Fax and Modem support

I am "not subscribed" to the ATT CallVantage modem support, yet
visitors are able to use their laptop modems to dial out. Why?

Does enabling "Fax and Modem Support" degrade (somewhat) my internet
service?

"Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

> I am "not subscribed" to the ATT CallVantage modem support, yet
> visitors are able to use their laptop modems to dial out. Why?
>
> Does enabling "Fax and Modem Support" degrade (somewhat) my internet
> service?

Maybe because the voice codec you're using is G.711, or even G.726 32kpbs,
which are adequate for transfer of fax and modem traffic. Or, it's possible
that your VoIP provider "upspeeds" fax and modem traffic (essentially
allocating more bandwidth to these applications when their use is detected).

Simply *enabling* "Fax and Modem Support" should not degrade anything. of
course, actually *using* the service will, because it will rob bandwidth
from your voice app.

James