strider

Hi there,

I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
too easy to exploit.

I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
days of gaming.

Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?

icon

Strider wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
> too easy to exploit.
>
> I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
> favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
> days of gaming.
>
> Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?

Well, you could always try some game balancing and exploit removing mods
for Morrowind.

strider

Icon proclaimed...

> Well, you could always try some game balancing and exploit removing mods
> for Morrowind.

Interesting idea. Thanks. Do you have any websites or recommendations of
that order?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:12:57 GMT, Strider <email-address@signature.okay>
wrote:

> Icon proclaimed...
>
>> Well, you could always try some game balancing and exploit removing mods
>> for Morrowind.
>
> Interesting idea. Thanks. Do you have any websites or recommendations of
> that order?

Recommended mods:
- Wakim's Game Improvements: Enhances NPCs in combat, alters many spells to
be really effectful (I don't recommend attacking a battlemage), alters
several weapon stats, ...
- Armor Effects: Wearing Medium or Heavy Armor now means a penalty for
sneaking and Agility.
- Dodge Mod: Adds a 50 point Sanctuary for unarmored players which
decreases with every piece of worn armor.
- Weapon range balance: Now spears reach farther than a dagger.
http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=M6n6M6#Weapon_Range_Balance
- Sri's Alchemy (by Srikandi): alters nearly every alchemical ingredient,
prohibits you from creating insanely powerful potions yet adding more
useful ingredients like fishbones or lichdust to the game
- Thief Experience Overhaul: high level locks will be a real challenge with
this mod. If you are unskilled in safety: forget picking a lock
stronger
than level 10. The same applies to traps. The "Open" spell is altered,
too. Sneaking and thus pickpocketing will be easier at night and more
difficult at daytime.
- Weather Effects: Ash, Blight and Snow storms affect your Strength,
Agilty and Endurance while blinding you.
- You might want to try a Creature Pack, for example
http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=Mephisto#Creature_Pack
to provide you with more suitable enemies. The original game stops
presenting new creatures when you reach level 17 or so; this mod goes
up to level 200 (I don't know if anybody ever reached that level)
- Morrowind Comes Alive: Adds several hundred NPCs to the game. Being a
thief is quite difficult if there's always somebody watching you.
- Alternate levelling: I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds very
promising. If you don't use a skill you will slowly forget it. This
should prevent you from becoming too powerful too quickly.
http://www.thelys.org/mods.php?a=Balor#Levelling

For Vampires:
- Vampire Embrace v1.9 (even though it is a beta version)
- Vampire Realism v1.2
- Vampire Upgrade v1.2
Use all three to make being a vampire more difficult and more enjoyable
at the same time. You now _have_ to drink blood; restore health magicka
doesn't work for you anymore. NPCs might attack you if you speak to
them and fail to raise their disposition high enough. Create your own
Vampires or addict NPCs to donating their blood. Those are only a few
examples of what these mods do: There is much more.

All of these mods (exceptions stated above) are available at
http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modcontrols/mods.asp

I hope you like some of these suggestions

Bjoern

Bjoern Liffers wrote:

> - Morrowind Comes Alive: Adds several hundred NPCs to the game. Being a
> thief is quite difficult if there's always somebody watching you.

Wow! I'm DL'ing that one right now! :)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:09:06 GMT, during a swim through the cold
waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of Strider
<email-address@signature.okay>:

>Hi there,
>
>I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
>too easy to exploit.
>
>I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
>favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
>days of gaming.
>
>Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?

I have a couple of suggestions. Pick up the Tribunal expansion and
download the remastered MP3s of Daggerfall for use in Morrowind! I
loved this combination tremendously. Also important to enhancing the
Morrowind experience are a few atmosphere improvement mods. Bethesda
has the Bitter Coast Sounds plugin available on elderscrolls.com and
it does a tremendous job of livining up the Bitter Coast region where
you begin the game. Another is Mr Bernard Langham's "Tavern
Ambience". It adds idle chatter to taverns and this simple
modification is essential in my humble opinion. Finally, the
Entertainers plugin from Bethesda is a nice addition to Balmora and
always helps my characters when in a pinch for trasportation funds.

