Failure of Operation Master DC

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 1, 2005 2:22:47 PM

Hello.

Our domain controller in role of operation master failed because of HW
failure.
The second DC overtook all functions of AD in our network.
Now I am going to repair the unfunctioning DC, I hope the discs will be OK.

What would happened if I weren't successful in recovery:
is it possible to force the second DC to the role of operation master in
case of unavailability of the first one ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Pavel Zacha
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:49:07 PM

Pavel Zacha wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Our domain controller in role of operation master failed because of HW
> failure.
> The second DC overtook all functions of AD in our network.
> Now I am going to repair the unfunctioning DC, I hope the discs will be OK.
>
> What would happened if I weren't successful in recovery:
> is it possible to force the second DC to the role of operation master in
> case of unavailability of the first one ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer.

You can seize FSMO role to other DC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

--
Tomasz Onyszko
http://www.w2k.pl

"" wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Our domain controller in role of operation master failed
> because of HW
> failure.
> The second DC overtook all functions of AD in our network.
> Now I am going to repair the unfunctioning DC, I hope the
> discs will be OK.
>
> What would happened if I weren't successful in recovery:
> is it possible to force the second DC to the role of operation
> master in
> case of unavailability of the first one ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer.
>
> Pavel Zacha

if you have other DCs in the domain. first try to transfer the FSMO
roles of the failing DC to a healthy DC. also try to move
functionalitites it has to another DC. after that.. kill the failing
DC and rebuild it using other HW.

If you need to recover it from backup try at least transfering the
FSMO roles to another DC.

If you cannot transfer the FSMO roles, shutdown the failing DC SEIZE
the FSMO roles to a healthy DC and REBUILD the DC. DO NOT RESTORE IT
FROM BACKUP AFTER SEIZING THE ROLES!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255690
http://www.petri.co.il/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm