20+4 vs 24 pins...

mr_disco

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yo, first post I think...

I'm building a new rig, and found that my MOBO requires a 24 pin connector. The PSU I'm looking at says it has a 20+4 pin. It also has a 4 pin, and a convertor for another 4-pin. The MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, at newegg : MOBO

And the PSU is an XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W Here, I chose it because its cheapish and gets good reviews and has what I need for power. Any suggestions on a diff PSu would be graet, I'm more set on the MOBO than the Power Supply. So my question is this: Can these two work together? And what is the difference between them really? I had read that a 24 pin (PSU) can just overlap if you have a 20 pin(MOBO). Is this true? Can you also , then use a 20 pin (PSU) and plug it into a 24 pin (MOBO) and add the little 4-pin(PSU) to make 24? I would think that might fry something I dont want dead... any help would be appreciated...

Also what connector is used for SLI? Do you specifically use an SLI ready PSU or will any work?

~Josh

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The 20+4 looks like a standard 24 but the end 4 pins can be detached. In your case you can leave it alone.

The 4 pin connector is for the cpu, it's called a 2x2 power connector. You'll find a spot for it beside the processor in the top left corner. The extra 4 pin connector is for a dual processor (not dual core) so it would power a second processor (which you don't have so you won't need this).

For SLI you need two pci-e power connectors which are 6 pin.

It's hard to give you a better idea of how much power you need and a better recommendation unless you tell us all your system specs. Include CPU, GPU(s), ram, soundcard, # of hdd's, # optical drives, # fans and lights....

mr_disco

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Here's what I'm looking at:

The MOBO - Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
The Proc - Athlon 64 3500
HDD - WD 250GB SATA 3 GB/s
Video Card - GeForce 7600 GT PCIE
RAM - 2 Gigs OCZ DDR 400
Heatsink - Zalman CNP59500
A friend is giving me his 5.1 creative card, and I 'm gonna add a couple more fans - a 120mm for the rear and another 80 on the side (I love hole-saws)... so it will need power for 3 80s, and a 120.
So overall its a mid/high-range pc, all parts will be new except for the sound card. Does this help?

Oh and all this is going in the Aspire dreamer which already has a PSU, if that one would work for this, that would be ok.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Here's what I'm looking at:

The MOBO - Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
The Proc - Athlon 64 3500
HDD - WD 250GB SATA 3 GB/s
Video Card - GeForce 7600 GT PCIE
RAM - 2 Gigs OCZ DDR 400
Heatsink - Zalman CNP59500
A friend is giving me his 5.1 creative card, and I 'm gonna add a couple more fans - a 120mm for the rear and another 80 on the side (I love hole-saws)... so it will need power for 3 80s, and a 120.
So overall its a mid/high-range pc, all parts will be new except for the sound card. Does this help?

Oh and all this is going in the Aspire dreamer which already has a PSU, if that one would work for this, that would be ok.

no, Aspire PSU's suck. they blow after 2 months and might fry some parts with them.

get a good brand PSU.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
That psu is fine for your set up but if you go SLI you may run into some issues. Not saying you will but you may. You only need about 350w power with SLI (two 7600) but the amps on the 12v rail may be a little short (only has single rail with 18 amps).

Nice mid range PC.

Christ, the Sonata II w/ 450w psu is on sale at newegg right now....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

That is the best deal I've seen on that case / psu. Antec is a good psu maker and that case, while not flashy, is solid and quiet. I highly recommend it for another $35.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
That psu is fine for your set up but if you go SLI you may run into some issues. Not saying you will but you may. You only need about 350w power with SLI (two 7600) but the amps on the 12v rail may be a little short (only has single rail with 18 amps).

Nice mid range PC.

Christ, the Sonata II w/ 450w psu is on sale at newegg right now....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

That is the best deal I've seen on that case / psu. Antec is a good psu maker and that case, while not flashy, is solid and quiet. I highly recommend it for another $35.

waylander is correct but Aspire PSU's usually crap out after a few months and stop working.