ADMTv2 computer migration wizard/local profiles issue

JimmyB

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004

We purchased part of another company that uses AD. We currently aren't on AD
and have recently setup a AD DC and performed the user and group migration
between the two ADs. My issue is that when we perform the computer migration,
the local profiles aren't working properly. The first person that logs onto
the migrated computer has their old profile and all is good. The next person
that logs on seems to get part of the old profile, but not all of it. The
second person sees their old desktop background and then it changes to a blue
background. Their icons and most settings appear correct, but outlook wants
to install again. The GPOs for the computer and user don't all appear to
work either. I tried running the Security Translation Wizard and it runs to
success, but doesn't seem to make a difference. The computer migration
wizard seems to finish, but none of the statistics change on the screen. All
files, groups and folders show 0. The screen says it finished. The computer
reboots. Does anyone have any ideas on why the second and third users
logging into a migrated pc won't work right?
By the way we used add for the rights and not replace. I want the user to
still be able to get to the old domain if the migration doesn't work right.

Thanks in advance.

"JimmyB" wrote:
> We purchased part of another company that uses AD. We
> currently aren't on AD
> and have recently setup a AD DC and performed the user and
> group migration
> between the two ADs. My issue is that when we perform the
> computer migration,
> the local profiles aren't working properly. The first person
> that logs onto
> the migrated computer has their old profile and all is good.
> The next person
> that logs on seems to get part of the old profile, but not all
> of it. The
> second person sees their old desktop background and then it
> changes to a blue
> background. Their icons and most settings appear correct, but
> outlook wants
> to install again. The GPOs for the computer and user don't
> all appear to
> work either. I tried running the Security Translation Wizard
> and it runs to
> success, but doesn't seem to make a difference. The computer
> migration
> wizard seems to finish, but none of the statistics change on
> the screen. All
> files, groups and folders show 0. The screen says it
> finished. The computer
> reboots. Does anyone have any ideas on why the second and
> third users
> logging into a migrated pc won't work right?
> By the way we used add for the rights and not replace. I want
> the user to
> still be able to get to the old domain if the migration
> doesn't work right.
>
> Thanks in advance.

So you migrated a computer and also re-acl the local profile on that
computer of user1. User1 logs in with his new account and he still
sees his old desktop and that is good..

Users 2 and 3 do the same and they get a new profile when logging on
with their new accounts. Did the users 2 and 3 have local profiles on
that computer? Have they previous logged on to that machine?

Which users accounts in what domain are used to log on which computers
and in what domain are they?

Are you talking about AD W2K or AD W2K3? which service packs?

Be more specific

I’m not sure if this might be an issue but you might wat to take a
look at it: http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBN/tip6900/rh6919.htm

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-ADMTv2-computer-migration-wizard-local-profiles-issue-ftopict549734.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1741243

JimmyB

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004

"Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" wrote:

> "JimmyB" wrote:
> > We purchased part of another company that uses AD. We
> > currently aren't on AD
> > and have recently setup a AD DC and performed the user and
> > group migration
> > between the two ADs. My issue is that when we perform the
> > computer migration,
> > the local profiles aren't working properly. The first person
> > that logs onto
> > the migrated computer has their old profile and all is good.
> > The next person
> > that logs on seems to get part of the old profile, but not all
> > of it. The
> > second person sees their old desktop background and then it
> > changes to a blue
> > background. Their icons and most settings appear correct, but
> > outlook wants
> > to install again. The GPOs for the computer and user don't
> > all appear to
> > work either. I tried running the Security Translation Wizard
> > and it runs to
> > success, but doesn't seem to make a difference. The computer
> > migration
> > wizard seems to finish, but none of the statistics change on
> > the screen. All
> > files, groups and folders show 0. The screen says it
> > finished. The computer
> > reboots. Does anyone have any ideas on why the second and
> > third users
> > logging into a migrated pc won't work right?
> > By the way we used add for the rights and not replace. I want
> > the user to
> > still be able to get to the old domain if the migration
> > doesn't work right.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> So you migrated a computer and also re-acl the local profile on that
> computer of user1. User1 logs in with his new account and he still
> sees his old desktop and that is good..
>
> Users 2 and 3 do the same and they get a new profile when logging on
> with their new accounts. Did the users 2 and 3 have local profiles on
> that computer? Have they previous logged on to that machine?

Users 2 and 3 did not get new profiles. They sort of got their old
profiles. The old desktop background shows up and then goes away. They get
their old icons and settings, but not all the GPOs for the profile are there.
They did have a previous logon to the PC. They don't get a new folder under
documents and settings, so it is using their old settings.

> Which users accounts in what domain are used to log on which computers
> and in what domain are they?

The users are logging into the pc with the new user accounts for the new
domain on the computers that have been migrated to the new domain.

> Are you talking about AD W2K or AD W2K3? which service packs?

Using AD W2K3 with SP1. PCs are XP with SP2

"" wrote:
> [...]
> away. They get
> their old icons and settings, but not all the GPOs for the
> profile are there.
> They did have a previous logon to the PC. They don't get a
> new folder under
> documents and settings, so it is using their old settings.
> >
> > Which users accounts in what domain are used to log on which
> computers
> > and in what domain are they?
>
> The users are logging into the pc with the new user accounts
> for the new
> domain on the computers that have been migrated to the new
> domain.
> >
> > Are you talking about AD W2K or AD W2K3? which service
> packs?
>
> Using AD W2K3 with SP1. PCs are XP with SP2
> >
> > Be more specific
> >
> > I’m not sure if this might be an issue but you might wat

I have had a simular problem which I found to be the Protar.mdb.

Check that the protar.mdb in the C:\Program Files\Active Directory
Migration tool\ on the PC that you ran your user and group migration
from shows the users, groups and SIDs. If you are using more than one
PC for the ADMT then you will need to copy the Protar.mdb to the other
PCs or use only one PC.

The Protar.mdb is an access database. I would recormmend making a
back up of the file before making any changes or viewing.

Give that a go and see if it helps.