Star Citizen Crowdfunding Earned Over $6 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Now i can tell Volition, "look, we need FreeSpace 3". Seriously, Valve and Volition should combine and work on their respective "threes".

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Amen to Freespace 3. As long as they can make it a worthy successor to what is considered one of the Best space combat games ever Freespace 2.

But either way Star citizen / Squadron 42 will be the first decent space sim in a long long time. I am glad i pledged

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
ALL HAIL THE LAMP! (You had to be in the 24 hour live stream to understand it, they created a meme with a lamp.)

I pledged and to those who still want to you are more than welcome to do so, but you will won't get some of the good stuff that the early adopters got as they are currently keeping the pledging open.

I guess toms forgot to put that in the article.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kitsunestarwind[/nom]Amen to Freespace 3. As long as they can make it a worthy successor to what is considered one of the Best space combat games ever Freespace 2.But either way Star citizen / Squadron 42 will be the first decent space sim in a long long time. I am glad i pledged[/citation]
True on both. Probably MUST be the original Volition team working on it, i'm not sure the same people who made Saint's Row the Third can quite pull of what FS3 has to be...

But i guess SC must suffice till then.

[citation][nom]chronium[/nom]I would love a HD remake of Freespace 1 and 2 in order to help fund 3.[/citation]
Seriously! I wish someone would merge the SCP community into this official remake...DX11 and all...probably use Unreal Engine 4 or CryEngine 3...i would gladly pay...

I had created this poll almost exactly a year ago, though i closed it after a few months (never really publicized it much either, was just a quiet thing), check it out if you want...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/114909-13-what-freespace-remastered

G

Forget kickstarter. wmdportal.com will send you back REAL money when the game sells! Yeah man, REAL REVENUE SHARING! Not just the game but actual money you can do something with! They raised about USD $2.5million from the players in one year. Funding is closed/complete so you'll have to wait for the next boat. I'm in for almost 10grand myself. Some guys are in for more but the funding starts at as little as 15 bucks.

G

oh by the way, at wmdportal.com we get to test out weekly builds. I've been racing the dev builds since Oct2011. Also we get to chat with the developers and help shape the game.

Kickstarter is weak sauce honestly.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Finally a cutting edge game that will be designed EXPLICITLY for PC's

...and here's to the hope that this project will inspire other titles designed explicitly for PC's
...and here's to the hope that a takeoff in PC-specific game will finally give hardware manufacturers to push the performance envelope more than they have been

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Anaxamenes[/nom]Yay, and no EA or Activision Blizzard in sight! T[/citation]
quite possibly THE REASON this game has a chance to be great rather than a moneygrab ala EA/Blizzard

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I would have contributed if they had confirmed Linux support at least as a stretch goal. There's been plenty of other successful Kickstarter campaigns that have (like Project Eternity, Distance, Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption).

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I had 250 dollars pledge and my ship in line when I found myself needing that money... I had to pull my pledge just before it ended, and now I'm heartbroken. :(

Hoofz

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
It was one great experience to be a part of the pledge process, and the 24 hour countdown stream. We will never forget the entertainment provided by Boris and Wingman... Long live the Space Lamp!

[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]Made my pledge, wish I pledged more. On a side note, why didn't they take down my address for the physical item?[/citation]

Read the latest update. Address information will be requested shortly. I think they had their hands full just keeping the website online.

I would have contributed if they had confirmed Linux support at least as a stretch goal. There's been plenty of other successful Kickstarter campaigns that have
Since they are using CryTech's CryEngine3 for the SC game engine a Linux version was NEVER going to be on the cards because CryEngine3 is not available for Linux. The game was already under development BEFORE the crowd-funding drive started, so they would have had to abandon all the work that they had done to date and switched to a game engine that is available under Linux (none of which have capabilities even remotely in the league of CryEngine3). CryTech have no plans of porting CryEngine to Linux, so no amount of pledged money would have made a Linux version of SC possible.

robnic

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Star Citizen looks great!!! I pledged!!!

However, note that there are other awesome crowd-funded projects out there that really need your support!

Sui Generis is an awesome RPG in early stages of development that has some incredibly innovative tech, notably the physics, and also the graphics. The game promises to be the next big thing in PC RPGs, favouring realism and immersion rather than shallow casual gaming. This project needs to raise £150,000 on Kickstarter in order to go ahead. So far, it's raised £77,000, with just 6 days to go.

If you have any passion for PCs and/or RPGs, please have a look:
http://www.baremettle.com/sg/media/

If you like what you see, please consider pledging on Kickstarter (which basically involves promising to pay for the game now if it's funded, and receiving the game when it's finished in 18 months time):
http://www.kickstarter.com/project [...] ui-generis

Projects such as this desperately need your help. It is a good cause, allowing indie developers to produce fantastic boundary-pushing games. Importantly, by cutting out the middle man (i.e. the producers), the gamers who are willing to pay for the game up front are the boss, rather than some big corporation taking a cut of the money for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.