makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
my usb keyboards stopped working. the keyboards keep burning out in the slots after a while. im using onscreen rite now. anyways this started happening after i installed my 7900gt. i believe its my underpowered psu, at 375watts, dual 12v rail. its from a dell 9100. any comments?

What are your complete system specs? How long does it take to burn out the keyboard? Is it only happening to your keyboard or other hardware plugged into USB ports? Have you tried plugging your keyboard into other USB ports? Are you having any other stability issues? Have you used any programs like everest to monitor your voltages? If yes, are you seeing a lot of fluctuations in any of the voltages?

It doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
there really is no way for us to check for you. The only other thing you can do is reduce power demand, take out some hdd's or optical drives or even pci cards and see if it still does it.

I think it is a psu issue, just not a power one. probably dirty power or voltage spikes.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I don't know that getting a new power supply would fix the damaging of keyboards, but it is needed if you plan on using that card in that system.

If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.

I don't know that getting a new power supply would fix the damaging of keyboards, but it is needed if you plan on using that card in that system.

If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.

>>If you have 10,000 miles on your car's current oil and the thing is chewing through serpentine belts every two weeks, the two may or may not be related, but you still need to change that oil.<<

Hey, thanks for thinking of the women reading the posts. Nothing sexier than a woman with a serious serpentine belt issue. 8O

How can you possibly know that this person needs a new PSU?! You have no idea abouth this person's system specs, PSU specs, how old the computer is or whether or not his voltages are fluctuating or stable? It is more likely that the USB port that he is using for his keyboard is faulty...

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
pentium d @2.8 ghz
1.5 gb ram
7900gt
24bit soundcard
network card(pci)
dvd+cd drive

ive burned out 3 keyboards on all 6 usb ports. only keyboardsbburn. keyboards work on other computers. mouse works on usb.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Umm, yeah, general ballpark specs can be gotten since he told me what type and model of PC he has (yes, he may have upgraded this or that, but for a general idea the model is sufficient). Plus, with the general quality of parts used by Dell....

I can appreciate the sentiment of preventing the recent trend of just telling people to upgrade to completely unnecessarily powerful supplies, but using a new, powerful card in a pentium4 system seems like it might warrant at least looking at that as a possibility. No need to take that sort of attitude.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i'd go with waylander. the keyboards wouldnt power either way if the PSu was too weak.

try getting a better PSU.

Antec Smartpower 400w/450w/500w.

cheap and reliable sollutions

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
in my device manager, 2/4 of my usbs have a yellow warning triangle. drivers are already updated, cant rollback.

this is yellow message:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Try removing the devices in the device manager and then rebooting. Windows should automatically detect the USB ports and install when you reboot. Then update to the most recent drivers.

That or ignore it...you obviously have a PSU issue... :/
IRT voltage monitoring: If the other utilities aren't working, then you can get voltage readings from the BIOS. They won't be under a load, but they can give a decent idea on how your voltage rails are doing. IIRC you have a Dell - can you download a hardware monitoring utility from them? Is there a utility on your CDs?

Windows isn't detecting any USB ports now? XP has generic drivers for USB ports. If the system detects the ports, then XP should at least install the generic USB drivers... USB ports are very sensitive to static electricity - you can easily short/damage the ports with static shock if you insert USb devices while not properly grounded or at least touching a metal part of the case first.

Do you have the mobo driver CD? If yes, then slip that in and see if one of the install options are USB drivers. If there is no option specifically for the USB drives, then reinstall the mobo drivers and reboot. Let us know if they USB ports are detected.

XndeX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I had the same problem recently
the power supply would spike when I was playing a game and voltages dropped
once I replaced the power supply both usb mouse and keyboard worked properly

XndeX

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have an asus motherboard and it has a monitor tool for power supply levels and such
if you have the ability to download and install a similar tool it would help you figure out if it is psu rerlated or otherwise

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
my usb keyboards stopped working. the keyboards keep burning out in the slots after a while. im using onscreen rite now. anyways this started happening after i installed my 7900gt. i believe its my underpowered psu, at 375watts, dual 12v rail. its from a dell 9100. any comments?

Why don't you try plugging one into a PS2 adapter and see if they still work? that will at least allow you to function till you can fix your ports.