biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ok here is probally a stupid question considering it hasn't been released but what do you think are the odds of good stability and reliability with the new Core2Duo and its supporting motherboards will be. I am possibly looking to upgrade my computer in the next few months budget willing that is. I already have a thread posted to that effect. Now with the new Core2Duo's coming out and being considerably faster than price equivilient AMD's I am considering moving back to Intel. The pc I have now is about 6 or so years old and runs fine, just looking for a little better performance, plus I might have the money avaliable. Im looking to spend around 600ish on just a mobo, cpu, mem and most likely a new vid card. I don't have a preferance either way, although I do have an AMD processor now. Im looking for something that I wont have to worry about for 4 or 5 years (not concerned about future perfoemance i.e. new faster stuff coming out.) I am wondering if I move to the new Core2Duo as oppoesed to getting a new AMD cpu and board do you think I will get good reliability in the long run i.e. bios part failures etc. with the exsiting AMD's stuff or the soon to be released Intel stuff. I know its kind of a vague hard to answer question with out existing hardware to go off of but any info would be apreciated.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
It's not a stupid question, but it is one that cannot really be answered, as any answer would only be speculation. It would be in your, and I think everyone, to just wait a few months and see how the platform is doing, and what boards are rising to the top. Unless one actually needs a new machine right now because their old one died, I think it's best to just sit tight for a bit. Prices will likely come down a bit as well on boards as time goes by.

Ford_Prefect

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Given that the motherboards that support Core 2 all have Intel chipsets I'd be very surprised if there are any stability/reliability issues (the most stable PC I've ever had was a 2GHz P4 on an Intel motherboard - i965 chipset?). This may happen with Nforce 590 but only time will tell.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Must have been the 865 chipset, the 865PE was a really, REALLY good chip. The G was like the bastard child of the 865 family . . . anyway, Northwood with an 865 is like an uber-stable rig. It's a beautiful thing.

Must have been the 865 chipset, the 865PE was a really, REALLY good chip. The G was like the bastard child of the 865 family . . . anyway, Northwood with an 865 is like an uber-stable rig. It's a beautiful thing.

I must say I totally agree. My boards uses the 865PE chipset.... I rarely ever have this thing crash on me... and when it does, it's usually something I did.