joining domain

Attempting to install AD on 2nd DC.
when attempting to join domain get error message.

The specified user already exist.

This is a very generic message.

DNS has pulled in the zone from the DC

Any suggestions?

Kevin Paulus, CCNA, MCP

Kevin,

The DC you're trying to add probably has an account in AD from when
that machine was added at some point in the past. If you dont find an
existing machine account for the DC you're trying to promote, you might
try running "net computer \\NewDCName /DEL" from the DC that is running
AD.

chris

I am not trying to promote the new DC. This is a fresh install.
I will try the del.

Kevin

"Chris Malone" <persillade@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Kevin,
>
> The DC you're trying to add probably has an account in AD from when
> that machine was added at some point in the past. If you dont find an
> existing machine account for the DC you're trying to promote, you might
> try running "net computer \\NewDCName /DEL" from the DC that is running
> AD.
>
> chris

Thanks Chris, your suggestion worked !!

Kevin

"Chris Malone" <persillade@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Kevin,
>
> The DC you're trying to add probably has an account in AD from when
> that machine was added at some point in the past. If you dont find an
> existing machine account for the DC you're trying to promote, you might
> try running "net computer \\NewDCName /DEL" from the DC that is running
> AD.
>
> chris

Glad to help. You can indirectly thank JJ Antequino from Microsoft who
told me this obscure solution once upon a time. : )

chris

"" wrote:
> Attempting to install AD on 2nd DC.
> when attempting to join domain get error message.
>
> The specified user already exist.
>
> This is a very generic message.
>
> DNS has pulled in the zone from the DC
>
> Any suggestions?