system state backup restore

steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

Advice needed.

I currently backup two domain controllers (one controlls RID,PDC &
Infrustructure) and the other which is the original Global Catalog server
which holds Schema master and Domain naming master roles.

I back up locally the system state to a flat file (.bkf) and then copy over
the network to a BU server (on tape).
Question: Anything wrong with this scenario?

In the case of a disaster I would rebuild the 'dead' server as a domain
controller (original parameters) and copy the system state over to it then
restore (authoritative) making it the Global again.

Question: Is this the correct way to do this with out using tape drives?
Would it be best to have the global catalog server run RID,PDC &
Infrustructure masters as well. We only run one domain (200 users max).

Thanks in advance.

With the number of objects this system runs it would make no impact to have
all the fsmo roles reside on one DC. What you have stated will work but if
you had them all on one of the two servers and you lost the one without the
fsmo roles to restore it would be as simple as doing a metadata cleanup in
AD and repromoting a server, no tape restore needed. The scenario you have
laid out will always force you to reload, although you could seize roles if
need be.