AllThingsGreek

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'm going to be striping 4 300-320 GB disks in RAID 0.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which brand and/or model I should go with?

Thanks.

haha103

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
reliable? raid 0 is not a good choice

for HDs, i think seagate 7200.10 is almost the fastest in 7200rpm series

and Maxtor MaxLine series is much better for its reliablity regarding its MTBF.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Def. recommend the seagate. It's better value and PRT should decrease the wear on the drive somewhat. Also consider turning on NCQ if you will be doing a lot of I/O.

AllThingsGreek

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Def. recommend the seagate. It's better value and PRT should decrease the wear on the drive somewhat. Also consider turning on NCQ if you will be doing a lot of I/O.

What are the PROs and CONs of having NCQ on/off?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I jsut got my Seagate 7200.10 320 and I can say it is fast! Makes me wonder if I realy need a raptor now 8) It seems to blow away my old WD120 in all out speed and access times!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

What are the PROs and CONs of having NCQ on/off?In most desktop apps, NCQ actually hurts performance minutely. For some reason, it seems to have a benefit on Maxtors drives though. :?

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Well to me it doesn't sound like he's going to use them for desktop applications, but I guess we should let him answer that.

You want to use NCQ when the drives are going to have multiple read/write requests simultaneously and often. An example is in a server environment - applications, storage, back-ups, etc will benefit with NCQ's optimized read/write patterns. Also, if you were doing something like high-end video/audio processing, especially with multitasking on a multicore processor, then NCQ would also show increased performance (not to mention less wear on the drive). It works by intelligently/logically scheduling read/write requests so that the platters spin less and the arms do work more efficiently per revolution.

If you're using them for basic desktop apps, nothing really heavy, then NCQ can decrease performance because the scheduling logic increases latency overhead.