Newegg wants a reference number but Canon doesn't have the..

I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't
print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I
emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx
for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only
returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have
already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue
an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for
replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from
manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from
the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit
their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then

I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He
said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could
call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking
them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they
said:

Thank you for writing back to us.
A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a
ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.

By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
lemon, doh..

Michael Shaffer wrote:
> I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't
> print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I
> emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:
>

> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
> reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx
> for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may
> only returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have
> already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to
> issue an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for
> replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from
> manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from
> the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or
> visit their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number,
> and then reply to this email, and we will issue an RMA for
> replacement.
>

> I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is.
> He said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg
> could call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to
> newegg asking them to be more specific about a reference number and
> this is what they said:
>

> Thank you for writing back to us.
> A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
> contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
> contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
> and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
> Thank you for your understanding.
>

> I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get
> a ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.
>
> By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
> before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
> lemon, doh..

I am surprised that newegg will issue a refund with the Canon
"confirmation number" on an OEM product. Recognize that newegg might
have acquired that printer as the overstock from an Asian source (as an
example only) that is outside the Canon USA corporate network for
warranty and repair. Newegg will not be able to acquire a replacement
from Canon USA unless Canon USA accepts it as one of their printers via
the Canon reference number supplied to you. The reason that Canon is
also reluctant to provide you with a call number for newegg it that they
have no legal responsibility for that printer since its serial number is
not from their stock and they have no avenue for a replacement either.
These are the reasons for the OEM product "replacement only" policy that
is quite clearly spelled out on the newegg pages for each OEM product as
well as on the order confirmation sent to the customer.

If you cut the UPC code from the OEM box for a rebate offer, that won't
work either since the UPC code will clearly show that the printer is not
from the Canon USA corporate stock and the rebate will be rejected as it
should be. So it looks like the printer is caught in the "return for
replacement only" loop at both newegg and Canon for valid business
reasons. Neither company is trying to cheat you; newegg will replace
the broken printer which is what both you and newegg agreed is the
process.

Michael Shaffer wrote:
> I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't
> print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I
> emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:
>

> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
> reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx
> for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only
> returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have
> already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue
> an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for
> replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from
> manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from
> the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit
> their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then
>

> I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He
> said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could
> call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking
> them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they
> said:
>

> Thank you for writing back to us.
> A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
> contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
> contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
> and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
> Thank you for your understanding.
>

> I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a
> ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.
>
> By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
> before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
> lemon, doh..

Sorry you are having a problem with NewEgg. Have been doing business
with them for yrs and have had to return things several times. They
have always been a pleasure to deal with. If you look at any of the
sights that rate business's you'll see the customers universally think
NewEgg it top notch Co.

Call NewEgg in place of using internet, you many have better luck
dealing with your problem.

Mickey

"Michael Shaffer" <michaelshaffer@cox.net> wrote in message
> I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't
> print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I
> emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:
>

> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
> reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx
> for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only
> returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have
> already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue
> an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for
> replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from
> manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from
> the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit
> their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then
>

> I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He
> said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could
> call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking
> them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they
> said:
>

> Thank you for writing back to us.
> A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
> contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
> contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
> and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
> Thank you for your understanding.
>

> I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a
> ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.
>
> By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
> before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
> lemon, doh..

I have not had to contact Canon, but every maker I have contacted, either by
email [where it is more obvious] or by phone with a serious issue [and not just
an informational question], opens a problem log and tags it with a reference
number so subsequent calls and/or emails on the same subject can be kept
together until the problem is closed.

If the problem report is initiated by phone, you may have to go out of your way
to ask for the problem log number [issue ticket number, whatever], but usually,
if the problem report was initiated by email, the reference number is in the
return email, and, in fact, you are usually cautioned to make sure you use that
number in any subsequent correspondence.

I would find it hard to believe that Canon doesn't use such a tracking system.

Ok, I just called Canon again and they said their server was down the
day I called initially.. so I just have to call back tomorrow so they
can make a case file..

