I have to pick a vid card from this list

matthias333

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Due to a video card I returned to www.magicmicro.com, I can spend $300 on a new video card from their site. If you go under video cards and click pci-express you can see the list of ATI and geForce cards. (I'd copy the link but it's an .asp)

I have an abit ax8 motherboard which has the VIA k8t890 chipset, 939 pin amd athlon 3500+ 64 bit, running windows xp pro 64-bit, 600w powersupply with 37a on the 12v rail. My case is pretty cool, and I'd be willing to OC with rivatuner, but I don't plan on changing anything with the hardware more than arctic silver thermal paste. Please help me pick one for under $300, I really don't know which will perform the best for gaming.

Thanks so much for anyone with positive feedback,
Matthias

matthias333

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
The thing is, I got a geforce 6600gt from them before. It was assembled by some no-name company called axle in hong kong. I think it was a faulty card because of that company. If I were to get the x850 pro, I think it is assembled directly by ATI(correct me if i'm wrong). If I am wrong, and there's just as much chance the ATI cards will be assembled by a no-name, what are the advantages of going with the 7900gt? Is it really worth an extra $60 over the x850 pro?

Thanks for all the help guys

p.s. I only have one PCI-express x16 slot on my card, so I think that rules out any of the dual cards (sorry I didn't mention it in my specs.) Plus, I like to troubleshoot as little as possible, and I'm sure two cards would be a bit more technical then I'd like to learn about.

pauldh

Illustrious
The thing is, I got a geforce 6600gt from them before. It was assembled by some no-name company called axle in hong kong. I think it was a faulty card because of that company. If I were to get the x850 pro, I think it is assembled directly by ATI(correct me if i'm wrong). If I am wrong, and there's just as much chance the ATI cards will be assembled by a no-name, what are the advantages of going with the 7900gt? Is it really worth an extra $60 over the x850 pro?
All of NV's cards are made by someone else. ATI does sell cards themselves which are refered to as BBA (Built By ATI), but as it turns out a different company actually builds the cards for ATI. ATI does warranty the cards themselves though.

As far as the 7900GT, it not only offers Sm3.0 over SM2.0, it is a way more powerful card. YES for gaming, the 7900GT is easily worth that extra amount over the X850 pro. The X850 pro is not worth what they are asking and I was shocked to see it repeatedly recommended. I guess it is the best sub $300 card on that site, but it should have been much cheaper. Matter of fact, on that list, only the 7900GT and 7600GS stood out to me as being priced worth buying.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
All of NV's cards are made by someone else. ATI does sell cards themselves which are refered to as BBA (Built By ATI), but as it turns out a different company actually builds the cards for ATI. ATI does warranty the cards themselves though.

As far as the 7900GT, it not only offers Sm3.0 over SM2.0, it is a way more powerful card. YES for gaming, the 7900GT is easily worth that extra amount over the X850 pro. The X850 pro is not worth what they are asking and I was shocked to see it repeatedly recommended. I guess it is the best sub $300 card on that site, but it should have been much cheaper. Matter of fact, on that list, only the 7900GT and 7600GS stood out to me as being priced worth buying.

True.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I would definitely go with the 7900GT for another $50. I don't like how they don't list the maker of the actual card, just information on the gpu from NVidia, makes me think something shady is going on.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Thanks for all the help guys

p.s. I only have one PCI-express x16 slot on my card, so I think that rules out any of the dual cards (sorry I didn't mention it in my specs.) Plus, I like to troubleshoot as little as possible, and I'm sure two cards would be a bit more technical then I'd like to learn about.

I'm too lazy to look back but i'm pretty sure that dual card i said about, think 7600gs only takes one slot, like the 7950

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You should try to get your money back and try Newegg or ZipZoomFly? 7900GTs can easily be had for less than $300 these days.

However, if that's the only place you can buy from then you should front the extra $50.00 and go for the 7900GT. None of the other cards listed are worth what they're asking. $350.00 for a 7900GT is asking a lot, but it's more in line than the rest of the cards listed. There's also a 6800GT for $309.00 but your're so close to the 7900GT's $349, it just isn't worth considering the 6800GT as well.

I'm too lazy to look back but i'm pretty sure that dual card i said about, think 7600gs only takes one slot, like the 7950
To my knowledge there isn't a dual 7600GS similiar to the 7950 and if there is, it isn't listed on that site. They had a "Dual Head" 7600GS. They were referring to the dual DVI outputs on the card which, IMO, isn't a selling point these days since most new cards come with this.

They did have 2 7600GS available to use in SLI, which does require a SLI capable board. Dual 7600GSs is not worth $300.00.

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
it looks shadey to me guys, they don't even list a parts number and that picture don't even look like a 7900gt...

anyway you can get a refund or stop payment? i think you might be geting ripped.

pauldh

Illustrious
Whoa, I goofed big time. I didn't see it before, but they (now) have a X800 pro for $110 cheaper than the X850 pro. While my vote still is the 7900GT, the X800 pro is a way better bang for the buck than the X850 pro so it earns my #2 recommendation. Of course, getting you money back and ordering a $230 7900GT or X1800XT from newegg would be a way better route to go if possible.

matthias333

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the x800 pro, so that I can take the $100 or $170 i'll save by not getting the x850 pro or the 7900gt, and put that money towards a decked out laptop I plan on getting this winter.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Are you saying you've gotten a refund and not a store credit?

If you've been refunded your money than why are you still wasting your time with this company? There are much better deals available on the web.

You could spend less elsewhere on a 7600GT that would outclass an X800Pro.

TRENDING THREADS