If none of that piques your interest then i'd recommend both of the
Gothic games. They're very open ended RPGs focusing on a single
character's adventure (somewhat like Morrowind in a superficial
sense). Atari published Gothic 2 in America so it should be easy
enough to find or order off of online game stores. It may be easier
to find either of the games in Europe but i can't comment as such.

--
salutations, mat
np: [winamp not running]

icon

Strider wrote:
> Icon proclaimed...
>

>>Well, you could always try some game balancing and exploit removing mods
>>for Morrowind.
>

> Interesting idea. Thanks. Do you have any websites or recommendations of
> that order?

My suggestion is to check out some of the mods lists at the official
forums at
http://www.elderscrolls.com

At the Mods forum is a list posted often and updated by Telesphoros with
direct d/l links and a short description to many mods.

Personally, I used Adventurers 3.02 in combination with Morrowind Advanced.
Taddeus's balances are also very good (alters weapons, armour and some
other items)

Also, if you haven't done so, check out the graphical enhancers like
Better Heads and the Visual Packs. Makes the game look MUCH better. For
an idea, check some of the screenshots and mods at my website at
http://home.tiscali.co.za/~31003603/

I recommend getting Better Heads from http://www.thelys.org under Motoki
as the author, then using my Unique Heads with it.

Icon wrote:

> Also, if you haven't done so, check out the graphical enhancers like
> Better Heads and the Visual Packs. Makes the game look MUCH better. For
> an idea, check some of the screenshots and mods at my website at
> http://home.tiscali.co.za/~31003603/

Wow, looks good!

strider

Bjoern Liffers proclaimed...

> I hope you like some of these suggestions

I've saved the post for future reference. Thank you.

rc23

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

"Strider" <email-address@signature.okay> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
> too easy to exploit.
>
> I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
> favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
> days of gaming.
>
> Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?

Don't tell the peasants how good the pears are with the cheese!

Alternate Reality the Dungeon was the BEST game I ever had on my Atari800xl.
You ever play the other old RPG games like Temple of Apshi ?

-rc23

agamemnon

the kraken said...
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:09:06 GMT, during a swim through the cold
> waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of Strider
> <email-address@signature.okay>:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
> >too easy to exploit.
> >
> >I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
> >favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
> >days of gaming.
> >
> >Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?
>
> I have a couple of suggestions. Pick up the Tribunal expansion and
> download the remastered MP3s of Daggerfall for use in Morrowind! I
> loved this combination tremendously. Also important to enhancing the
> Morrowind experience are a few atmosphere improvement mods. Bethesda
> has the Bitter Coast Sounds plugin available on elderscrolls.com and
> it does a tremendous job of livining up the Bitter Coast region where
> you begin the game. Another is Mr Bernard Langham's "Tavern
> Ambience". It adds idle chatter to taverns and this simple
> modification is essential in my humble opinion. Finally, the
> Entertainers plugin from Bethesda is a nice addition to Balmora and
> always helps my characters when in a pinch for trasportation funds.
>
> If none of that piques your interest then i'd recommend both of the
> Gothic games. They're very open ended RPGs focusing on a single
> character's adventure (somewhat like Morrowind in a superficial
> sense). Atari published Gothic 2 in America so it should be easy
> enough to find or order off of online game stores. It may be easier
> to find either of the games in Europe but i can't comment as such.

I tried to download the tavern ambience once, but all it gave me was
errors. Missing walls and floors, no sounds anyway, and some other
know about?

/agamemnon

strider

rc23 proclaimed...

> Alternate Reality the Dungeon was the BEST game I ever had on my Atari800xl.
> You ever play the other old RPG games like Temple of Apshi ?

No, I never got AR until it came out on the Amiga. I didn't actually
have that Atari.

strider

agamemnon proclaimed...

> I tried to download the tavern ambience once, but all it gave me was
> errors. Missing walls and floors, no sounds anyway, and some other
> know about?
>
> /agamemnon

I know this isn't relevant but I've got a few AR tunes on my mobile :)

A lot sad I know but so pleasantly nostalgic.

> rc23 proclaimed...
>
> > Alternate Reality the Dungeon was the BEST game I ever had on my
Atari800xl.
> > You ever play the other old RPG games like Temple of Apshi ?
>
> No, I never got AR until it came out on the Amiga. I didn't actually
> have that Atari.

