to add all the stuff conroe has or even more. Am I missing anything here???
July 19, 2006 2:42:47 PM

Quote:
[/ quote]9-inch, BaronMatrix ----

Take note, this post is newsworthy and is appropriate for conversation. It does not violate the terms of agreement.
[ quote]

If you look at my post about the server roadmap, either I already read this article or I'm a ringer.

Your choice.

Considering your pickiness with regard to "username" and "name," you should learn how to do quotes properly. Maybe picking up an introduction to HTML book would help?
July 19, 2006 3:12:32 PM

Quote:
As far as the s939, i guess all the AMD fanboys who ragged about Intel doing the switch-a-roo with sockets over the years, are going to be eating their words...and now AMD is screwing their customers over....Intel style. :wink:

Im no AMD fanboy by any means, but it hurts me to see a post this incorrect... You should read the article before you say things, as it clearly states that the switch back to 939 pins is to allow backwards compatability with AM2 sockets, while at the same time keeping someone from using an AM2 processor in an AM3 socket since it will have different RAM and HT specs. That means an AM3 processor will work in current motherboards AND future ones, seems pretty upgrade friendly to me.

Damn those Texans, trying to let us have our cake AND eat it too...
July 19, 2006 3:30:04 PM

Quote:
As far as the s939, i guess all the AMD fanboys who ragged about Intel doing the switch-a-roo with sockets over the years, are going to be eating their words...and now AMD is screwing their customers over....Intel style.
I'm stuck in that position with 939. :( 
July 19, 2006 3:39:42 PM

From what I understand, if you put AM3 processor in AM2 board,
you will only be able to use DDR2.. 8O
not a true upgrade IMO
July 19, 2006 4:02:42 PM

Wow, Q1 of 2008. I loved all the Fanboy talk that put it at Q1 2007.
July 19, 2006 4:35:46 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, if you put AM3 processor in AM2 board,
you will only be able to use DDR2.. 8O
not a true upgrade IMO

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Eventually newer and better processors will come out on the AM3 that are not also put out on the AM2 (a ways down the road, but it will happen some day) and the design will still let you do a cheap upgrade of a processor only rather than a processor/MB/RAM upgrade. Its much more backwards compatability than anything else.

I find it kinda interesting that, although its going to get played off as a big advantage to customers, I bet it will be a great manufacturing move by AMD. It will allow their MFG lines to quickly move to the new socket and drop production of their AM2 processors altogether, move into the new HT and RAM specs and such, and still not anger anyone who bought an AM2 board since all the new toys still with with their hardware. Seems like a pretty smart move...

Now if only they could figure out that whole 65nm or K8L business a little faster... heh
July 19, 2006 5:58:04 PM

Quote:
Wow, Q1 of 2008. I loved all the Fanboy talk that put it at Q1 2007.

THAT'S FOR THE DESKTOP. SERVER WILL HAPPEN MUCH SOONER. Around Q2.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2006 7:27:44 PM

Link please?? :roll:
July 19, 2006 8:10:16 PM

One definition of name:

"A word or words by which an entity is designated and distinguished from others."

So BaronMatrix is not your 'legal' name. But it is your 'real' name.

So is nobody complaining about having to buy a new board just to use conroe? Sure, its 775 but...
July 19, 2006 8:19:05 PM

It's sure not his false name!
July 19, 2006 8:20:06 PM

Quote:
Link please?? :roll:
Linkage!

It is talked about at around 2:00 in.
July 19, 2006 8:37:10 PM

Quote:
Yes looks that way. However I guess theres no need to point out that Intel has been getting owned for 3 years straight. A reversal was imminent.
Im glad to see that the AM3 chips will run on AM2 boards. :lol: 
[/quote]
Did you get banned MrsD???
July 19, 2006 9:39:19 PM

Regardless what the Intelbies think, AMD's position right now is still better than Intel's was when K8 was first released. I don't think anyone has a HUGE problem with P4's performance, not that it was good, but a normal case in a normal house caused the dang things to throttle-down. If power consumption and heat were taken care off, as they seem to be for the most part in the 65nm Pentium D's, they are not bad chips. Not good, but not bad. What troubles most people, is the fact that Intel IS 10X the size of AMD, which is also why it can do things faster. In a ideal world, there'd be more than two competing chip manufacturers, but with only two, both being the same size and each having 50% of the market creates the best prices for the consumer. As far as the 805 goes, it JUST became a good deal when its price was slashed. It WASN'T a good deal beforehand, just like the rest of the dual core D's weren't. Now with pricing the way it is after both have been cut, you really have to work hard to find a bad deal (other than the FX and Pentium D EE).
July 19, 2006 10:22:51 PM

Quote:

Who? When?

Quote:

Those were TDP numbers not real numbers.

Quote:
Starting at K8 is a real advantage.

They didn't start at K8, its largely based off K7 you moron. Its obviously not an advantage since they're getting their asses handed to them.

