Lost Domain Administrator Password

I have an issue in one of my remote offices. They are a 1 server environment
on Windows 2000 Server. The onsite tech has forgotten the Administrator
password and it was the only login capable of logging into the Domain at the
server.

I now need to find a way to reset that passowrd so I can login as the
Administrator and reset the password. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Netdog85" wrote:
> I have an issue in one of my remote offices. They are a 1
> server environment
> on Windows 2000 Server. The onsite tech has forgotten the
> Administrator
> password and it was the only login capable of logging into the
> Domain at the
> server.
>
> I now need to find a way to reset that passowrd so I can login
> as the
> Administrator and reset the password. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

OK, it is clear to me the admin pwd has been lost.

Are you talking about the admin pwd for an account on a member server
(server joined to the domain) or stand alone server (server not joined
to the domain) or a domain controller?

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-Lost-Domain-Administrator-Password-ftopict550341.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1742996

Jorge,

I did a google on recovering the admin password and found some resources to
reset the local admin on the domain controller. Then I booted in recovery
mode and modified the registry to have the cmd.exe file run instead of the
screensvr.exe file. When I rebooted I let the screen saver kick in which
gave me a comand prompt window where I launched mmc for Active Directory and
reset the domain admin password.

Word of caution on doing this. It does not work on Win2k3 server. Also
besure to change the registry settings back to the way they were. The tool I
used to reset the local admin password was ERD Commander from Winternals.
Pretty nifty tool.

Netdog85