SamSez wrote:
> "Michael Shaffer" <michaelshaffer@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't
>>print black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I
>>emailed newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:
>>

>>We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
>>reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx
>>for item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only
>>returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have
>>already cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue
>>an RMA for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for
>>replacement as long as you must require a Reference Number from
>>manufacturer determining it is defective within the first 30 days from
>>the original invoice date. Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit
>>their website http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then
>>

>>I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He
>>said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could
>>call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking
>>them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they
>>said:
>>

>>Thank you for writing back to us.
>>A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
>>contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
>>contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
>>and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
>>Thank you for your understanding.
>>

>>I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a
>>ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.
>>
>>By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
>>before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
>>lemon, doh..
>

> I have not had to contact Canon, but every maker I have contacted, either by
> email [where it is more obvious] or by phone with a serious issue [and not just
> an informational question], opens a problem log and tags it with a reference
> number so subsequent calls and/or emails on the same subject can be kept
> together until the problem is closed.
>
> If the problem report is initiated by phone, you may have to go out of your way
> to ask for the problem log number [issue ticket number, whatever], but usually,
> if the problem report was initiated by email, the reference number is in the
> return email, and, in fact, you are usually cautioned to make sure you use that
> number in any subsequent correspondence.
>
> I would find it hard to believe that Canon doesn't use such a tracking system.

That was a great post. They are shits and I thought they were good.
This just reinforces my belief that Costco is the best place to buy a
printer. Their policy is if you are not happy they will give you a
refund. Thats it! The only requirement is to go to the store and say I
am not happy. If you purchased from Costco.com you could either go to
the store or call for an RMA number and ship it back.

> That was a great post. They are shits and I thought they were good.

Who are shits?.. Canon?

New Egg

> New Egg

Why do you say that? Newegg want a reference number from Canon - that's all.
I'd be fuming at Canon for not being able to give me such a thing as simple
as a reference number.

I particularly like the quote:

"I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is."

Great customer service eh? They don't even know *what* a reference number
is.....

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

This is why it's a good idea to buy such things with a credit card. A quick
call to the credit card company usually solves the problem very rapidly.

"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
> Michael Shaffer wrote:
>> I bought a Canon IP3000 printer on May 8th from newegg and it won't print
>> black ink. I talked to Canon and they said it's defective..So I emailed
>> newegg asking for a refund. This is what they wrote back:
>>

>> We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After
>> reviewing your account, we noticed that you placed sales order xxxxxx for
>> item#xxxxxxx on 05/08. As listed on our website, this item may only
>> returned for a replacement of the same make/model. Since you have already
>> cut UPC from the box, therefore we are sorry for unable to issue an RMA
>> for refund. However, we would like to issue an RMA for replacement as
>> long as you must require a Reference Number from manufacturer determining
>> it is defective within the first 30 days from the original invoice date.
>> Please contact Canon at 800-828-4040 or visit their website
>> http://www.canon.com for the reference number, and then reply to this
>> email, and we will issue an RMA for replacement.
>>

>> I called Canon back and they have no idea what a reference number is. He
>> said perhaps he could take my phone number down and then newegg could
>> call them to see that I talked with them. I wrote back to newegg asking
>> them to be more specific about a reference number and this is what they
>> said:
>>

>> Thank you for writing back to us.
>> A reference number is any number used for reference after customer
>> contacted the manufacturer determining the item is defective. Please
>> contact Canon at 800-828-4040 for it, and reply to this email with it,
>> and then we will be more than happy to issue an RMA for replacement.
>> Thank you for your understanding.
>>

>> I'm not sure what to do at this point, I can't get an RMA until I get a
>> ref number but Canon doesn't seem to issue them.
>>
>> By the way, I still have the UPC proof of purchase.. I was doing it
>> before I forgot but I guess I didn't make sure the printer wasn't a
>> lemon, doh..
>
> Sorry you are having a problem with NewEgg. Have been doing business with
> them for yrs and have had to return things several times. They have
> always been a pleasure to deal with. If you look at any of the sights
> that rate business's you'll see the customers universally think NewEgg it
> top notch Co.
>
> Call NewEgg in place of using internet, you many have better luck dealing
> with your problem.
>
> Mickey

Absolute bullshit!

I buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment from Newegg every
year and have done so for quite a number of years now. I never have a
problem with them. They have rules, clearly stated rules, and if you follow
the rules you'll find that Newegg is a very responsible online company and
quite devoted to customer satisfaction.

All the OP needs to do is get a reference number from Canon. If Canon is
unwilling or unable to provide a reference number then the
problem/bottleneck lies with Canon, not Newegg.