Sign in with
Your question

Wiring the Case

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2006 4:59:34 AM

I am a first time builder that would appreciate any and all tips about wiring my Liam Li PC-61 case. The directions are not that clear to me. So far the only thing that I did was to bolt in the power supply and install the motherboard grill. Do I plug the fan cables into the motherboard or directly into the power supply? I never thought of this before, but does this case have a speaker?

Thanks in advance

More about : wiring case

July 19, 2006 6:11:54 AM

dont think the case has a speaker. the mobo maunal should have instructions on how to place the little wires onto ur to mobo to make the front USB ports work.

the fans should connect to the mobo if possible. 3 pin connector. BUT the connector needs to have the Red, back, and yellow cables or it wont be powered. like one of my fans required a 4 pin molex for power and has a 3 pin for RPM control.
July 19, 2006 9:29:20 AM

If there is no speaker in the case, how will I be able to hear the diaganostic beeps if needed? Also, is there a way that I can hook up a speaker?

Thanks
Related resources
July 19, 2006 11:11:38 AM

There is a little piezoelectric device in that case that sits under the hard drive cage. Wires are all there. Instructions aren't included with that, or any other case. They're in your Motherboard manual. Note also that polarity usually isn't very well documented so plan on reversing your power and HD plugs to get the lights to illuminate when they should.
July 19, 2006 11:30:51 AM

Lian Li documentation is terrible - I had to wing it with my PC-60 plus II.
July 19, 2006 11:59:18 AM

If this is your first build I suggest you read your motherboard manual cover to cover, it should explain how to connect everything to your motherboard.

Most of the time will need to plug your heatsink fan into the motherboard or the system will sense 0 RPMS and stop.

Other than that plug them in any way you want.

Usually the choice is make for you by the type of power connector the fan has.

Some simple rules

1) Don't skip the standoffs and screw the motherboard directly to the case. You will short all the pins on the back of the motherboard.

I know someone who returned a motherboard to a local store getting only half his money back before he realized his mistake.

2) Don't touch any jumpers unless you know exactly what it is for and why your are changing it. You know you are dealing with a pro when they tell you they set just the jumpers on their SATA HD to Master. (SATA drives don't have master/slave jumper settings, they just copied the settings from the drive it was replacing)

3) Don't plug anything in just because it looks like it will fit.

I had someone plug a flopply powerconnector into thier soundcard. Some people will plug a spare powerconnector into anything handy because they thing a dangling wire means somethings come lose.

4) Make sure everything is snuggly connected.
PCI cards and memory modules should be nice and level, a slight angle will short two of the pins.

4b) If it doesn't fit, don't automatically push harder to make it fit.

I just fixed a PC where someone who added 128 MB to thier system by shoving it backwards. The pins were actually on the side away from the motherboard! That was too years ago and he never noticed that the system still only had 32 MB of memory. I know he put the memory in himself because he bragged about it.

Also there are people who will just push harder if a capacitor on the motherboard was blocking a oversized heatsink or a component on their extra long video card.

5) Don't send be in a rush to send a part back as defective.

I online friend built a PC and couldn't both memory modules recognized. I tole him to posted to Corsairs Forum, which he did, but he skipped all the tests I told him to run and sent back the motherboard for a replacement. Then he sent back the memory for a replacement. Finally gets online and tells me he decided the Corsair memory doesn't work on with his motherboard. I look up his post and Corsair's RAM guy told him a couple hours after he posted that he had bought ECC memory for a board that only took non-ECC.

Weird, because either module would still work in the first slot when the manual says ECC shouldn't work at all.

5b) If someone suggests you test a part don't skip the test and return the part. Twice I had people send back memory module becasue I told them to try runing memtest86 to verify they were working correctly, without running the test.

Actually none of this is probably usefull to you. But it might make you feel less stupid if you make a mistake.

If you don't know something ask or look it up, don't guess. And if you run into problems it usually a simple mistake rather than a defective part or some perviously unknown incompatibility between parts.
July 19, 2006 1:05:38 PM

Thanks for your kind reply.
This may be a stupid question, but as a first timer, I feel I am entititled to a few. I just located the nine holes on the case where the motherboard needs to be bolted to. One hole on the motherboard is oval shaped. I hope this is one of the holes that the bolt should go through.
Asus M2N-E

Since I have a case with a removable motherboar tray, would it be better to mount the motherboard before installing the components?
Since I don't have a speaker in my case, how would I hear the beeps if troubleshooting becomes necessary?
July 19, 2006 1:12:54 PM

Quote:

Since I don't have a speaker in my case, how would I hear the beeps if troubleshooting becomes necessary?

When you start connecting your stuff, you will see where to connet your case sound. It is there.
July 19, 2006 1:43:29 PM

It might be a good idea to plug in some of the more difficult things like if there's USB, firewire, etc to the front of the case. It can be difficult to hit the right pins on those. Also it might be easier to mount the processor since those can be tricky the first time you do it. Everything else, fans, pci cards, I would mount inside because it'll be easier to visualize your layout and route all your cables in a nice way.
July 19, 2006 3:06:21 PM

Quote:
This may be a stupid question, but as a first timer, I feel I am entititled to a few. I just located the nine holes on the case where the motherboard needs to be bolted to. One hole on the motherboard is oval shaped. I hope this is one of the holes that the bolt should go through.
Asus M2N-E

Since I have a case with a removable motherboar tray, would it be better to mount the motherboard before installing the components?

...no port 80 thingy/LED display which shows errors.

ok, here u go

http://www.biosman.com/port80.htm
!