I always wanted an Amiga back then myself.

-rc23

On 27 Jul 2004 11:25:25 -0700, during a swim through the cold waters
of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of
rikerepsilon@aol.com (agamemnon):

>the kraken said...
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:09:06 GMT, during a swim through the cold
>> waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of Strider
>> <email-address@signature.okay>:
>>
>> >Hi there,
>> >
>> >I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
>> >too easy to exploit.
>> >
>> >I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
>> >favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
>> >days of gaming.
>> >
>> >Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?
>>
>> I have a couple of suggestions. Pick up the Tribunal expansion and
>> download the remastered MP3s of Daggerfall for use in Morrowind! I
>> loved this combination tremendously. Also important to enhancing the
>> Morrowind experience are a few atmosphere improvement mods. Bethesda
>> has the Bitter Coast Sounds plugin available on elderscrolls.com and
>> it does a tremendous job of livining up the Bitter Coast region where
>> you begin the game. Another is Mr Bernard Langham's "Tavern
>> Ambience". It adds idle chatter to taverns and this simple
>> modification is essential in my humble opinion. Finally, the
>> Entertainers plugin from Bethesda is a nice addition to Balmora and
>> always helps my characters when in a pinch for trasportation funds.
>>
>> If none of that piques your interest then i'd recommend both of the
>> Gothic games. They're very open ended RPGs focusing on a single
>> character's adventure (somewhat like Morrowind in a superficial
>> sense). Atari published Gothic 2 in America so it should be easy
>> enough to find or order off of online game stores. It may be easier
>> to find either of the games in Europe but i can't comment as such.
>
>I tried to download the tavern ambience once, but all it gave me was
>errors. Missing walls and floors, no sounds anyway, and some other
>know about?

Tavern Ambience was designed for Bloodmoon, but i know it can work
with just Morrowind. I used it when i had neither of the expansions
and all that would happen was the error message on start up. I
eventually downloaded TES Plugin Tool (TESTool) by ghostwheel.
TESTool cleaned up whatever made Tavern Ambience produce the error
messages in Morrowind and it worked perfectly after that.
--
salutations, mat
np: [winamp not running]

Strider <email-address@signature.okay> wrote:

>I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind
>because it was too easy to exploit.

An exploit only damages game play if you make use of it. In a
multi-player game like Everquest, exploits are a serious issue as
unscrupulous players could use them to gain advantage over other
players. However, it seems to me that the obvious approach in
Morrowind is simply not to use the exploits.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

sarah

"the kraken" <mattchu@northwestSPAMBEGONEconcerts.commie> wrote in message

> Tavern Ambience was designed for Bloodmoon, but i know it can work
> with just Morrowind.

Tavern Ambience was one of the very first mods released before Tribunal or
Bloodmoon even existed. If you were having a problem with it when not
playing with the expansions, perhaps it was another mod that was behind it.

Hiya ToolPackinMama...............did I spell it correctly?
"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Icon wrote:
>
> > Also, if you haven't done so, check out the graphical enhancers like
> > Better Heads and the Visual Packs. Makes the game look MUCH better. For
> > an idea, check some of the screenshots and mods at my website at
> > http://home.tiscali.co.za/~31003603/
>
> Wow, looks good!

Yes, looks very good, but takes a boxcar of time to DL it. Why is that?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:48:22 -0700, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) the kraken <mattchu@microsoft.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:09:06 GMT, during a swim through the cold
>waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of Strider
><email-address@signature.okay>:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I loved Daggerfall but couldn't get away with Morrowind because it was
>>too easy to exploit.
>>
>>I love open ended RPG's and am currently trying out Neocron. My
>>favourite open ended RPG is Alternate Reality way back in the good ol'
>>days of gaming.
>>
>>Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?
>
>I have a couple of suggestions. Pick up the Tribunal expansion and
>download the remastered MP3s of Daggerfall for use in Morrowind! I
>loved this combination tremendously. Also important to enhancing the
>Morrowind experience are a few atmosphere improvement mods. Bethesda
>has the Bitter Coast Sounds plugin available on elderscrolls.com and
>it does a tremendous job of livining up the Bitter Coast region where
>you begin the game. Another is Mr Bernard Langham's "Tavern
>Ambience". It adds idle chatter to taverns and this simple
>modification is essential in my humble opinion. Finally, the
>Entertainers plugin from Bethesda is a nice addition to Balmora and
>always helps my characters when in a pinch for trasportation funds.
>
>If none of that piques your interest then i'd recommend both of the
>Gothic games. They're very open ended RPGs focusing on a single
>character's adventure (somewhat like Morrowind in a superficial
>sense). Atari published Gothic 2 in America so it should be easy
>enough to find or order off of online game stores. It may be easier
>to find either of the games in Europe but i can't comment as such.

