Abit AW8D
Corsair XMS 2 x 1gb DDR2800 w/EPP
Sapphire X1800XT 256 w/ KuFormula VF1 Plus
74gb Raptor
250gb WD SATA3.0 16mb
320gb Seagate 16mb
Mushkin 650w PSU
Thermaltake Kandalf w/ 25cm sidepanel fan

Alright here's the question... Can anyone tell me what they forsee as far as overclocking potential for this system? the reason i purchased the 805 was for its overclocking potential as a holdover for a few months till the Conroe gets established.

I have read a number of reviews and forums but none have had close enough system specs for me to see what this system will do.

If you would please relate your predictions to heat, noise, overclocking potential, and memory performance. or any compatibility issues i screwed up on.

Thanks for your help in advance. Id just like to know what to expect before the switch is flipped :D :D

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You won't really know until you try... but I expect that you'll get to at least 3.6 on air cooling. Only 4 things should affect your overclocking: Motherboard, Processor, Ram and Power Supply.

Each processor is slightly different though and some will OC better than others.

Just do it and make sure you can run Prime95 on both cores for at least 4 hours before you declare it stable. Go up in small increments, don't shoot for 3.6 right away. Don't play with your voltages until you reach a bottleneck that you want to get past.

I'd say take it as far as you can stable then drop it .1 or .2 ghz just for safety.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I would be expecting at least 3.8GHz.

From reports, the only thing that may stop you going to 4GHz may be the Zalman Cooler.

I am having no trouble with mine @ 3.8GHz on air cool.

Don't know the motherboard, but as long as it has voltage and FSB adjustment for both the CPU and RAM, I can't see any problem.

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
thx, i actually just booted it up and i think im going to have a thermal issue... at idle the Zalman is only keeping the 805 idle at 45C and the lowest which was 40C but only for a few seconds. Under minimal stress, not even loading the cores with Prime95 it reaches 60C.... Ive got AS5 on it and i know its been applied correctly so that leaves me to believe the Zalman just isnt up to the task....

the motherboard is simply amazing though. the features on it are great and just toying with it for a few min showed me that its very flexible with its options.

with those numbers should i get a new cooler? or should i let it break in for a bit and attempt an overclock? id really love to reach the 3.6 to 3.8 range.
Thx.

-tc

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
those are idle and medium load temps with a Zalman cns7000b cooler. i havent attempted a full load test for fear of it running to hot

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It might be hot in your case or your room... Try adding more case fans if you can.

LOL just noticed your case, does that 25cm fan really help at all? Which way is your cpu fan blowing? Down or up?

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It might be hot in your case or your room... Try adding more case fans if you can.

i dont think i need to do that, 12cm rear exaust, 12cm front intake, 8cm top exaust, 8cm rear exaust(above 12cm rear), and the mammoth 25cm side intake 8O 8O

LOL just noticed your case, does that 25cm fan really help at all? Which way is your cpu fan blowing? Down or up?

its really kinda hard to say Way (rhyme :lol: ) this is a rebuild from a previous system that had a different mobo and no 25cm side fan. that system had a A8N SLI and the system idle'd at 34-35C this system with the AW8D and 25cm fan idles at 28-30C. i think it makes a huge difference though, it covers almost every component touching the motherboard. there is NO stagnant air inside this case, not even at the bottom anymore.

whats your fsb currently set at?

im at work and cant remember off hand what cpu-z said, but the cpu was running at 2.713 @ 1.33-1.34v if i remember right. i dont know what that equates to for an fsb.

im wondering if i should get a ninja or a 9500 cause this damn thing is a furnace. especially with my x1800xt and its VF1 not working right, that idles at 84C!!!!! gotta rethink that setup a bit. i was gone from 4 to 9:30 last night and had the comp running to try and break in the AS5, came back and my room was a sauna!!

thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, but please keep the advice coming i need every bit of it. if you need anymore info let me know

oh yea, the ambient temp was around 70-75 F in our airconditioned basement.

mcgregja

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Ok, those temps aren't attrocious to start with, but you should be doing a bit better than that with your current air setup. I run mine under a TT Big Typhoon in a TT Armor (Steel) with stock fans (120mm fr intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 80mm rear exhaust). I usually pull 38 idle and 44 load @ 3.33. This is at 1.28 vcore. If you plan on pushing it around 3.6-3.8, you will need to experiment and maybe make some changes.

The biggest temp changes usually came with a bump in the vcore. I would start by finding this bottleneck as was already suggested. You'll probably be able to push the fsb to ~165 (3.33ghz) without touching voltage (maybe higher for you at 1.33?). After you find it, see what those temps look like and decide from there if you need better cooling.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it to push it much farther than 3.6. After this point, the slightest increases will yield even greater heat and power problems for you.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of system temps are you getting?

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I usually pull 38 idle and 44 load @ 3.33. This is at 1.28 vcore. If you plan on pushing it around 3.6-3.8, you will need to experiment and maybe make some changes.

should i alter my vcore to a little lower to get lower temps? especially since you are getting 3.33 @ 1.28?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of system temps are you getting?

at the initial startup its around 30C, but after sitting in that furnace for a while they reach 40C.

also my idle for my cpu was a little higher than i had remembered, its varrying from 49-52C. most likely some of that is coming from the vid card, but its still quite a bit higher than i had hoped or expected at stock speeds

-tc

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
You don't happen to have the intel stock cooler still do you? I would try it again to see if it makes a difference.

mcgregja

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Just got home and starting tinkering with my own...

fsb 701 (3.5ghz) @ 1.26 vcore
mem 701 @ 4-4-4-12 (PQI Turbo 2 X 1g 667 dual)
idle 33!
load 41!

i'm trying to get the screens up, but I was completely surprised. I set the vcore in the BIOS to 1.33, but cpuz is reading 1.26? I gonna run a memtest, and some benchmarks and then maybe push it a little more.

