Need to Copy More Attributes from User Template

Hi,

When we create new users by copying from templates, we found some attributes
which were copied in User Manage for Domain (NT), such as Description, and
some new attributes, such as Street, will not be copied to the new accounts.

I found the following info from Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_usr_cioj.mspx?pf=true

"Another way of completing the copy user account task is by using the schema
attribute of IADs to determine which attributes of the user class are
optional, then check the template user account to determine which of these
attributes contain values. For those that do contain values, write those
values to the new user account object. This approach does not require you to
define the specific attributes you want assigned to the new user account."

I believe this will solve my problem. Does any know any detail info about
this approach and can provide me the link to it?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
3 answers Last reply
More about need copy attributes user template

    To get most attributes to copy when doing a template, you need the edit
    the "searchFlags" property using ADSIEDIT of that attribute and add
    0x16
    to whatever is already there (so you are turning the 5th bit on). For
    streetAddress you will have to add that attribute to the User class.

    I don't know of a place where all this is documented....

    chris

    I forgot to mention that after you set searchFlags, you go into the
    schema snap-in and (for that attribute) check "This attribute is copied
    when duplicating a user".

    chris

    Thank you very much, Chris!

    Eric

    "Chris Malone" <persillade@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To get most attributes to copy when doing a template, you need the edit
    > the "searchFlags" property using ADSIEDIT of that attribute and add
    > 0x16
    > to whatever is already there (so you are turning the 5th bit on). For
    > streetAddress you will have to add that attribute to the User class.
    >
    > I don't know of a place where all this is documented....
    >
    > chris

Microsoft Active Directory Windows