Epson Stylus Color 900 Can't remove color cartridge.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 13, 2005 6:29:35 AM

Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge to a
clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs replacing.
HELP!
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:53:19 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:29:35 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Ross McFarlane"
<Ross_A_McFarlane@email.msn.com> wrote:

>Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
>out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge to a
>clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs replacing.
>HELP!

I have no experience with the 900, but both my 1270 and R800 allow you to
move the head over regardless of the state of the cartridges using the
front panel controls.
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com
May 13, 2005 10:12:46 AM

Ross
There is one sure fire way to do this on any inkjet (as far as I know). But
firstly check to see if the tool box for the printer allows you to replace a
non empty cartridge (some do).
If that is not the case then....
Power the printer on, if the head starts to move toward the centre (you should
hear it) immediately turn the power off at the wall socket (or pull the power
connector out of the printer). The head carriage will then be free to move on
the carriage bar, so you can lift the lid and move the carriage to the correct
position and do your thing! A few printers do not move the head during power
on. In that case make it print and pull the plug while it is printing, this can
increase ink usage but in your case that isn't a problem.
When you have changed the cartridge just close the lid and power on and if
there are a few strange noises just ignore them!
Check to see what the computer reports for the ink levels in the printer, if it
is 100% or close to that then all is OK, otherwise download the SSC utility
from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and reset the colour ink levels after
setting the utility to match your printer.
Good luck
Tony

"Ross McFarlane" <Ross_A_McFarlane@email.msn.com> wrote:
>Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
>out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge to a
>clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs replacing.
>HELP!

Related resources
May 13, 2005 10:25:23 AM

Ross
I should have added that if after you have changed the cartridge you have poor
quality printing then email Arthur Entlich at <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> and ask
for a copy of his free Epson printhead cleaning manual. It is possible that the
printhead has started to clog after being unused for months. Arthurs excellent
manual will help you recover the printhead.
Tony

Tony <> wrote:
>Ross
>There is one sure fire way to do this on any inkjet (as far as I know). But
>firstly check to see if the tool box for the printer allows you to replace a
>non empty cartridge (some do).
>If that is not the case then....
>Power the printer on, if the head starts to move toward the centre (you should
>hear it) immediately turn the power off at the wall socket (or pull the power
>connector out of the printer). The head carriage will then be free to move on
>the carriage bar, so you can lift the lid and move the carriage to the correct
>position and do your thing! A few printers do not move the head during power
>on. In that case make it print and pull the plug while it is printing, this
>can
>increase ink usage but in your case that isn't a problem.
>When you have changed the cartridge just close the lid and power on and if
>there are a few strange noises just ignore them!
>Check to see what the computer reports for the ink levels in the printer, if
>it
>is 100% or close to that then all is OK, otherwise download the SSC utility
>from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and reset the colour ink levels after
>setting the utility to match your printer.
>Good luck
>Tony
>
>"Ross McFarlane" <Ross_A_McFarlane@email.msn.com> wrote:
>>Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
>>out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge to a
>>clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs replacing.
>>HELP!

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:03:24 PM

Your manual should have a section in it on replacing and "outdated"
cartridge. If you no longer have your manual, it should be available at
www.epson.com. Go to the US site and go to support and it will likely
be their as a .PDF file.

Art

Ross McFarlane wrote:

> Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
> out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge to a
> clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs replacing.
> HELP!

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:16:46 PM

Thank you Tony, thank you Ed and thank you Art for the prompt replies.
Ross.

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Your manual should have a section in it on replacing and "outdated"
> cartridge. If you no longer have your manual, it should be available at
> www.epson.com. Go to the US site and go to support and it will likely
> be their as a .PDF file.
>
> Art
>
> Ross McFarlane wrote:
>
> > Printer will not position cartridge for removal while color ink light is
> > out. It thinks ink cartridge is still full and won't move cartridge
to a
> > clear area. The cartridge has been unused for months and needs
replacing.
> > HELP!

May 15, 2005 11:36:46 AM

If you haven't already figured it out, holding the Load/Eject button for
five seconds over-rides the 'no out of ink' code and the print head will
move to the change position.

Works for just about any Epson printer, especially the older ones like the
900, 740 et al.

!