New PC Build, help and questions.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hello Everyone, I'm looking into building a PC, because my Mac just isn't cutting it for games. I play World of Warcraft, and will be doing end game runs very soon, and also want to play Half Life 2, and we'll see about other games once I get the PC. I've priced a couple different builds, and I don't have a lot of money to spend, want to keep it around $1000, for a complete system (need monitor and keyboard and mouse). So i'd be looking for suggestions, and also wonder if I should go Dual Core, or just stay single core for now? Right now I was looking at the AMD3800+ or AMD X2 4200+ and to be honest from what I've read the 3800 outperforms it in games (not in multi-tasking obviously), so I don't know if I can justify the price increase, however I'd like to know opinions.

My other thought is that I was going to buy a geforce 6900GT and then buy another card at a later time and Sli it, is that worth it? Or is it only worth it if I don't have the money to buy a more expensive card at the time? Also i don't need extras like a floppy drive, just basically hd, motherboard, processor, graphics card, case, DVD burner, and I already have a monitor picked out for about 200 dollars. Any suggestions would be great because I have a battle going on with my friends on what to buy, especially over the dual core issue. Thanks.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Hello Everyone, I'm looking into building a PC, because my Mac just isn't cutting it for games. I play World of Warcraft, and will be doing end game runs very soon, and also want to play Half Life 2, and we'll see about other games once I get the PC. I've priced a couple different builds, and I don't have a lot of money to spend, want to keep it around $1000, for a complete system (need monitor and keyboard and mouse). So i'd be looking for suggestions, and also wonder if I should go Dual Core, or just stay single core for now? Right now I was looking at the AMD3800+ or AMD X2 4200+ and to be honest from what I've read the 3800 outperforms it in games (not in multi-tasking obviously), so I don't know if I can justify the price increase, however I'd like to know opinions.

My other thought is that I was going to buy a geforce 6900GT and then buy another card at a later time and Sli it, is that worth it? Or is it only worth it if I don't have the money to buy a more expensive card at the time? Also i don't need extras like a floppy drive, just basically hd, motherboard, processor, graphics card, case, DVD burner, and I already have a monitor picked out for about 200 dollars. Any suggestions would be great because I have a battle going on with my friends on what to buy, especially over the dual core issue. Thanks.

Well. WoW isnt that demanding, and to be honest neither is HL2. Prey perhaps. Coming from a Mac I would try to put together a rock solid system for now until you get used to entering your bios and making drivers 'work' and such.
As for the CPU, I'm sure you have seen the benchmarks from the new CPU from Intel right? I am a hardcore AMD fanboy but that cpu deserves a good nod from the AMD crowd, we had over 2 years to gloat.
Get the cheapest AMD CPU you can stand. Your system maybe outdated by the time your power it on.

As for gfx card, go with nvidia. ATI has better hardware but their drivers require a little bit more effort (have to install .net) And I would get the 7800GT or 7900GT. Just well constructed cards. Stick with famous nvidia brands like Gainward, BFG, eVGA (Very nice)
Oh and forget SLI. Again coming from a Mac it will take a lot more effort to get to work then its worth.

Get whatever HD you want, I like Seagate and WD.
Get whatever case
Get a name brand Power supply. I can stress this enough, PSU related issues are ALWAYS the hardest to track down and predict. Hit up www.tomshardware.com for reviews of the best.
Get Lite-On optical drives. Cheap and only Plextor makes better drives.
Mobo is a hard one. I have had an Asus and ECS 939 nForce 4. Both have been good, and the Asus seemed higher quality, although they both work perfectly. As a side note, if you plan on having this system for awhile get a SLI mobo. They are cheap now, and you can use that second slot for a Agiea phixs card (sp?) Don’t feel bad spending a lot on a mobo, it pays for itself with trouble free running.
Whatever LCD. They all seem to be light-years ahead of LCDS 2 years ago.
O and throw in a floppy drive. Just tape it to the back side of your mobo tray if you don’t want to see it. You don’t even have to hook it up, just have it there as a backup.

Enjoy.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Here's the best you can do for a complete system with a monitor for $1000:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Mobo: Asus M2N-E

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 480W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Monitor: LG L1717S-BN

Total before taxes and shipping: $962.95

Very Nice system. I like every single component and brand. If I needed to make a system now, this would be it.

I would just add:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106023
If it ever comes back in stock that is.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks for all of the info, few questions

Is it worth getting a slightly faster CPU? Like the 3700 or 3800?

If I end up getting a 7900gt, is it worth buying a SLi motherboard? Or do I even need the 7900gt, when I could get the 7600gt?

As for the Mobo, how do you feel about EVGA, and would it be better to get a nforce 4 chipset?

Also I'm assuming that if I'm just using this for games I should stick with single core for now?

Lastly, how do you guys feel about Antec cases that come with power supply?

Thanks,

Paul

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
dont bother with a sli board and use the money saved for the 7900gt. Its cheaper than a 7800gt, uses less power and performs as fast as a 7800gtx. if you wait just a week or so you can get massive price cuts on the amd x2 processors. Waiting for a intel cpu may take a few months since the new intel cpu's will be sucked up first by dell and the supply will be tight for custom biulders. If amd go with the AM2 board as well for future upgrades.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Thanks for all of the info, few questions

Is it worth getting a slightly faster CPU? Like the 3700 or 3800?

