Moving Sysvol folder to another partition

I have a Server in a closed classified room that has 2 partitons C and D.
When I set the system up I located the Active directory (Sysvol and NTDS) on
the D drive.
The size of the D drive needs to be increased by 100 GB. I have installed
the extra drives on the RAID, but the only way to increase D is too delete it
and recreate it with the extra drive space.
My problem is that I do not want to Demote my Domain controller and recreate
it once I get the D drive back up.
Is there a tool or way that I can move the active directory to C drive until
D is built and then back.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Glenn Selser
4 answers Last reply
More about moving sysvol folder partition

    Never done it but here is info and link where info was taken from

    http://web.mit.edu/redelson/www/msdocs/Active_Directory/AD_Ops_PartI.htm#_Toc15200355

    Moving SYSVOL Manually
    If you must move the entire system volume, not just the Staging Area folder,
    and you have determined that moving the system volume by using the Active
    Directory Installation Wizard is impractical, then you can relocate the
    system volume manually. Because no utilities can automate this process, you
    must carefully ensure that you properly move all folders and maintain the
    same level of security at the new location.

    Regardless of the method used to move SYSVOL, these events occur:

    · The File Replication service is stopped.

    · The proper folder structure is created at the new location.

    · The SYSVOL path information is updated in the directory and in the
    registry.

    · Default security settings are set on the new folder structure.

    · The File Replication service is restarted.

    FRS is stopped while the changes are made and then restarted after the
    changes are completed. During the restart process, FRS reads the new
    configuration information in the directory and the registry and reconfigures
    itself to use the new location.

    SYSVOL uses an extensive folder structure that must be recreated accurately
    at the new location. The easiest method is to copy the folder structure by
    using Windows Explorer. You must ensure that you copy any folders that may
    have special attributes, such as hidden folders.

    The folder structure also includes junction points. Junction points look
    like folders when they appear in Windows Explorer but they are not really
    folders. Junction points contain links to other folders. When you open a
    junction in Windows Explorer, you see the contents of the folder to which
    the junction is linked. If you open a command prompt and display a directory
    listing that contains junction points, they are designated as <JUNCTION>,
    while regular folders are designated with <DIR>. Junction points behave like
    regular folders. When you are working in the file system, you have no
    indication whether you are working with a junction or a folder.

    The difference between folders and junctions appears when you copy or move a
    junction to a new location. Because a junction is a link to another
    location, when you copy a junction to a new location, the link still refers
    to the original location. SYSVOL contains two junction points that point to
    folders in the SYSVOL tree. When you move the tree to a new location, you
    must update the junction points to point to the new location. Otherwise, the
    junction points continue to point to the original SYSVOL folders.

    The registry and Active Directory store path information that FRS uses to
    locate the SYSVOL and the Staging Area folders. You must update these
    settings to point to the new locations.

    After you create the new folders and update the paths and junctions, ensure
    that the folders get repopulated with the proper data. You can repopulate
    the files stored in SYSVOL at the new location is done by replicating the
    data into the new location from one of the domain controller's replication
    partners. The BURFLAGS option is set in the registry and when FRS restarts,
    it replicates the data into the new folders from one of the replication
    partners. Because this data is restored to the new location by means of
    replication, be certain that the system volumes on the replication partners
    are updated and functioning properly to ensure that the data replicated into
    the new folders is updated and has no errors.

    Important

    Remember, if the system volumes on your domain controllers are
    becoming unsynchronized to the point that you need to relocate the system
    volumes, be sure to troubleshoot the FRS problems and resolve the issues
    that cause the system volumes to become unsynchronized before you attempt to
    relocate the system volumes.

    Procedures for Moving SYSVOL Manually
    Except where noted, perform these steps on the domain controller that
    contains the system volume that you want to move. Procedures are explained
    in detail in the linked topics.

    WARNING

    This procedure can alter security settings. After you complete the
    procedure, the security settings on the new system volume are reset to the
    default settings that were established when you installed Active Directory.
    You must reapply any changes to the security settings on the system volume
    that you made since you installed Active Directory. Failure to do so can
    result in unauthorized access to Group Policy objects and logon and logoff
    scripts.

