First Build Won't Start Up--Please help

jamesgig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have all of my hardware installed, and when I give it power, the pieces make their little noises, the fans spin, the LEDs glow, but nothing comes up on my monitor. Is there something I need to do like put the OS in the CD drive or restart something? Thanks for your help.

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Make sure to be listening for the POST Beeps, assuming you've installed the simple little POST Speaker, those beeps can give a good indication of whats wrong :)

The beep designations should be in your motherboard manual.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Please, please, please list all of your components when you ask a question like this.

motherboard
cpu
graphics card
ram
power supply
hard drives
case
optical drives
pci devices (like sound cards)

jamesgig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
asus m2n32-sli
amd x2 4000+
kingston ram ddr2 800
asus 7900gtx
xfi xtrememusic
light-on dvd drives
fsp group 600watt
seagate 320gb 7200.10
tt armor

I took everything out and put only the basic parts back in, and reset cmos, but still nothing happens. The lights and fans turn on and the parts make their little noises, but nothing shows on the screen. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for your help.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm assuming that you plugged in the speaker into the motherboard right?

Take out everything except motherboard, cpu, gpu and 1 (only 1) stick of ram and try again... this should at least get you into bios. If you can do this outside the case on a cardboard box as sometimes there is a short between the motherboard and case (I'm assuming you used the correct risers when you installed the motherboard).

If it doesn't then try the other stick of ram, then try different slots (still with only one stick).

You have the all the extra power connectors in? The 2x2 (4 pin power connector above the top pci-e slot) on the motherboard? 6 pin pci-e power connector on the video card? Jiggle the video card a bit? Don't use that f*cking crappy plastic thing for holding pci cards in. Take that right out and use screws.

Make sure you take that sound card out when you try again... it had known issues with Asus Nforce4 chipsets not sure about the 590 but it was an ASUS issue not a NVidia one.

jamesgig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I had to use screws or cut into the plastic which would defeat the purpose of the tooless design, so I have been using screws. I have all of the power cables in and am only using the most basic setup. I have the speaker cable in, but after I adjusted the video card, it has not made a sound. Do I need to put my OS disk into my cd drive or is there something else I should try? Thanks.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
asus m2n32-sli
amd x2 4000+
kingston ram ddr2 800
asus 7900gtx
xfi xtrememusic
light-on dvd drives
fsp group 600watt
seagate 320gb 7200.10
tt armor

I took everything out and put only the basic parts back in, and reset cmos, but still nothing happens. The lights and fans turn on and the parts make their little noises, but nothing shows on the screen. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for your help.

you can not use ddr 2 .

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
you can not use ddr 2 .

Why can't he use DDR2? That's what that MB's designed to take.

+1 For real dog. Do some looking around before posting a statement like that. You would have been correct a few months ago but not with socket AM2.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
you can not use ddr 2 .

Why can't he use DDR2? That's what that MB's designed to take.

+1 For real dog. Do some looking around before posting a statement like that. You would have been correct a few months ago but not with socket AM2.

is it am2?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
asus m2n32-sli

That is an AM2 motherboard, basically the equivalent to the A8N32 SLI deluxe for 939. Besides, DDR2 will not physically fit in a DDR slot.

If it is making no sound at all then it really sounds like a motherboard or cpu problem... did you mount the cpu correctly? Any of the pins bent?

A ram or video card problem will usually have some beep codes, if the cpu is not correctly installed nothing at all will happen.

Putting the OS in the disk drive will not accomplish anything as you must be able to POST (power on self test) before you can get into bios, you need to get into bios to change the boot order to CD first in order to install your OS.

Also, if you can borrow a friends video card do so. And I really hate to ask but the monitor is plugged in correctly and the power is on right? (don't get mad ppl actually have forgotten to turn the monitor on) Have you tried both dvi connections? Have you tried the monitor with a different computer?

dandano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I had to use screws or cut into the plastic which would defeat the purpose of the tooless design, so I have been using screws. I have all of the power cables in and am only using the most basic setup. I have the speaker cable in, but after I adjusted the video card, it has not made a sound. Do I need to put my OS disk into my cd drive or is there something else I should try? Thanks.

"adjusted" the video card?

jamesgig

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Every fan still works, but I do not have any input to the monitor. By adusted I mean take out, put back in and realign. I do not hear any post beeps and everything seems to be securely connected.