Help! CPU running 100+degC!!!

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I have a Compaq SR1151NX with a PTGD1-LA motherboard.

I bought a new Pentium D 805 dual-core processor to upgrade my old processor that came with the computer. Also, to try to overclock it eventually...I am sure that will be a different post :D

I have updated my BIOS (AMI v3.28) to accept the newer dual-core processors, and everthing was working fine with the new BIOS and old processor.

I took the motherboard out of the case and fitted my new cpu and HSF. Put the MB back into the case and then it wouldn't even POST. No beeping...just the case fans and HSF powered on. The monitor read "NO SIGNAL". To test that it was a cpu problem I replaced my new cpu and put back in my old stock cpu w/HSF and turned on the computer. The HSF came on full force and the comp will eventually shut itself down, I assume because of the high temp of the cpu. It will boot to Windows (XP Home SP2) with the old cpu...but not for very long. My temps read 102degC 215degF.

Two part problem - Why didn't my new processor work and what is wrong with my old processor? Is this a MB issue?

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I'll assume you mean your CPU reads 102C/215F. If this is the case you probably haven't installed your heat sink properly and your CPU is fried. Also did you properly switch thermal paste by removing all of the old paste/pad off the heat sink and CPU then reapplying a fresh coat? When applying new paste use a very small amount as too much can hinder heat transfer. That 805 chip should not be any hotter than 70C under full load.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Use thermal paste like Artic Sivler 5 and secure the HSF cooler properly making sure it has flat even contact. 102c degrees is bad thing for the cpu and that cpu might be fried or damage.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
By saying it is damaged...are you saying that my temps will not improve even if the HSF is seated properly.

Any ideas why the new cpu wont work at all?

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
As far as i remeber intel cpus throttle down when they heat up to make sure the chip isn't damaged... so hopefully nothing happened to your old chip.

the heatsink usually comes with a pre applied thermal paste, (i'm guessing you put on the NEW heatsink?)
so my bet would be on a DOA cpu.

Although HP, as great as they are :roll: don't mention anything about what kind of newer cpus this bios now supports. So it could be that too.

Why don't you give them a call first, and ask if your processor is supported by the new bios.

In the meantime get yourself some thermal paste ASAP!

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
By saying it is damaged...are you saying that my temps will not improve even if the HSF is seated properly.

Any ideas why the new cpu wont work at all?

By damaged, I mean non-operational or unstable. I suggest RMAing it if you can because there is a good chance that it was damaged if it reached the temps you say it did. If this is the first time you've installed/replaced a heat sink, I suggest searching the forums for good installation practices. Google also offers some good sites that shows some good methods. As others have recommended Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal paste out. Also you temps may improve if the heatsink is installed properly, but if your CPU is damaged/destroyed then it will serve no purpose. That's why you should try to RMA that CPU if you can. Just do your homework and be sure to do it properly next time as you may only have one chance to get it right.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

I bought a new Pentium D 805 dual-core processor to upgrade my old processor that came with the computer. Also, to try to overclock it eventually...I am sure that will be a different post :D

I have updated my BIOS (AMI v3.28) to accept the newer dual-core processors, and everthing was working fine with the new BIOS and old processor.

I took the motherboard out of the case and fitted my new cpu and HSF. Put the MB back into the case and then it wouldn't even POST. No beeping...just the case fans and HSF powered on. The monitor read "NO SIGNAL". To test that it was a cpu problem I replaced my new cpu and put back in my old stock cpu w/HSF and turned on the computer. The HSF came on full force and the comp will eventually shut itself down, I assume because of the high temp of the cpu. It will boot to Windows (XP Home SP2) with the old cpu...but not for very long. My temps read 102degC 215degF.

Two part problem - Why didn't my new processor work and what is wrong with my old processor? Is this a MB issue?

I could be wrong, but as far as I was aware, the 915 chipset doesn't support the D805's.

Northbridge Intel i915P graphics controller hub (GMCH) this is from the link about your PC.

