Which DC will it connect?

Using AD Users and Computers, I try to connect to another domain. I have
several DCs on the other domain. How does AD know which DC to connect to?

Thanks.

In all probability the PDC Emulator of the other Domain. In a parent child AD
Structure or a Separate trees in the same forest structure there exists a
Trust between all Domains. The Trust between domains as such in handled by
the PDC Emulator (the DC which holds this FSMO role).

"DCDIAG /test:KnowsofRoleHolders" is good way to find out which DCs hold
which FSMO role. Run from a cnd line w/o the ""

You can use NETDOM QUERY FSMO to know who is the PDC Emulator and other FSMO
roles holder. Run from a cmd line

"cjc" wrote:

> Using AD Users and Computers, I try to connect to another domain. I have
> several DCs on the other domain. How does AD know which DC to connect to?
>
> Thanks.

It will connect to the DC selected by the DC location services built into the
machine which is based off of site affinity. The client knows it is in site XYZ
so it will try to connect to the DC that is servicing site XYZ which is
determined based on DNS SRV records.

You can determine the mostly likely candidate you will connect to in any given
domain by using nltest.

nltest /dsgetdc:domain

joe

www.joeware.net