AMD Athlon 3800+ AM2
MSI K9N SLi Platinum
Evga 7900 GT KO
Seagate 160gb SataII 3.0gb/s
HP DVD writer
OCZ DDR2 800(2gb)
Toshiba floppy
550w P/S

I tried loading Windows XP Home edition. I load the ULi driver so it recognizes the drive and then it says starting up windows and after a few seconds I get a stop message. It differs on the stop message but basically I get the blue screen each time I've tried it. Can someone please give me some suggestions as how to proceed? Am I dealing with bad motherboard or a bad hard drive? Thanks in advance.

pat

Expert
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but need help.

I have bought and am trying to setup the system below:

AMD Athlon 3800+ AM2
MSI K9N SLi Platinum
Evga 7900 GT KO
Seagate 160gb SataII 3.0gb/s
HP DVD writer
OCZ DDR2 800(2gb)
Toshiba floppy
550w P/S

I tried loading Windows XP Home edition. I load the ULi driver so it recognizes the drive and then it says starting up windows and after a few seconds I get a stop message. It differs on the stop message but basically I get the blue screen each time I've tried it. Can someone please give me some suggestions as how to proceed? Am I dealing with bad motherboard or a bad hard drive? Thanks in advance.

I rather think it is a case of user error.. Why the ULI driver? it is a nvidia chipset, not an ULI one. Just make sure RAID is disabled, and you won't have to load any drivers

Lakrfanatk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I've tried it both ways with and without the ULi drivers. I either get a stop 0x0000001d error with the driver or a stop 0x0000007e error without. And I have disabled the raid. Also, I'm using an older version of Home Edition so I thought that I might need the SATA drivers. Am I just using the wrong drivers? I pulled the drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard.

When I go into the Bios it recognizes the drive, mem, and dvd writer. I'm not sure what I'm missing as it has been quite a while since I've set up a new system so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I've tried it both ways with and without the ULi drivers. I either get a stop 0x0000001d error with the driver or a stop 0x0000007e error without. And I have disabled the raid. Also, I'm using an older version of Home Edition so I thought that I might need the SATA drivers. Am I just using the wrong drivers? I pulled the drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard.

When I go into the Bios it recognizes the drive, mem, and dvd writer. I'm not sure what I'm missing as it has been quite a while since I've set up a new system so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Know this sounds odd, but test your RAM. Bad RAM causes all kinda of nice effects. http://www.memtest86.com

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Do you have another *working* computer with a CD burner?

Try slipstreaming the any drivers you think are useful onto a CD with WinXP on it. Here's what you do.

Copy the files on the CD to a folder on your hard drive called "XP." Next, copy the driver files that you would ordinarily put on a floppy into the folder "Drivers," in the files you copied from the XP disc.

Next, download a problem called EasyBoot, from EZBsystems. This will help you create a bootable CD with the contents of your choosing, in your case a Windows XP installation disc with the SATA drivers already loaded. Booting with a CD created with EasyBoot will create a splash screen, which lets you choose whether to boot from the CD or from a hard drive.

Copy all the files from the "XP" folder you created into the folder EasyBoot tells you to put them in. Follow the instructions, which will create a .iso image of the slipstreamed install disc. Use CDBurnerXP (free download, just google it) to burn the image to a disc, and use the burned copy to install XP.

This will fix the problem of requiring a SATA driver floppy, because it already has the needed drivers, and if the original disc is scratched.

Just to test it, see if you can install XP using the original disc on a different computer.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Also try finding a newer driver online if one exists.

Does the XP Home CD you're using have SP1 or SP2?

It wouldn't suprise me if an original copy of XP didn't work with an SATA hard drive. You might need at least SP1. Remember SATA didn't exist back when XP came out.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
well i don't know about HOME but i have a original copy from xp pro and install nicely on sata drives without SP's no need for drivers neither on Nforce chipset or intle chipsets

Lakrfanatk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
That's good to know Sonic.....i'll try to get a copy of XP pro and try installing that instead. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Wish me luck. (crosses fingers)

pat

Expert
Yet another reason Home is cripple-ware right out of the box.

You have no clue about how Home or Pro are installed, because neither one will need any drivers if the chipset has the controller being controlled with basic INT13 BIOS call and both of them will need driver in BIOS has no clue about how to talk to the controller.

ATI, Intel, nvidia, ULI,... almost all modern chipset has the controller able to talk to the BIOS, either by selecting PATA emulation, IDE mode, SATA or disabling RAID.