I don't think you gain much by putting the stock cooler back on. Its functions with the mobo are interrupted when overclocking, seriously reducing it capacity to cool the chip correctly.

If your cpu is idleing at 49 at stock with that cooler, I think something is off.

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Just got home and starting tinkering with my own...

fsb 701 (3.5ghz) @ 1.26 vcore
mem 701 @ 4-4-4-12 (PQI Turbo 2 X 1g 667 dual)
idle 33!
load 41!

i'm trying to get the screens up, but I was completely surprised. I set the vcore in the BIOS to 1.33, but cpuz is reading 1.26? I gonna run a memtest, and some benchmarks and then maybe push it a little more.

I don't think you gain much by putting the stock cooler back on. Its functions with the mobo are interrupted when overclocking, seriously reducing it capacity to cool the chip correctly.

If your cpu is idleing at 49 at stock with that cooler, I think something is off.

yea there was definatly a problem. i took everything apart last night and reapplied everything. not only did i finally get my vid card's cooler to operate correctly ( 84C idle to 42C idle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and silent!!!) i got my cpu to drop as well. now idles at 30C @ 1.33-1.34vcore but it did reach 54 under some heavy stress. thats a pretty big discrepency though... should i worry about that issue or is that just the max performance from my cooler??

i also attempted a slight overclock and put the fsb to 142 @ 1.33 and 31C idle. thats about 2.81ghz i think. in my bios for my mobo it says that my minimum vcore option is 1.37 or 1.38, no lower.... what gives with that?

and on your cpu-z showing 1.26, tomshardware's article stated that their cpu-z never once gave the correct vcore

thanks guys for the info

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
What I see in the 805 is cooling is required I know in mine it runs hot with a stock HSF the cpu fan is full tilt all the time. I will be putten the board in my case and do some ocing under colder conditions soon.

mcgregja

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Yeah, I'm assuming it's actually the 1.33 I applied manually in the BIOS. I'm using the ECS C19 SLI and there are some quirks with it.

After running memtest overnight, I received no errors and averaged 44C CPU and 38C SYS. Left it idle and got 36C CPU and 30 SYS. Gonna run PC and 3DMark soon as I get home from work. These are lower temps than when I ran it at 3.33ghz.

Glad to hear you fixed a problem. Weird about the minimum vcore. Shouldn't be any kind of hindrance since it only limiting the mininum. As for the discrepency in the temps, it could very well be because the vcore is already at 1.33. You should overclock to see if these temps change at all. Just start where you are now and bump the fsb in steady increments. Starting at 142, I would test in 10mghz increments (20 x 10 = 200mhz). I think you'll probably get to 3.6ghz (20 x 180) without any fiddling with the vcore. If you don't fiddle with the vcore, you shouldn't really see too much difference in the temps (I actually saw a decrease when bumping the fsb, ram AND vcore!) I think it might idle around 5-8 degrees highers at 3.6, but I wouldn't be surprised if your max load didn't increase more than a degree or two. At 3.6, those aren't bad temps at all for this chip on air.

Im not sure as I don't have much experience with the XMS ram, but if you underclock it to match the fsb @ 720 (180 x 4), you may be able to get tighter timings and maintain a 1:1 ratio.

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
yea there was definatly a problem. i took everything apart last night and reapplied everything. not only did i finally get my vid card's cooler to operate correctly ( 84C idle to 42C idle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and silent!!!) i got my cpu to drop as well. now idles at 30C @ 1.33-1.34vcore but it did reach 54 under some heavy stress. thats a pretty big discrepency though... should i worry about that issue or is that just the max performance from my cooler??

i also attempted a slight overclock and put the fsb to 142 @ 1.33 and 31C idle. thats about 2.81ghz i think. in my bios for my mobo it says that my minimum vcore option is 1.37 or 1.38, no lower.... what gives with that?

and on your cpu-z showing 1.26, tomshardware's article stated that their cpu-z never once gave the correct vcore

thanks guys for the info

I think the fact that you start at vcore 1.37 is why your temps appear hotter they everyone elses.

Good news is that I don't think you will need to adjust it much or at all to get to 3.6 or 3.8GHz

blood_44

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
yea your prolly right. i was extremely happy with the progress i was making with this cpu, gradually brought it up to 3.5 @ 1.34 ( read from abits guru ) everything was fine and running fast till all of a sudden it started running extremely hot. I had been burning movies using DVD Shrink with it at 3.2 to 3.5 and it did fine. all of a sudden though it would run DVD Shrink and after 2 min at full load would reach 65C and shut down my PC. i have no clue whats causing this all of a sudden. i have to drop it back down to 2.66 in order to run a full session of DVD Shrink and not have it shutdown. any thoughts??

thanks

-tc

LPS

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
65c is not all that hot. Check for guru setup and make sure it is not the problem. If it is monitoring the temp you may need to increase the upper limit.

Check the bios as well for the same thing.