None of the ASUS seem to. Asrock, normally know for the very wide range of cpu support, none of it's 915 chipset board support the D805 either.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006

Where in the bios update description does it say Dual Core support. All it says is newer cpu's

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
RMA it for replacement damage or not just to be on the safe side. Like I said it might be damage by heat and not running at all.

It's not damaged, it just doesn't run in a 915 motherboard

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

What software are you using to monitor CPU temp?

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Ok mate have the same board.

NEWS FLASH!! IT DOESNT TAKE DUAL CORE 800/900 CPUS

IT DOES NOT ACCEPT PENTIUM 6xx CPUS

ALL IT ACCEPTS IS THE 5xx SERIES

I also suggest if you dont know how to change thermal paste and install a heat sink you dont try it because it aint gonna be good for you

Oh yeah and another thing. Do you think Compaq are going to allow you to have an overclocking option in the bios?? If you do your wrong. Their ASUS board is very limited. You cant even change the time its so limited. My recommendation is to get a new board. If you do this though your presario recovery wont work as it isnt a compaq board and erm you may have problems with your fans due to their custom connectors

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005

You could put a bigger quote you know!! How about finding all his old posts and pasting them in to. You could ask if he has any friends on THG and quote them too!

What is wrong with you did your mama not teach you how to quote! Get a hold of yourself man!

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Well your first problem is that the 915 doesn't support dual-core. Probably ASRock figured a way around it and someone will post a shitty-chipset board with Conroe support or something, but that's beside the point. Your mobo doesn't support the CPU in the first place, which is your main problem. Get a 945P or G mobo.

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
I recommend a ECS Elite Group R4110L/800-M2

This fits in that case as i have seen it in one lol

It allows up to 1066fsb

Allows up to 800mhz memory bus

Has sata II

And many other features

Costs less than 80$

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Motherboard specifications table
Part / Feature Specification / Support
Motherboard description Motherboard: ASUS PTGD1-LA

HP/Compaq name: Puffer-UL8E
CPU/Processor Socket LGA775

Supports Intel Pentium 4 processor up to 3.6 GHz

Supports Intel Pentium 4 HT processors
Front-side bus (FSB) 800 MHz
Chipset Northbridge Intel i915P graphics controller hub (GMCH

Southbridge Intel ICH6
BIOS features 4Mb FWH EEPROM

HP BIOS with enhanced ACPI, PnP, DMI, Green features
Form factor Micro-ATX form factor

9.6 x 9.6 inches (24.5 x 24.5 cm)
Memory Four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets

Supports PC3200 (400 MHz) /PC2700 (333 MHz) / PC2100 (266 MHz) DDR DIMM type

Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory module is 1 GB

Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB
Expansion slots One PCI Express x16 graphics PEG slot

Three PCI slots

One PCI expansion slot (select models only)

No AGP slot
Video graphics Integrated
Serial ATA Two serial ATA (SATA) connectors, each supporting two ports

Hot swap function
Onboard audio Realtek ALC880 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Onboard LAN Realtek RTL8101L LAN PHY (Physical Layer Protocol)

10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller
Back panel I/O One parallel port (ECP, EPP)

One video (VGA) port

One PS/2 keyboard

One PS/2 mouse port

One RJ-45 Fast Ethernet LAN port

One IEEE 1394 port

Two USB connectors supporting up to four USB 2.0 ports with hot-plug function

Six audio ports support up to 8 audio channels:
Side speaker out
Rear speaker out
Center/subwoofer
Line in
Line out
Microphone

Front panel I/0 Two USB connectors supporting four additional USB 2.0 ports on the front panel

Front panel microphone input connector

Front panel headphone output connector

Front panel IEEE 1394 connector supporting one 1394 port
Other onboard connectors Front panel power and LED connectors

ATX +12 volt power connector

CPU fan connector

System fan connector

Jumper to clear CMOS

Optical drive audio connector

Auxiliary audio connectors

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I wrongly assumed that my MB could handle the dual-core and I had forgotten about the overclocking abilities of store bought comps...

Thanks for helping out...looks like I'm getting a new MB.

I recommend a ECS Elite Group R4110L/800-M2
BTW, I can't find this MB

BIOS