You know I see alot of posts with this name and seems most of them are rants. I can understand trashing a vendor or company but to cuss and swear at another user for his opinion? Yes it there's alot of posts by this guy but you can always just ignore his posts. Frankly I don't find your posts anything but as big as annoyance as Matrix's. Try posting something positive for a change. Try adding info or tips to help someone that way you'd be saying something not just yelling at the wind :) 
July 19, 2006 10:34:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes looks that way. However I guess theres no need to point out that Intel has been getting owned for 3 years straight. A reversal was imminent.
Im glad to see that the AM3 chips will run on AM2 boards. :lol:  [/quote
Quote:
not for 3 yrs as someone posted,the d series is highly competitive.the 805 price performance ratio is insane compared to any amd.
and am3 in an am2 is limiting,so unless the performance boost compares to intel its a lost cause.

Pentium D just came out this year for your information, and it got spanked by X2 and FX. The 805 is a good value, if you dont consider $200 for a watercool kit. At that cost you could just buy a real cpu. How AM3 compares is yet to be seen.
that still cuts the ownage to 2.5 yrs.and the 805 oc's on air really well,with water to 4ghz,and other d chips still hold amd back from where they were.
point is that intel narrowed the field sooner than later,and then stomped amd.within 3yrs,sept. would make 3 yrs.

point still is that it is about time that intel has gotten their act together, and i give them props for it. i just hope that this give AMD more of an incentive to kick their R&D into high gear (as well as drop current prices), both of which will benifit the consumer.
July 19, 2006 10:34:30 PM

Listen noob you've been here for three days, don't come here and generalise me and my posts. :roll:
July 19, 2006 10:49:20 PM

oh im sorry did what i say hurt your pride in any way? if so, im so sorry oh great one. yeah right...

two things, just cuz i havent been around as long as you doesnt make what i say any less valid. you could be a on a forum for 5 years and never say anything intelligent. And two, unless you have a problem with my point, just get over it.
July 19, 2006 10:52:40 PM

:wink: sorry about that.
July 19, 2006 10:54:06 PM

Hmm so you have multiple accounts, how sad. If you thought you hurt my pride you really need to get over yourself.

Quote:
two things, just cuz i havent been around as long as you doesnt make what i say any less valid.

Yes it does, you couldn't have read all my posts during those three days.
July 19, 2006 11:00:48 PM

sorry, verndewd, but he is bothering me now...

Action_Man, just cuz you have a lot of posts does not make you smart. im sure that a lot of people have disagreed with you in the years you have been around. and no i dont think i hurt your retarded pride, which is more like arrogance anyway.

and are you on crack or something? ive been around for almost 7 months, which is plenty of time to read your recent posts. so shut up if you dont have anything productive to say.
July 19, 2006 11:04:27 PM

Then why are you fighting the other noobs war? Noob STFU I've seen nothing useful from you. I've posted more useful stuff then you'd ever post in ten lifetimes. STFU and get over yourself.
July 19, 2006 11:09:28 PM

Quote:
Then why are you fighting the other noobs war? Noob STFU I've seen nothing useful from you. I've posted more useful stuff then you'd ever post in ten lifetimes. STFU and get over yourself.

im going to say it again just for emphasis. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING PRODUCTIVE TO SAY, SHUT UP. you are currently making in ass of yourself and im enjoying pointing it out, but that is not the point of this forum.
July 19, 2006 11:12:35 PM

You're the one making an ass of yourself you stupid noob.

Lets look at your very productive post.

Quote:
point still is that it is about time that intel has gotten their act together, and i give them props for it. i just hope that this give AMD more of an incentive to kick their R&D into high gear (as well as drop current prices), both of which will benifit the consumer.

Woh, noone has ever said that before. Thats more cliched then sports interviews.

STFU noob.
July 19, 2006 11:14:29 PM

Quote:
and are you on crack or something? ive been around for almost 7 months, which is plenty of time to read your recent posts. so shut up if you dont have anything productive to say.

That's not right. You shouldn't go and insult people, even if they provoke you. Doing that, you prove that you're no better than those people insulting you.

And, by the way, Action_Man hast been in the forums for almost 3 years. I guess 7 months isn't enough to get to "know" him. My opinion. :wink:
July 19, 2006 11:17:10 PM

Quote:
I guess 7 months isn't enough to get to "know" him. My opinion.

I doubt he has read even 10% of my posts since hes been here, thats the issue.
July 19, 2006 11:20:04 PM

what is with you? are you like 5? do you not understand that by productive posts im referring to this stupid argument we are having now that has nothing to do with the thread topic? and the constant noob calling doesnt do much for your maturity level either.

okay okay it may not have been a remarkable post ill give you that but you dont see me name calling everyone else that has a cliche post. by starting this whole argument about something so small you have made an ass of yourself.

you know, this just isnt worth my time. it really is like arguing with a 5 year old. grow up.
July 19, 2006 11:24:36 PM

Quote:
do you not understand that by productive posts im referring to this stupid argument we are having now that has nothing to do with the thread topic?

Do you not understand that you started it and are continuing to carry on?

Quote:
okay okay it may not have been a remarkable post ill give you that but you dont see me name calling everyone else that has a cliche post.

And you don't see that from me either.

Quote:
you know, this just isnt worth my time. it really is like arguing with a 5 year old. grow up.

The irony.

Don't rock up on your high horse and label people.
July 19, 2006 11:28:01 PM

Quote:
Listen noob you've been here for three days, don't come here and generalise me and my posts. :roll:

You started it.
and this is an example of name calling on what you labeled as a chiche post.
Now you are ignorant too. :wink:
!