AM2 Overclocking... Asus or ABit?

WanderingBard

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ok, well I'm going to build myself a new computer. I know a lot of people will say to go Intel for the new Core2Duo cpu's but personally I don't like having to deal with the different northbridges to work with different procs and such. I like how the AMD stuff is easy to upgrade without having to deal with all that stuff. And the boards are about 60 or more USD cheaper and the pricing on the low end of Core2 and the reduced prices of AM2 procs look like they will have very similar price for performance.

I know that with Socket 939, DFI made some of the best overclocking boards. But as of now, and most likely within the next two weeks they don't have any for sale that I know of. I've used gigabyte boards for a while, but have always been less than impressed with the overclocking ability of them. I know ASUS has a nice 8 phase board for sale and that ABit has a few boards out now (I always liked the red led's and the idea of having premium caps on the fatal1ty boards). And the ABit boards are less expensive than the ASUS board, but not by enough to influence my decision that much.

I wish XFX still made mobo's cause I had one and it was amazing. Then my PSU fried and melted the atx connector to the mobo in the process -.-

I'm planning on using a NForce 590 chipset. So it looks like I'll either be going with a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe or ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 or just the standard AN9. So anyone have any suggestions for which board will be the better buy/overclocker?

WanderingBard

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah, the driver haven thing is what made me start thinking of getting it. Unfortunately they don't oc it or anything like that. Normally I admit, I wouldn't think of getting something branded with some pro gamers name... I mean... Pro gaming... But it looks spiffy and is reasonably priced.

I'm not too worried about the maturity of a board, cause give any new board about 6 months and it should be just as good bios wise as any other. I guess I'll wait till the end of next week and see if I hear anything about DFI Lanparty boards or anything more about the Abit boards.

Thanks for the reply Buff!