    1. Identify replication partners.

    2. On the replication partners, check the status of the shared system
    volume. You do not need to perform the test on every partner, but you need
    to perform enough tests to be confident that the shared system volumes on
    the partners are healthy.

    3. Verify that replication is functioning.

    4. Gather the SYSVOL path information.

    5. Stop the File Replication service.

    6. Create the SYSVOL folder structure.

    7. Set the SYSVOL path.

    8. Set the Staging Area path. If you have moved the Staging Area
    folder to a different location already, you do not need to do this step.

    9. Set the fRSRootPath.

    10. Prepare a domain controller for non-authoritative SYSVOL restore.

    11. Update security on the new SYSVOL.

    12. Start the File Replication service.

    13. Check the status of the shared system volume.

    Updating the System Volume Path
    Due to system maintenance, you might need to update the system volume path.
    When you add or remove disk drives, the logical drive letters of the other
    drives on the system can change. If either your SYSVOL or Staging Area
    folder is located on one of the drives whose letter changes, FRS cannot
    locate them. You must update the paths that FRS uses to locate these folders
    to solve this problem. To change the path for the system volume, make
    changes to the registry and in the directory. Changing the Staging Area path
    requires a change in the directory. Both changes require that you update the
    junction points. After updating the path information, you must restart FRS
    so it can reinitialize with the new values.

    Procedures for Updating the System Volume Path
    Use the following procedures to change the amount of space that is allocated
    to the Staging Area folder. Procedures are explained in detail in the linked
    topics.

    1. Gather the System Volume path information.

    2. Stop the File Replication service.

    3. Set the SYSVOL path (if needed).

    4. Set the fRSRootPath (if needed).

    5. Set the Staging Area path (if needed).

    6. Start the File Replication service.

    "GSelser" <GSelser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Server in a closed classified room that has 2 partitons C and D.
    > When I set the system up I located the Active directory (Sysvol and NTDS)
    > on
    > the D drive.
    > The size of the D drive needs to be increased by 100 GB. I have installed
    > the extra drives on the RAID, but the only way to increase D is too delete
    > it
    > and recreate it with the extra drive space.
    > My problem is that I do not want to Demote my Domain controller and
    > recreate
    > it once I get the D drive back up.
    > Is there a tool or way that I can move the active directory to C drive
    > until
    > D is built and then back.
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated
    > Thanks
    > Glenn Selser

    Heres the MS way to do it.

    How To Move the Ntds.dit File or Log Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257420

    How to relocate the SYSVOL tree on a domain controller that is running
    Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842162

    Demotion and promotion is also always an option. But Ive tried the above a
    couple of times and work like a charm. You might want to do the DIT and Logs
    first and then the SYSVOL.

    "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@allete_nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > 6. Start the File Replication service.
    >

    > --
    >

    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > rights.
    >

    > "GSelser" <GSelser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Server in a closed classified room that has 2 partitons C and D.
    >> When I set the system up I located the Active directory (Sysvol and NTDS)
    >> on
    >> the D drive.
    >> The size of the D drive needs to be increased by 100 GB. I have installed
    >> the extra drives on the RAID, but the only way to increase D is too
    >> delete it
    >> and recreate it with the extra drive space.
    >> My problem is that I do not want to Demote my Domain controller and
    >> recreate
    >> it once I get the D drive back up.
    >> Is there a tool or way that I can move the active directory to C drive

    That looks better. I couldn't find anything from Microsoft and since the
    link I tracked down was from MIT I figured it had to be good. But Microsoft
    is a better option.

    "Gautam" <heygautam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    >> rights.
    >>

    >> "GSelser" <GSelser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Server in a closed classified room that has 2 partitons C and D.
    >>> When I set the system up I located the Active directory (Sysvol and
    >>> NTDS) on
    >>> the D drive.
    >>> The size of the D drive needs to be increased by 100 GB. I have
    >>> installed
    >>> the extra drives on the RAID, but the only way to increase D is too
    >>> delete it
    >>> and recreate it with the extra drive space.
    >>> My problem is that I do not want to Demote my Domain controller and
    >>> recreate
    >>> it once I get the D drive back up.
    >>> Is there a tool or way that I can move the active directory to C drive

Active Directory Windows