Enabling RAID will likely need drivers with both of them, because chipset RAID is not supported by XP, only some well know addon RAID card has their own drivers, but most of the time, they are basic ones, and need an update right after the install to enable advanced feature.

To OP, since you really want to use ULI drivers with your nvidia chipset, be sure to get the latest nvidia drivers for your ATI video card and the latest m-audio drivers for your soundblaster sound card. If you have a nvidia video card, just get the proper ATI drivers..

Lakrfanatk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yet another reason Home is cripple-ware right out of the box.

You have no clue about how Home or Pro are installed, because neither one will need any drivers if the chipset has the controller being controlled with basic INT13 BIOS call and both of them will need driver in BIOS has no clue about how to talk to the controller.

ATI, Intel, nvidia, ULI,... almost all modern chipset has the controller able to talk to the BIOS, either by selecting PATA emulation, IDE mode, SATA or disabling RAID.

Enabling RAID will likely need drivers with both of them, because chipset RAID is not supported by XP, only some well know addon RAID card has their own drivers, but most of the time, they are basic ones, and need an update right after the install to enable advanced feature.

To OP, since you really want to use ULI drivers with your nvidia chipset, be sure to get the latest nvidia drivers for your ATI video card and the latest m-audio drivers for your soundblaster sound card. If you have a nvidia video card, just get the proper ATI drivers..

I don't really want to use ULi driver they are the drivers that came with the board. And I'm using an Nvidia 7900 GT KO card so what do ATI drivers have to do with it. Also, please don't come here to demean people who are trying to help at least they are here to try to explain and help unlike yourself. Stop trolling around trying to find something wrong with what people post and try to share what you know. Sorry, to everyone else but I tried to refine from responding to Pat's first post because it has no helpful info in it. You only tend to put people down so if that's what you want to do go find another post and harass those people. Please stay away from mine as I'm just trying to resolve my problem and I never claimed to know everything that's why I'm here asking for help.

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Could be video,ram or hard drive.

0x7e error at the start of the installation means that there is a device driver conflict during the hardware detection phase or a hardware fault. KB891892

The M$ fix for this is to remove all unecessary devices from the computer or search for the bad drivers!!

Cant search for the drivers if you cant boot so remove the video card and use onboard video. Remember to enable the onboard in bios. Take out the sound card if you have one. If you have two sticks of ram remove one.

Try to boot. If this does not work swap the ram and try again. Bad ram does all kinds of wonderful things.

A search of the M$ KB brings raid to the top of the list.

Obtain the latest drivers from the website and retry.

The 0x7d error means that there are no spin locks available to allocate. A spin lock is used to protect resources that a driver uses. (This is a mega simplified explanation - so please, no flames). None available mean probably the loaded driver is conflicting with something.

M$ says check your devices are on the HCL. They always say that.

Get the latest drivers and reinstall.

XP PRO is muuuuuccchhh better.

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Has anyone considered that if its not SP1 then it will not have 48-bit Hard Drive Addressing and will hit the 127GB limit?? Could cause the 0x7e error.

To OP, you should try to find out if your XP CD is SP1,SP2 or Original.

However, I agree with Pat. If anyone thinks this issue is caused by XP Home as opposed to XP Pro, I will travel back in time and prevent your birth.

Lakrfanatk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I have XP home original and I've done some more research on the board it's self to find out that the MB is having issues with the Tras of the memory being set wrong. I'm going to try changing the Tras in the bios. I did run a memory test and was coming up with error so I exchange the sticks with the reseller and then reinstalled. I made changes to the bios and now when I boot I don't even get to POST. I have seen this problem listed in the other forum and it was regarding the Tras. Worse comes to worse if changing the Tras doesn't work then I'm returning the board and ram for different types.

b_diddy_t

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have XP home original.

I would still watch out for the 127GB limit on XP Original... Do yourself a favour and find (or slipstream) yourself a copy of XP SP2. It will take out one more possible problem.

Lakrfanatk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Wow....more reading and more research has lead me to this conclusion.....with the current configuration.....the CPU cannot support the 800mhz speed because it is not dual core.....with that being said I will need to step down the speed to 667mhz.

Also, the Tras must be adjusted on the board to match the memory. I have yet to try all this but hope that I can still try these changes and have not burnt out my board, cpu and memory. Will update this thread when I find out more so that other people can avoid going through the same issues. And I just received an email back from OCZ support with this link
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22133

Some helpful tips for people with the MSI K9N SLi Platinum.

Thanks again everyone who had constructive input and suggestions :)