main DC

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hi,

We have single w2k domain with three sites. When the third site was created
the guys at the time took one of the DC from the main office and dumped it in
the remote site(2Mb leased line). They did not create separate site in AD
sites and services etc.
I have now created the site and subnet and move that DC. AD repl.mon. show
all OK. when I type SET in a command prompt on the exchange server in the
head office I see that logon server is a local DC.
Having said that if I type "net time" in a command prompt on my pc in the
head office - I get reply the current time is \\<name of the machine in the
remote office>. Also if that DC in the remote office crashes exchange starts
to behave erraticaly although RUS are not using that remote DC.
Any idea why those services are still depending on that remote DC?

--
George

It sounds like the "main" DC that is now in the remote site, was the first
AD server in the environment. The first DC is by default the Time server,
that is why your computers are syncing to that machine. As for Exchange,
I'm wondering if that is the only Global Catalog (GC) server in the
environment. Go into AD Sites and Services and look at the properties on
the NTDS Settings objects under each DC to see which ones are GC's. Make
sure that there is a GC in the same site as the Exchange Server.

Ed

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have single w2k domain with three sites. When the third site was
> created
> the guys at the time took one of the DC from the main office and dumped it
> in
> the remote site(2Mb leased line). They did not create separate site in AD
> sites and services etc.
> I have now created the site and subnet and move that DC. AD repl.mon. show
> all OK. when I type SET in a command prompt on the exchange server in the
> head office I see that logon server is a local DC.
> Having said that if I type "net time" in a command prompt on my pc in the
> head office - I get reply the current time is \\<name of the machine in
> the
> remote office>. Also if that DC in the remote office crashes exchange
> starts
> to behave erraticaly although RUS are not using that remote DC.
> Any idea why those services are still depending on that remote DC?
>
> --
> George

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks Ed,

This may well be the AD server in the environment - are you suggesting to
get it back to head office and send anotherone to the remote site?

I have global catalogs in each site: Two in the head office and one in each
site(4 in total).

--
George

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have single w2k domain with three sites. When the third
> site was created
> the guys at the time took one of the DC from the main office
> and dumped it in
> the remote site(2Mb leased line). They did not create separate
> site in AD
> sites and services etc.
> I have now created the site and subnet and move that DC. AD
> repl.mon. show
> all OK. when I type SET in a command prompt on the exchange
> server in the
> head office I see that logon server is a local DC.
> Having said that if I type "net time" in a command prompt on
> my pc in the
> head office - I get reply the current time is \<name of the
> machine in the
> remote office>. Also if that DC in the remote office crashes
> exchange starts
> to behave erraticaly although RUS are not using that remote
> DC.
> Any idea why those services are still depending on that remote
> DC?
>
> --
> George

although you moved the DC to another site its DNS records might still
be register in the OLD site. It is also possible that clients are
being authenticated by the remote DC. you need to clean up the service
records of the moved DC in the old site. Check if its records exist in
the old site

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-main-DC-ftopict551849.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748780