Sign in with
Your question

hellllp111

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2006 5:41:12 PM

my usb keyboards stopped working. the keyboards keep burning out in the slots after a while. im using onscreen rite now. anyways this started happening after i installed my 7900gt. i believe its my underpowered psu, at 375watts, dual 12v rail. its from a dell 9100. any comments?

More about : hellllp111

July 19, 2006 5:56:02 PM

get a new power supply.
July 19, 2006 6:10:01 PM

i just wanna be sure. dont wanna waste $75 to fix nothing.
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 19, 2006 6:28:50 PM

What are your complete system specs? How long does it take to burn out the keyboard? Is it only happening to your keyboard or other hardware plugged into USB ports? Have you tried plugging your keyboard into other USB ports? Are you having any other stability issues? Have you used any programs like everest to monitor your voltages? If yes, are you seeing a lot of fluctuations in any of the voltages?

It doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me...
July 19, 2006 6:30:50 PM

there really is no way for us to check for you. The only other thing you can do is reduce power demand, take out some hdd's or optical drives or even pci cards and see if it still does it.

I think it is a psu issue, just not a power one. probably dirty power or voltage spikes.
July 19, 2006 6:34:07 PM

I don't know that getting a new power supply would fix the damaging of keyboards, but it is needed if you plan on using that card in that system.

If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.
July 19, 2006 6:46:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know that getting a new power supply would fix the damaging of keyboards, but it is needed if you plan on using that card in that system.

If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.

>>If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.<<

Hey, thanks for thinking of the women reading the posts. Nothing sexier than a woman with a serious serpentine belt issue. 8O
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 19, 2006 7:00:14 PM

Quote:

How can you possibly know that this person needs a new PSU?! You have no idea abouth this person's system specs, PSU specs, how old the computer is or whether or not his voltages are fluctuating or stable? It is more likely that the USB port that he is using for his keyboard is faulty...
July 19, 2006 7:07:33 PM

pentium d @2.8 ghz
1.5 gb ram
7900gt
24bit soundcard
network card(pci)
dvd+cd drive

ive burned out 3 keyboards on all 6 usb ports. only keyboardsbburn. keyboards work on other computers. mouse works on usb.
July 19, 2006 7:22:45 PM

Umm, yeah, general ballpark specs can be gotten since he told me what type and model of PC he has (yes, he may have upgraded this or that, but for a general idea the model is sufficient). Plus, with the general quality of parts used by Dell....

I can appreciate the sentiment of preventing the recent trend of just telling people to upgrade to completely unnecessarily powerful supplies, but using a new, powerful card in a pentium4 system seems like it might warrant at least looking at that as a possibility. No need to take that sort of attitude.
July 19, 2006 7:51:24 PM

cant find option for monitoring volts on everest 2.0. updated bios, nothing changed. tryed updating chipsets: error in sfsync04.sys, help?
July 19, 2006 8:44:20 PM

What do you mean by "updating chipsets"?

Also, the "sfsync04.sys" file is a system file for some copy protection scheme installed with some games. I don't know what bearing that has on this situation.
July 19, 2006 9:09:20 PM

updated chipsets, no change. any other thing i can do?
July 19, 2006 9:22:00 PM

i'd go with waylander. the keyboards wouldnt power either way if the PSu was too weak.

try getting a better PSU.

Antec Smartpower 400w/450w/500w.

cheap and reliable sollutions
July 19, 2006 11:59:32 PM

how do i monitor volts?

tried speedfan, wont detect volts.
July 20, 2006 1:47:00 AM

Quote:
how do i monitor volts?

tried speedfan, wont detect volts.

multimeter
July 20, 2006 6:37:28 PM

in my device manager, 2/4 of my usbs have a yellow warning triangle. drivers are already updated, cant rollback.

this is yellow message:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 20, 2006 8:59:46 PM

Try removing the devices in the device manager and then rebooting. Windows should automatically detect the USB ports and install when you reboot. Then update to the most recent drivers.

That or ignore it...you obviously have a PSU issue... :/ 
IRT voltage monitoring: If the other utilities aren't working, then you can get voltage readings from the BIOS. They won't be under a load, but they can give a decent idea on how your voltage rails are doing. IIRC you have a Dell - can you download a hardware monitoring utility from them? Is there a utility on your CDs?
July 20, 2006 9:12:38 PM

i uninstalled the driver and rebooted, but it wont show on devices....
July 20, 2006 9:34:33 PM

nvm it seemed to work. but i dont know for how long. i can type again! lol
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 20, 2006 9:37:27 PM

Windows isn't detecting any USB ports now? XP has generic drivers for USB ports. If the system detects the ports, then XP should at least install the generic USB drivers... USB ports are very sensitive to static electricity - you can easily short/damage the ports with static shock if you insert USb devices while not properly grounded or at least touching a metal part of the case first.

