Weirdest behaviour - dns or active directory?

Hi People

I have 2 dcs both run dns and one runs dhcp (dhcp server 10.0.0.2)

when i run the following command on my DC DHCP server one

netsh dhcp show server

it reports 2 dhcp servers called server01.mydomain.local (my only DHCP
server with ip 10.0.0.2 and another with another private ip
192.168.1.2)

i changed the ip of the dhcp server from 192.168.1.2 to the 10.x.x.x
range like a month ago but it appears that there is still a reference
to it

I guess this is more of an active directory thing as it says the
records were found in the directory service the really weird thing is
that if you ping that now non exitant 192.x.x.x ip address you DO get
one response but it is from my WAN ip reporting net unreachable- now
what on earth is going on there? the other 3 packets sent by ping fail
to come back

I have pasted the result of the above netsh command and the result of a
ping - can anyone please explain what is going on here and also how can
i remove the old 192.x.x.x dhcp server from the directory THIS IS WHAT
I REALL NEED TO KNOW

C:\Documents and Settings\manager>netsh dhcp show server

2 Servers were found in the directory service:

Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [10.0.0.2] Ds location:
cn=10.0.0.2

Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [192.168.1.2] Ds location:
cn=192.168.1.2

Command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\manager>ping 192.168.1.2

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 83.146.17.222: Destination net unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:

Does anyone know if this record in AD will cause a problem? have
checked dns and there is nothing i can see relating to this old server
so how does AD resolve 192.168.1.2 to server01.mydomain.local - is this
ALL cached somewhere from as long ago as a month - it could well be more

there is probably a simple explanation but where is it?

thanks in advance

Simon

pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Hi,

If you would like to remove the old object from AD do the following:

1) Install Support Tools
2) Launch ADSIEDIT.MSC
3) Navigate to the Confiuration NC (CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com)
4) Expand CN=Services
5) Expand CN=NetServices
6) There you should see the following objects on the dHCPClass:

CN=DhcpRoot
CN=192.168.1.2
CN=10.0.0.2

7) Delete the CN=192.168.1.2 object
8) A rebbot should not be required, when I deleted the object (1 had only
one) and run NETSH DHCP SHOW SERVER it came back with 0 objects found.

Hope this helps,

Bart

"pscyime" wrote:

> Hi People
>

> I have 2 dcs both run dns and one runs dhcp (dhcp server 10.0.0.2)
>
> when i run the following command on my DC DHCP server one
>
> netsh dhcp show server
>
> it reports 2 dhcp servers called server01.mydomain.local (my only DHCP
> server with ip 10.0.0.2 and another with another private ip
> 192.168.1.2)
>
> i changed the ip of the dhcp server from 192.168.1.2 to the 10.x.x.x
> range like a month ago but it appears that there is still a reference
> to it
>
> I guess this is more of an active directory thing as it says the
> records were found in the directory service the really weird thing is
> that if you ping that now non exitant 192.x.x.x ip address you DO get
> one response but it is from my WAN ip reporting net unreachable- now
> what on earth is going on there? the other 3 packets sent by ping fail
> to come back
>
> I have pasted the result of the above netsh command and the result of a
> ping - can anyone please explain what is going on here and also how can
> i remove the old 192.x.x.x dhcp server from the directory THIS IS WHAT
> I REALL NEED TO KNOW
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\manager>netsh dhcp show server
>
> 2 Servers were found in the directory service:
>
> Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [10.0.0.2] Ds location:
> cn=10.0.0.2
>
> Server [server01.mydomain.local] Address [192.168.1.2] Ds location:
> cn=192.168.1.2
>
> Command completed successfully.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\manager>ping 192.168.1.2
>
> Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Request timed out.
> Reply from 83.146.17.222: Destination net unreachable.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
>

> Does anyone know if this record in AD will cause a problem? have
> checked dns and there is nothing i can see relating to this old server
> so how does AD resolve 192.168.1.2 to server01.mydomain.local - is this
> ALL cached somewhere from as long ago as a month - it could well be more
>

> there is probably a simple explanation but where is it?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Simon

> pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

hi

i came to exactly the same solution as you posted, took a bit of
fumbling my way round adsiedit but i sussed it eventually

i have since noticed that the dhcpclass can also be seen from ad sites
and services >services>netservices

anyway thanks for the somewhat belated answer :)

regards

pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access