does hold music interfere with internet traffic

When I'm on hold the "musak" keeps the line busy and
surfing the internet bogs down. Am I right that it
is the Musak or is it the phone call all by itself?

- RM

In article <weydnZ2dnZ08j_7WnZ2dndtImN6dnZ2dRVn-0J2dnZ0@comcast.com> Rick
Merrill <rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes:

> When I'm on hold the "musak" keeps the line busy and
> surfing the internet bogs down. Am I right that it
> is the Musak or is it the phone call all by itself?

It's the hold music.
VOIP bandwidth is dynamic. When there is no voice (or sound) passing over
the "connection" then the bandwidth that had been carrying the voice
(Muzak) information is available to carry other information (i.e., data).
In systems designed to give voice traffic priority (aka QOS meaning
Quality Of Service such as 802.1p/q) enough VOIP traffic can bring
"surfing" literally to a standstill. However, I know of no such VOIP
system that supports QOS across the public Internet, so worst case the
VOIP traffic will simply be competing for the same pool of bandwidth that
your surfing is competing for. That of course means than not only can
"Muzak" (or an actual conversation) slow down surfing, but surfing can
also destroy the quality of the call, making it unintelligible gibberish.

Depending on the codec the most bandwidth your IP phone should be
stealing is 64kbit/sec downstream and very little much else upstream.
I'm assuming you're either on a dialup or maybe ISDN or a really really
really long loop dsl :)

Also depending on your voice product (you didn't list it) unless you
have it bundled with say your cable modem service, etc there is no GOS
for QOS for the "last mile". And many VOIP providers that have "voip
in a box" that you buy at Best Buy, etc are traversing the public
internet (as Mitel Lurker mentioned) and as such all traffic is
best-effort.

You need more bandwidth, if you can get it. I can make two
simultaneous voip calls and do whatever I want with my Comcast internet
acct. and I have never had any problems. Thats 6mbit/sec down and
2mbit/sec up (standard Comcast BW for most areas).

Voice-Over-IP doesn't imply any specific form of Internet connection.
You could have a 300 baud modem and be using VOIP :) (well, try to at
least).

Sounds like your voice traffic may be actually getting *less* priority
than your data traffic- i've seen providers do this, especially ones
that are setting up QOS on their network for a voip migration and want
to start encouraging people they shouldn't be using outside providers
:)

Check out one of those online speed testers and report back with your
results.

Also, if you're nailing your connection to the wall- e.g. P2P
applications or using download accelerators/managers then what you
*can* do if you want is create priority for specific traffic on your
machine itself...I think Windows has a way of doing it- on Unix there
are a hundred ways.

fotoobscura wrote:
> Depending on the codec the most bandwidth your IP phone should be
> stealing is 64kbit/sec downstream and very little much else upstream.
> I'm assuming you're either on a dialup or maybe ISDN or a really really
> really long loop dsl :)

Nope, this is "..voice-over-ip": I have broadband, or was that a smiley?

> Also depending on your voice product (you didn't list it) unless you
> have it bundled with say your cable modem service, etc there is no GOS
> for QOS for the "last mile". And many VOIP providers that have "voip
> in a box" that you buy at Best Buy, etc are traversing the public
> internet (as Mitel Lurker mentioned) and as such all traffic is
> best-effort.
>
> You need more bandwidth, if you can get it. I can make two
> simultaneous voip calls and do whatever I want with my Comcast internet
> acct. and I have never had any problems. Thats 6mbit/sec down and
> 2mbit/sec up (standard Comcast BW for most areas).

When I place two simultaneous calls, download speed slows.