Cannot Add AD User

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 30, 2005 12:45:45 PM

I have 2 sites and one Domain Controller, sites have seperate subnets. I
cannot add a user if the workstation, XP, SP2 is in the site that is a
different subnet. No problem accessing the Add User and Check Names
feature, the username comes up but when I select finish I get a error that I
don't have rights. I have to move the PC back to the main building, 2 miles
to add the user.

What keeps me from adding the user if the workstation is on a different
subnet than the DC?? No prblems pinging the DC, I can even run remote
console and control the DC from a workstation in the second subnet.

dave Admin

More about : add user

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:38:18 PM

Not sure if this would cause that issue, but make sure that both subnets are
defined under a single site in AD Sites and Services so that all pc's will
be in the same site as the Dc.

Ed.

"dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 sites and one Domain Controller, sites have seperate subnets. I
>cannot add a user if the workstation, XP, SP2 is in the site that is a
>different subnet. No problem accessing the Add User and Check Names
>feature, the username comes up but when I select finish I get a error that
>I don't have rights. I have to move the PC back to the main building, 2
>miles to add the user.
>
> What keeps me from adding the user if the workstation is on a different
> subnet than the DC?? No prblems pinging the DC, I can even run remote
> console and control the DC from a workstation in the second subnet.
>
> dave Admin

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:50:22 PM

Interesting...I have each site setup with seperate subnets, so currently I
do not have the different subnets in the same site.

I am under the impression that every subnet should be in its own site.

dave Admin

"Ed Zakary" <edzakary at gmail d o t com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this would cause that issue, but make sure that both subnets
> are defined under a single site in AD Sites and Services so that all pc's
> will be in the same site as the Dc.
>
> Ed.
>

> "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
>>I have 2 sites and one Domain Controller, sites have seperate subnets. I
>>cannot add a user if the workstation, XP, SP2 is in the site that is a
>>different subnet. No problem accessing the Add User and Check Names
>>feature, the username comes up but when I select finish I get a error that
>>I don't have rights. I have to move the PC back to the main building, 2
>>miles to add the user.
>>
>> What keeps me from adding the user if the workstation is on a different
>> subnet than the DC?? No prblems pinging the DC, I can even run remote
>> console and control the DC from a workstation in the second subnet.
>>
>> dave Admin

July 4, 2005 2:19:59 AM

this could sound like a DNS problem. I understand that you have at least one
site without a DC. Do clients from that site point to the correct DNS server
(should be most probably the DC)?

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

> Interesting...I have each site setup with seperate subnets, so currently I
> do not have the different subnets in the same site.
>
> I am under the impression that every subnet should be in its own site.
>
> dave Admin
>

> "Ed Zakary" <edzakary at gmail d o t com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this would cause that issue, but make sure that both subnets
>> are defined under a single site in AD Sites and Services so that all pc's
>> will be in the same site as the Dc.
>>
>> Ed.
>>

>> "dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
>>>I have 2 sites and one Domain Controller, sites have seperate subnets. I
>>>cannot add a user if the workstation, XP, SP2 is in the site that is a
>>>different subnet. No problem accessing the Add User and Check Names
>>>feature, the username comes up but when I select finish I get a error
>>>that I don't have rights. I have to move the PC back to the main
>>>building, 2 miles to add the user.
>>>
>>> What keeps me from adding the user if the workstation is on a different
>>> subnet than the DC?? No prblems pinging the DC, I can even run remote
>>> console and control the DC from a workstation in the second subnet.
>>>
>>> dave Admin

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:36:26 AM

Active Directory sites should be defined based on available bandwidth more
than any other factor. If you have two subnets in the same building
connected over a 128k link, they would be more efficient as two separate
sites (depending on the number of clients and amount of network traffic) in
AD, each with their own DC and possibly DNS server. But if you've got an
office in Los Angeles and one in New York with a screaming fast, dedicated
fiber link between them and only a hanful of clients, it would be easiest to
have both subnets in the same AD site.

The purpose of the AD Sites is to help segregate network traffic, which in
your case does not seem like it is a big enough issue to merit separate AD
Sites for each subnet...

Hope that helps shed some light on the topic

Mike Shepperd
MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003
NewFuture Consulting
Seattle, Washington