I also enjoyed Both Gothic Games, though I did have to break my bad
Morrowind habit of pressing my keyboards "Space Bar" when trying to talk
to someone, since that causes your Gothic character to draw his weapon
which can cause friendly characters to defend themselves! <L> I found
and ordered both of my Gothic games from www.GoGamer.com their prices
are good and they also stock some European games that are too Graphic
(R-Rated) or Bloody for American game company's to produce/sell here...

If you want to try something different, try Freelancer by Microsoft,
it's a GREAT Space RPG! Like Morrowind, it's open ended with a huge
area to explore, it's Very Easy to play, and there are plenty of Great
Mods for it... If you're interested but you can't find Freelancer at a
local store that sells computer games, www.GoGamer.com or some other
online store should have it in stock at a reasonable price.

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> >>Does anyone have any alternitives to Morrowind?

There was a thread here on the board, not long ago, discussing exactly this.

Games that closely match MW are Gothic series. But i would strongly suggest
trying out demo for Gothic2 before anyone orders it!

Other games include Independence war 2: Edge of Chaos. It is a space-sim
that focus on veery open-ended gameplay, with incredible free-road style.
Graphics, physics (first game to use physics in space), sounds are all
excellent.
There was freelancer , which was way too mission oriented. You could not
play in freeroam mode and freedom was limited. It was also linear.

On the Racing front, Street Legal 1 and 2 (Street Legal Redline) would come
close. Both have free roam mode, numerous vehicle upgrades, heck you build
you own car! But they need some serious horsepower to run, and are generally
a bit unstable.

strider

Lokari proclaimed...

> An exploit only damages game play if you make use of it. In a
> multi-player game like Everquest, exploits are a serious issue as
> unscrupulous players could use them to gain advantage over other
> players. However, it seems to me that the obvious approach in
> Morrowind is simply not to use the exploits.

Sorry, if they're there they put me off the game.

--
www.stri.tk

Strider <email-address@signature.okay> wrote:

>> it seems to me that the obvious approach in
>> Morrowind is simply not to use the exploits.

>Sorry, if they're there they put me off the game.

So, another criteria is the complete absence of anything like built-in
God mode, or add-on modules?

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

strider

Lokari proclaimed...

> So, another criteria is the complete absence of anything like built-in
> God mode, or add-on modules?

God mode needs to be enabled. Quite often through a console....

But when you can walk into someone's house and pick up all their worldy
possessions and then walk out the door without them saying a word it
tends to break your belief in the universe.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:19:33 GMT, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o>
wrote:

>There was a thread here on the board, not long ago, discussing exactly this.
>
>Games that closely match MW are Gothic series. But i would strongly suggest
>trying out demo for Gothic2 before anyone orders it!
>
>Other games include Independence war 2: Edge of Chaos. It is a space-sim
>that focus on veery open-ended gameplay, with incredible free-road style.
>Graphics, physics (first game to use physics in space), sounds are all
>excellent.
>There was freelancer , which was way too mission oriented. You could not
>play in freeroam mode and freedom was limited. It was also linear.

There are various Mods for Freelancer that remove the story line and
allow you to play it in Freeroam mode from the start without any preset
game conditions. And there are other Mods that add new ships, weapons,
and even star systems to the game. I actually enjoyed most of the
missions since they added situations and background that is not normally
present in the game, though I REALLY Hated HAVING to Win a Stupid Race
before I could complete one mission...

To learn more about Freelancer and the many Mods for it, visit:
http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/ which seems to be the main Freelancer
Mod Site. While there, check out the Downloads section to get
descriptions of the Huge Number of Mods for Freelancer.