Do you have the mobo driver CD? If yes, then slip that in and see if one of the install options are USB drivers. If there is no option specifically for the USB drives, then reinstall the mobo drivers and reboot. Let us know if they USB ports are detected.
July 20, 2006 10:31:25 PM

I had the same problem recently
the power supply would spike when I was playing a game and voltages dropped
once I replaced the power supply both usb mouse and keyboard worked properly
July 20, 2006 10:47:50 PM

the usbs were detected, and keyboard is working, but i dont know for how long.
July 20, 2006 10:50:55 PM

I have an asus motherboard and it has a monitor tool for power supply levels and such
if you have the ability to download and install a similar tool it would help you figure out if it is psu rerlated or otherwise
July 20, 2006 11:37:22 PM

Quote:
my usb keyboards stopped working. the keyboards keep burning out in the slots after a while. im using onscreen rite now. anyways this started happening after i installed my 7900gt. i believe its my underpowered psu, at 375watts, dual 12v rail. its from a dell 9100. any comments?

Why don't you try plugging one into a PS2 adapter and see if they still work? that will at least allow you to function till you can fix your ports.
July 21, 2006 12:18:07 AM

no ps2 slots on my computer :( 
July 21, 2006 12:20:27 AM

Ah.

Have you tried connecting through a USB hub that has its own power connection?
July 22, 2006 7:43:12 PM

Okay i decided on a PSU and the only problem now is size dimensions... i measured mine roughly, and got 5'9x5'5x3'10 and the PSU im looking at is the antec smartpower 500watt which is Size: 5.9" (W) x 3.4" (H) x 6.1"(D)

would there be any serious problem regarding size.
July 22, 2006 8:00:37 PM

the PSU is a mATX PSU. prolly a propriatary part. this was a prebuilt PC right?
July 22, 2006 8:51:05 PM

man I'm sorry, that PS will just not work in that machine. You'll need to move upto a full ATX case before you'll get that thing to fit in there. You can find one pretty cheap out there. Good Luck
July 22, 2006 9:21:45 PM

Quote:
man I'm sorry, that PS will just not work in that machine. You'll need to move upto a full ATX case before you'll get that thing to fit in there. You can find one pretty cheap out there. Good Luck

they sell mATX PSU's usually full ATX ones fit but they hang out a bit.
July 22, 2006 10:08:37 PM

should i be buying a micro atx then? i looked on newegg, and it looks like there are no good ones available, just cheap crap lol. theres no way i could fit that antec in there? darn... any suggestions on what i sohuld do?
July 22, 2006 10:27:39 PM

i think the antec would hang out a bit. look at Fortron Source FSP group. good PSU's
July 22, 2006 10:46:08 PM

what kind of problems would the psu cause if it was hanging out?
July 23, 2006 12:33:22 AM

none. actually it may have to be run externally.
July 23, 2006 1:12:47 AM

So you finally got one?
July 23, 2006 1:17:58 AM

huh??
July 23, 2006 1:42:03 AM

I have heard about people moding the dell case with some wire cutters to get a normal PSU to fit in. I think Dell should GIVE PSU's to customers who wish to update a graphics card (a large percentage would never do it so they would not be out much money) Something at least 400 watts....
July 23, 2006 3:03:05 AM

you can just stick the PSU outside on top of the PC and run cables in. Dell usually makes mATX mobo's and brand name PSU's have good cable length so it should be fine.
July 23, 2006 3:43:26 AM

ahh okay thanks. ill use it externally if i cant fit it in.
July 23, 2006 5:46:23 AM

good luck
July 23, 2006 10:53:48 PM

umm quick size question, which side is height/width/depth?
July 23, 2006 10:58:42 PM

if the PSu was on the floor the heigth was be up and down. width would be how wide...hell

here is a pic

Red height
blue width
green depth
July 23, 2006 11:34:56 PM

ahhh thank you very much :)  helps alot
July 23, 2006 11:50:22 PM

np
July 29, 2006 1:58:49 AM

okay last thing. I ordered the PSU tonight. If anyone could show me a really good detailed guide to installing a PSU that would be great. THanks.
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 29, 2006 3:27:17 AM

1. Unplug all power cables of old PSU.
2. Unscrew the 3-4 screws from the back panel.
3. Remove the PSU from the case without damaging the other components.
4. Reverse the process for installation - refer to the mobo/GPU manual to make sure you provide power to all the proper places.
July 30, 2006 4:41:12 AM

Quote:
okay last thing. I ordered the PSU tonight. If anyone could show me a really good detailed guide to installing a PSU that would be great. THanks.

Its only like 4 screws, then all the wires inside the case (just make sure you keep an eye on where they came from :) 

You may need to uninstall your CPU heatsink and RAM if you dont have enough room ? Also sometimes your CD/DVD drive cables will get in the way and its just easyer to remove them temporarily. This is a good time to clean out your case from dust and dust bunnies ! :) 
!