Dcdiag failed test NCSecDesc

Hi,

I have a Win2000 domain with 3 DCs: DC01 (PDC,RID,Schema,GC,DNS) with SP3,
DC02(Domain Naming, Infrastructure, GC, DNS) with SP4, and DC03 (GC,DNS) with
SP4. We are planning to migrate this domain to a new Win2003 domain.

But when I restarted DC01 after a long time, the clients, which log in with
DC01, take 15-20 min in logon process.

When I run DCDiag, I get these messages:

Starting test: NCSecDesc
[DC01] LDAP connection failed with error 58,
the specified server cannot perfomr the requested operation.
.................................. DC01 failed test NCSecDesc

Starting test: Advertising
Warning: DC01 has not finished prpmoting to be a GC.
Check the event log for doamins that cannot be replicated.
Warning: DC01 is not advertising as a global catalog.
Check that server finished GC promotion.
Check the event log on server that enough source replicas for the GC are
available.
.................................. DC01 failed test Advertising

In the event logs, there is any event about replication errors.

I´d like to know what means these messages in the dcdiag, and how i could
trouble shoot GC?

Thanks in advance

--
Charles
MCSE

Hi Charles,

It looks to be a DNS / network issue.

Make sure you have your DNS correct. All servers / clients point to internal
DNS. DNS server forward to ISP.

Also try a dcdiag /fix.

Post your event error if needed.

br,
Denis

"Charles Beld" <CharlesBeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Win2000 domain with 3 DCs: DC01 (PDC,RID,Schema,GC,DNS) with SP3,
> DC02(Domain Naming, Infrastructure, GC, DNS) with SP4, and DC03 (GC,DNS)
with
> SP4. We are planning to migrate this domain to a new Win2003 domain.
>
> But when I restarted DC01 after a long time, the clients, which log in
with
> DC01, take 15-20 min in logon process.
>
> When I run DCDiag, I get these messages:
>
> Starting test: NCSecDesc
> [DC01] LDAP connection failed with error 58,
> the specified server cannot perfomr the requested operation.
> .................................. DC01 failed test NCSecDesc
>
> Starting test: Advertising
> Warning: DC01 has not finished prpmoting to be a GC.
> Check the event log for doamins that cannot be replicated.
> Warning: DC01 is not advertising as a global catalog.
> Check that server finished GC promotion.
> Check the event log on server that enough source replicas for the GC are
> available.
> .................................. DC01 failed test Advertising
>
> In the event logs, there is any event about replication errors.
>
> I´d like to know what means these messages in the dcdiag, and how i could
> trouble shoot GC?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Charles
> MCSE

Thanks Denis,

Yes, it was a DNS issue. All my clients was pointing to DC01, and they
didn´t have an alternate server. Also, My DC01 was pointing itself, so I
decided to point another DC with DNS to avoid isolation issue.

After these fixes everything is working fine.

Thanks again

--
Charles
MCSE