I don’t think so. No it’s not worth it

If I end up getting a 7900gt, is it worth buying a SLi motherboard? Or do I even need the 7900gt, when I could get the 7600gt?

I would get a SLi board just so I could plug a Ageia Physx card in the other slot.
If you can afford the 7900GT go for it. The 7600GT is just fine.

As for the Mobo, how do you feel about EVGA, and would it be better to get a nforce 4 chipset?

Um I would get a NF4 board. More features. I love eVGA gfx cards. Not sure about the mobo. My roommate had one, but I was pretty sure it was a rebrand of some other companies. Although it did work fine. Don’t expect that many bios updates or any kind of company sponsored forum support like Abit.

Also I'm assuming that if I'm just using this for games I should stick with single core for now?

Sure. Software today isn’t ready to really take full advantage of dual or quad cores yet.

Lastly, how do you guys feel about Antec cases that come with power supply?

Just be sure that the power supply has enough power and is a good brand, like antec.
I would even blink twice to pay 100 bucks for a quality power supply, in fact I have done so many times and only my FSP psu turned out to be a lemon.

Thanks,

Paul

No problem. These are easy questions to answer. Plus we got to get you on budget. I know I will never spend 1500 bucks on a new core system again, so I feel like I should help you save money when in 6 months it wont matter how much you spent on your gfx card (BTW I spent over 700 bucks on two Leadtech GF6800 standards when SLI first came out…BIG mistake.)

dandano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Here's the best you can do for a complete system with a monitor for $1000:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Mobo: Asus M2N-E

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 480W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Monitor: LG L1717S-BN

Total before taxes and shipping: $962.95

I'd change the psu. I've had numerous problems with Antecs, and I build systems as my job. I'd go with an Enermax:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457

good luck!

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Well here is what I threw together, tell me what you think, I'm only looking for a simple case, but I like the antec case, but don't know if the included PSU is any good. Also what are your thoughts on the LCD, I would really prefer a widescreen LCD.

CPU - 3500+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103533

EVGA 7900GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130033

Case with PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129015

Lite-On DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106017

Samsung Hard Drive - Open to other options, don't really need more than 160gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822152020

View Sonic 19" WS monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824116373

Ram 2x512 - Not sure if it is better to get a 1GB stick or two 512s? Plus without the motherboard, not sure what type of ram to select.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145539

The only thing would be a SLi motherboard, any suggestions? I guess if I wanted to save some more money, I could easily go with the 7600gt, but at this price so far, I'm kind of excited. Thanks for all the help so far. Oh and the other thing would be should I go AM2 or Socket 939?

dandano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You really should spring for 2x1GB on the ram. Whatever you do, get two identical sticks. Dual Channel ram configuration gives a significant performance boost.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I like it, but the question would be, is it better to get the dual core, or get the single and then get the 7900gt?

Thanks,

Paul

2k7zero

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
The only thing would be a SLi motherboard, any suggestions? I guess if I wanted to save some more money, I could easily go with the 7600gt, but at this price so far, I'm kind of excited. Thanks for all the help so far. Oh and the other thing would be should I go AM2 or Socket 939?

Looks great so far. I would stick with 939 for now, till the AM2 matures a bit more, same for that new Intel chip.

Personally I had a Asus SLI Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517
Which makes me sick now that I look at it, I paid over 250 bucks for that thing not too long ago. :twisted:

After my PSU killed that one i got the ECS SLI board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135203
Works well. Cheap. There are other choices; those are what I have tried.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I think I might still go with AM2, just because for the setup I'm getting there really isn't a price difference. The only thing that would change my mind is if there have been problems so far with the AM2 builds? If not the option of getting an AM2 Dual Core at a later time sounds good to me.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I think I might still go with AM2, just because for the setup I'm getting there really isn't a price difference. The only thing that would change my mind is if there have been problems so far with the AM2 builds? If not the option of getting an AM2 Dual Core at a later time sounds good to me.

There are no major problems. Just don't use OCZ RAM with Asus motherboards and you will be fine.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006

There have not been any major problems with the AM2 that I am aware of, just a lack of reviews for mobos and cpus and chipsets is all. Plus AMD seems to have their act together since the last socket change and with nVidia on their side you should be good to go. Good Luck and enjoy your new system.

PS I have heard that AM2 does not see any improvement from running two ram sticks. So you may want to get a single one and get better overclocking results.

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It's still going to be about two weeks or so until I buy, just want to see if any prices do change with the new Intel processors coming out. But I'll be sure to post the final product when I get it. If anyone else has anything else to add, feel free.

Thanks,

Paul

paul3000

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thnanks again everyone for the help. Now with these price cuts for Dual core AMD CPUs any suggestions on if I should change and do Dual Core for sure. Or stick with the Single core? Or scratch AMD and jump over to Intel? Any other input is great, I mostly want to get the most bang for my buck, and after seeing my friends computer with a 7600gt, I'm impressed but for not too much more I can get the 7900GT and leave his system in the dust. Thanks.

Paul