Merging Domains

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Hello,

We have 4 sites that have their own windows 2000 domains that are running in
native mode, each site has its own independent domain. We are planning on
creating one parent domain for the entire company and replacing the 4
existing domains with child domains. How do we perform this conversion? If
possible, how do we keep all existing accounts and security setting without
having to recreate everything from scratch? You help is greatly appreciated
and thank you in advance.

"Henry" wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have 4 sites that have their own windows 2000 domains that
> are running in
> native mode, each site has its own independent domain. We are
> planning on
> creating one parent domain for the entire company and
> replacing the 4
> existing domains with child domains. How do we perform this
> conversion? If
> possible, how do we keep all existing accounts and security
> setting without
> having to recreate everything from scratch? You help is
> greatly appreciated
> and thank you in advance.

What do you mean with "each site has its own independent domain"

Do you mean:
* Each site has its own AD domain in its own forest
* Each site has its own AD domain in the same forest as the others
* Each site has its own NT4 domain

In all cases:
* Migrate users/groups
* Migrate resources
* Re-acl resources

For simple migration tasks where you only need to do domain and
windows servers/clients re-acling stuff you could use ADMT and other
migration tooling in the support tools

ADMT:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=788975b1-5849-4707-9817-8c9773c25c6c&DisplayLang=en

Support W2K SP4:
http://www.petri.co.il/download_w2k_sp4_support_tools.htm

Support Tools W2K2:
http://www.petri.co.il/download_windows_2003_sp1_support_tools.htm

What mail system are you using? Exchange 55 or Exchange 2000... 1
organization? More?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Merging-Domains-ftopict549733.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1741242

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply. We do have:

W2k Domains
Each site has its own AD domain in its own forest
all are w2k domains running in w2k native mode. (no NT or w2k3 servers)
One exchange 2003 server running on a w2k sp4 server.