Sign in with
Your question

mobo sparks

Last response: in Systems
July 19, 2006 8:01:21 PM

ok so i switched my pc case and when i went to boot up i hard and saw sparks. i quickly unpluged the PS. so i checked if i did anything wrong again. nothign seemed out of place. and now the damn thing is working fine. any ideas what it could have been or if this is serious and i should do something.

asus m2n sli deluxe
ahtlon 64 3500
2 x512 generic ddr2 533
bfg geforce 7600 gt oc
seagate 250 gb hd

More about : mobo sparks

July 19, 2006 8:33:50 PM

Quote:
i should do something.

Yes. Stay away from building PCs. Motherboards don't spark for no reason.
You obviously have something grounding out.

N.B. Please use you Shift Key at the start of sentences, and to capitalise the personal Pronoun "I". $8 an hour is all you can expect otherwise.
July 19, 2006 8:37:28 PM

Quote:
i should do something.

Yes. Stay away from building PCs. Motherboards don't spark for no reason.
You obviously have something grounding out.

N.B. Please use you Shift Key at the start of sentences, and to capitalise the personal Pronoun "I". $8 an hour is all you can expect otherwise.

Thanks. However I don't understand why you have to be such a jerk. Your on a forum buddy. insulting people is easy. I guess that just makes you feel good about yourself then.
Related resources
July 19, 2006 9:14:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks. However, I don't understand why you have to be such a jerk. You're on a forum, buddy. Insulting people is easy. I guess that just makes you feel good about yourself, then.

Fixed that for ya, Rider. :lol: 

Seriously though, it's not that hard to properly format your text. Makes it much easier for those of us trying to help to read through what's going on.

Definitely, pull your motherboard out of the case. Check to make sure you didn't lose a screw or something under there, as there should be no reason for a mobo to spark. Ever.

If you see it again after checking that and reassembling, you need to verify whether it's the motherboard itself or the Power Supply. Look for scorch marks where you were shorting before. Verify your voltages from the PS with a voltmeter. Let us know what you find.

-J
July 19, 2006 9:19:11 PM

It was definitely the montherboard. There's a part that kinda got a little fried. beside it, it says pcie1. It was one of those little black things. Pardon my description. lol. It's working perfectly now though. I've tested many different things and they seem to be running smooth.
July 19, 2006 9:34:06 PM

Quote:
It was definitely the montherboard. There's a part that kinda got a little fried. beside it, it says pcie1. It was one of those little black things. Pardon my description. lol. It's working perfectly now though. I've tested many different things and they seem to be running smooth.

That is not a critical component of the motherboard assuming its one of the short PCIe slots. However it is linked to the PCIe bus which in turn is linked to your $$$ gfx card.

Please do check the power coming off your PSU and if you can try to RMA your mobo if it’s not too old. Better to be safe then sorry.

PS: Most of us on this forum try to be very polite and helpful. Although a little spell-check here and there does wonders.

Good luck.
July 19, 2006 9:57:05 PM

You know it's going to be a good thread when it has that ^^^ title.

And those sparks are just for show. They actually do more realistic damage to your components if you have a PhysX processor. FACT.
July 19, 2006 10:25:40 PM

what are those short pci slots for anyways?
July 19, 2006 11:18:57 PM

I've seen some ethernet and HDD controller cards that use PCIe x1, and I'm sure there are others out there. PCIe cards aren't that popular yet (aside from graphics of course), but supposedly it is going to completely replace PCI in a few years.
July 20, 2006 6:14:26 AM

Sparks=short. Shorts are 99% of the time caused by getting the offsets and mounting screws wrong. I've done it myself one or twice in nearly two decades of building systems.
July 20, 2006 11:51:43 AM

Quote:
Sparks=short. Shorts are 99% of the time caused by getting the offsets and mounting screws wrong. I've done it myself one or twice in nearly two decades of building systems.

That or some bits of metal go into the pcie 1x slot and shorted it out. PCIe slots have some serious power pumping through them when compared PCIc (classic;)
July 20, 2006 12:23:54 PM

Ok but if the system is running smoothly now, everything should be fine right?
July 20, 2006 12:42:52 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure...
July 20, 2006 2:23:33 PM

Quote:

Stick your tongue in that PCI-E slot and let us know what happens.
I've done this with various systems on various plugs. Just try not to lick the capacitors. What you report back should determine your next course of action.
July 20, 2006 2:25:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I don't think i wanna do that.
July 20, 2006 2:54:18 PM

Playing along with a joke is encouraged here.

You could have said you did it and suddenly became immortal. Maybe it would encourage other people to actually do it, and they would all win the Darwin award in doing so...
July 20, 2006 3:33:32 PM

Quote:

Maybe. You might just get lucky and othing important was affected. On the other hand, sometime down the road you'll upgrade something and it will all come to a halt. RMA the board if you can. The slot is probably dead. It might not be your fault at all, but a factory defect.

Look at it this way. Right now you might not be using a slot that's shorted out. Next year, or even 6 months from now, some company might put out a card to fit into that slot. Then you want to use the slot, and if its shorted, its dead and you're stuck for buying a new board. So RMA the board now and have the available slot for future use.
July 20, 2006 3:42:15 PM

What? Change "survival of the fittest" into "survival of the smartest"? We need a few 500 pound gorillas to do the hard work. Besides, it brings to mind some of the dumb things I did and survived years ago.
July 20, 2006 5:14:09 PM

I actually have the exact thing happen to me. I had a piece of ethernet cable in the case (I made a cable and the little wires got in the case). It fried. The PS actually set fire, and EVERYTHING was ruined. I think that the only things that still worked were the Monitor, KB and mouse. Everything else was bad.

I had a pic at one point of it. The PS started on fire, as well as the MOBO. The computer actually was on fire. I had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out...
:) 
July 20, 2006 6:03:46 PM

I had a power supply short out on me once. It sent 120V right down the fan power connectors.(was just testing boards - nothing major connected)

All of the wires on the board lit up bright red and the insulation vaporized - all in about two seconds. I basically turned that MB and case into a short-lived lightbulb filament. ;) 
July 20, 2006 6:34:19 PM

It’s a bit off topic, but I was fixing this printer/toaster and we found that is Low volt power supply had gone bad, and when we opened it up we found a fuse blown. I jumped it with three pennies and plugged it in only to hear a loud snap, smoke and bolt of light. Needless to say the printer was destroyed and it cut a rift in one of my pennies. Thought I would get fired for that one lol.

To this day they still talk about it...
July 21, 2006 1:29:14 AM

I had another PC fry one me at work as well. Awesome smoke. A little toasty as well... lol
!